What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Tigers.

As much as I am intrigued at the thought of Field starting, can’t help thinking this is a McGregor brain fade.

Field is the worst defender I have seen wear the big red V. Until he learns to take, Field should not start.

See him as a super sub in the last 10-15 minutes of each half.

possm

Coach
As much as I am intrigued at the thought of Field starting, can’t help thinking this is a McGregor brain fade.

Field is the worst defender I have seen wear the big red V. Until he learns to take, Field should not start.

See him as a super sub in the last 10-15 minutes of each half.

If Mary selects Lomax at right centre, he could have Aitken on the bench sub for outside backs or backrow forwards. Only 7min so can't do much harm.

getsmarty

Immortal
And I'm totally serious.

He is a great prospect...if he didn't injure his hand he probably would have been given a start already...

Maybe today...he will get action if named on the bench...and if we are leading Mary will put him on for the last 2 mins.

LINESPEED

Juniors
That
Really, why can't Mary just sack Aitken for this game and put Lomax in his place. If all goes well then he can play the rest of the season there.

Should've been done Rd1 & we'd've probably been minor premiers if Herbert had also replaced Lafai IMO - a no brainier for a no brainer FFS

Crush

Coach
To be honest Im sitting here contemplating whether I will bother watching the game at all.....I have zero confidence in our blokes at the moment......hard to believe I am undecided about viewing it after being away recently overseas for 8 weeks and being unable to watch the footy....unbelievable to think yet once again we are in this position after where we were a few weeks back
BSE give yourself an uppercut mate!
Your beloved dragons are playing for their season tonight and still have a chance to play finals.
Ofcourse you will watch it, pull your head in! :wink:

My man Gasnier

Juniors
He , Mary said yesterday that “ We’v got football team that I think can win this competition “. Reality still has not bitten him on the posterior , otherwise he certainly would not had made such an outlandish comment . Therefore you can go out and bet your home on the exact same tactics being used as in our previous losses .

Still I am going to say that the Dragons will surprise and come home with the 2 competition points - I hope .

Outlandish comment might be a bit of a stretch? Did you not think this same team were looking like they could win the comp at the start of the year, particularly when we smashed Melbourne?

Dragsters

First Grade
I've got a feeling i'm going to cop it deluxe up on that hill today but really hope i'm wrong. If they don't fire up sooner or later Mary has lost the dressing shed as well as having no idea. It seemed like he had lost it after last week but it's usually not til the week after and how they respond that really shows it. Surely Mary is now on very thin ice, hence all the media spin and crap during the week.

I'm on the lightfail and the carriage is full of tigpies.

Game on...

possm

Coach
Outlandish comment might be a bit of a stretch? Did you not think this same team were looking like they could win the comp at the start of the year, particularly when we smashed Melbourne?

Yes they did very well to lead the comp for the first half of the season. We were outstanding and look to be unbeatable. However, once the rot began to set in, Mary should have dropped the out of form players and rested the tired forwards on a rotation basis even if we lost the majority of games doing this, we would have fresh players ready to go at the right end of the competition.

My man Gasnier

Juniors
Yes they did very well to lead the comp for the first half of the season. We were outstanding and look to be unbeatable. However, once the rot began to set in, Mary should have dropped the out of form players and rested the tired forwards on a rotation basis even if we lost the majority of games doing this, we would have fresh players ready to go at the right end of the competition.

That would have to make us the only team in the competition with a rotation policy in selections then. I agree that we have a lot of tired legs at the moment, but if other clubs can handle the workload of a full season without a selection rotation policy why can't we?

Alas these are for the 'experts' in the coaching staff to resolve.

possm

Coach
That would have to make us the only team in the competition with a rotation policy in selections then. I agree that we have a lot of tired legs at the moment, but if other clubs can handle the workload of a full season without a selection rotation policy why can't we?

Alas these are for the 'experts' in the coaching staff to resolve.
The reason we are tired now is because we played intense out of your skin football in the early rounds. I'd say the fitness staff prepared our players to be good to go flat out from game one. Unfortunately our forwards became tired and busted half way through the season and when they slowed down our backs and halves just could not play their normal game.

So if you don't start the competition at full speed, then maybe you can make it through without a planned rotation of your forwards. We did play at full speed and 4 of our best forwards played SOO as well.

Gareth67

First Grade

No , not really , unfortunately I did not believe that the Dragons would go all the way in 2018 . I did however believe that they would certainly be in the top 4 at seasons end - I was taken in by the great performances of the forward pack , the combination of Widdop and Hunt and the backs that were scoring tries so frequently . The way the Dragons totally dominated the opposition .

But guess what Gaz ? They fell in a heap yet again , as they had done in ‘16-‘17 . However on this occasion it is even worse as Mary has the team that he wanted - James Graham whose never say die attitude worked with the other forwards and Hunt who actually performed extremely well in the early part of the year , well it’s all gone down the gurgler now .

The common denominator in this is the coach , so to finally answer your question in the shortest possible way , yes the comment was outlandish in fact downright stupefying when coming from the coach who truly believes that he only needs to say the right things to the media and someone will then wave a magic wand and we will all see a St.George Illawarra team that is capable of winning this years premiership .

Overseas dragon

Juniors
To be honest Im sitting here contemplating whether I will bother watching the game at all.....I have zero confidence in our blokes at the moment......hard to believe I am undecided about viewing it after being away recently overseas for 8 weeks and being unable to watch the footy....unbelievable to think yet once again we are in this position after where we were a few weeks back
you never heard of WATCH NRL you can watch it anywhere overseas

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_isp_dragons_round_4_knights_jai_field.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Late mail: Round 23 v Wests Tigers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 18 Aug 2018, 04:30 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 for the Dragons' Round 23 clash against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday, August 18.

Jai Field has been included on the interchange in place of Jacob Host, in what will be the live wire's first NRL game of the season.

Like last week Tyson Frizell shifts to the front row, Luciano Leilua to the back row and Leeson Ah Mau reverts to the bench.

NRL squad for Round 23 v Wests Tigers:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
6. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt– sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morganhttps://www.mymusclechef.com/
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Westfund
19. Jai Field - – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/18/late-mail-round-23-v-wests-tigers/

MilanDragon

Juniors
Field on the bench and Mann at half.

Frizz starts at prop with LAM to the bench.

Would really have liked to see field start. Hopefully first he gets some game time. Secondly that game time is longer than 6 minutes.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing him come on after say 30mins for JDB and move Mann into the forward rotation like other games.

Latest posts