What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Saturday 24th March @ ANZ Stadium v Manly Sea Eagles

Travitoh

First Grade
It's pretty cliche but if we keep hold of the footy, we'll win this game.
Our pack rotation is better than Manly's and if AD can step up today and steer the side around and excecute his kicks, we'll win by 8.

Travitoh

First Grade
Any complaints about effort and attitude tonight?
It took a couple of weeks but the team has clicked. The big difference from last week is that our leaders stood up and led the way and AD took control of the side.
Fantastic game tonight in difficult conditions against a decent side.

5-3 by May :thumbsup:

callmack1

Staff member
F**k yea!!! We're on the board for 2018! We're underway! We've all been saying for a wee while now that we're building and we're not far away from clicking. Boy, that was true tonight!

Desire and passion, that was all there tonight. The effort was up and the boys showed real heart there, probably the best we've seen in a fair while.

It was also incredible pleasing that we kept the foot on the throat and kept attacking unlike last week. I was having visions of a Manly comeback when they scored but the boys weren't phased and they went about their business beautifully.

Attack tonight was obviously really good. The forwards got on top of them early on with hard running and we were making great metres. From there, our attack flourished and we looked great in challenging conditions. Throwing the ball around while still keeping it controlled and direct. Doueihi stepped up big time and took control, he shat all over Cherry-Evans tonight. And I said it last week too but our outside backs were brilliant with the tough yards, they started the sets strongly and really helped the forwards.

Defensively, that was awesome too. We were really aggressive and for once, the boys all looked on the same page, we were able to pressure them with the defence and force them into errors. That left edge looked really shaky in Round 1 but Gags and Kennar have struck up a great combination. To turn away a team that was on fire last week is no mean feat and really, we should have held them to nil. Great defence tonight.

There are still some work on's though. Even though overall the defence was great, I thought our line speed could've been better as at times, the boys would take a couple of steps forward and then just wait. This gives the opposition time and leads to more metres. It wasn't bad all the time but we need to improve this area.

Also, it was fixed up in the second stanza but I was disappointed how we were constantly giving away penalties and letting them out of their evenly, this will cost us if it doesn't improve but it was good to see we fixed it up.

A few times we didn't complete after points too which is a big no no but thankfully our great defence prevailed.

Johnston: Was great. His best game this year by a mile! Fantastic positional play all night which saved our asses a few times and lead to his brilliant try, how good was that to watch!!! He really stepped up with his ball playing too and threw some beautiful balls for Jennings. A great game from AJ.

Jennings: What a game from him! If you'd told me a few weeks ago he'd be this good, I wouldn't have believed you. I think he topped the count for running metres which is just outstanding in a game dominated by forwards. This is the area he's really stepped up in. Then there was his hat trick, how good was that?! A great finisher.

Inglis: A bit quiet early on but when he became more involved, he looked good. Some fantastic runs and got his big frame pumping. The fend is returning too!! I was happy with his performance but I still think we need to get him more involved.

Gagai: Much like GI, he was quiet early on but really came into the game after a bit. Strong running and was able to generate quick play the balls. I was pleased with the amount of shit work he did and he was real solid in this regard. Defensively he made some real good decisions as well.

Kennar: Another solid game. Great, strong, powerful runs and in defence he was real good. I love how him and Gagai are starting to work really well on that edge. Two tries too to put the cherry on top.

Doueihi: Reyno who? What a performance! Really stepped up tonight and controlled the game beautifully. A much improved kicking game and his options in attack were decent. I loved the way he was giving all the boys orders during breaks in play as well. A top performance and he really emerged tonight!

Walker: Was good. Stepped up from last week, and didn't fade out of the game this time. He was electric and kept the defence guessing big time, had a big hand in a few of our tries and created a lot of options, I just love his style of play! Kicking game was better tonight I thought.

T.Burgess: Solid. Great, powerful runs and he made plenty of metres. I'm liking how he's going looking for the ball more and getting busy. Tom did make a few errors and gave away penalties but I can forgive that.

Cook: A nice, balanced performance from him. Didn't run as much but he got the forwards rolling nicely and still appeared to be dangerous in attack. Again, he was good in defence too.

S.Burgess: What a performance! So inspirational! Lead the way and was so aggressive the whole game. Got up in the faces of Parra and really disrupted their rhythm, I loved that hit he put on Fonua-Blake! In attack he was a workhorse and did a fantastic job. Man of the match!

Sutton: A good, solid game. Nice running game and defensively he looked better, he was sliding better and getting across to to help his outside backs. Seems to have found some match fitness too.

Crichton: Was better, his best game this year. Looked like the 2017 Gus at times with good lines run. He seemed more focussed and his effort was much better.

Murray: Very impressive. Boy he's just an absolute workhorse and goes hard all game. Big metres, a lot of work and so good in defence. I love this kid!

Hunt: Scored a great try off Cody but otherwise had minimal impact. Tbh, I don't understand why he was there and imo, we'd be better off having another forward there.

Nicholls: Solid. Did his job well.

Tatola: Much like Nicholls, did his job. I liked his impact and he goes hard all the time.

G.Burgess: Great impact off the bench! Some awesome runs and like Tom, seems to be building. Still made a few errors but was really aggressive in defence.

Manly weren't great so we can't get too ahead of ourselves but I'm really stoked with that!

All in all, a great victory against our more fancied opponents. The challenge now is to keep it up.

Rabbits20

Immortal
So many messages and all!!! My phone been running hot!

Well Glory Glory lads and I'm pumped!!
@callmack1 @Itsamansgame @Souths Till I Die

I will go into more depth later but first of all:

f**k Manly and f**k the refs!

I got no voice left!

11-4 penalty count, get f**ked!

They got away with murder in that game!!

Probably only about 9,000 diehard Bunnies members there but so much passion around me!

I'm pumped!

When George collared DCE everyone went absolutely crazy!

Also when AJ went the field!!

I had a blast lads!!!!

But I'll say this, we must back this up against the Dogs next week otherwise tonight means nothing! With harder games coming up we need to get the win against the Dogs at all costs!!!!!

Where are the lol@Souths pussies????? Get that up ya!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
F**k yea!!! We're on the board for 2018! We're underway! We've all been saying for a wee while now that we're building and we're not far away from clicking. Boy, that was true tonight!

Desire and passion, that was all there tonight. The effort was up and the boys showed real heart there, probably the best we've seen in a fair while.

It was also incredible pleasing that we kept the foot on the throat and kept attacking unlike last week. I was having visions of a Manly comeback when they scored but the boys weren't phased and they went about their business beautifully.

Attack tonight was obviously really good. The forwards got on top of them early on with hard running and we were making great metres. From there, our attack flourished and we looked great in challenging conditions. Throwing the ball around while still keeping it controlled and direct. Doueihi stepped up big time and took control, he shat all over Cherry-Evans tonight. And I said it last week too but our outside backs were brilliant with the tough yards, they started the sets strongly and really helped the forwards.

Defensively, that was awesome too. We were really aggressive and for once, the boys all looked on the same page, we were able to pressure them with the defence and force them into errors. That left edge looked really shaky in Round 1 but Gags and Kennar have struck up a great combination. To turn away a team that was on fire last week is no mean feat and really, we should have held them to nil. Great defence tonight.

There are still some work on's though. Even though overall the defence was great, I thought our line speed could've been better as at times, the boys would take a couple of steps forward and then just wait. This gives the opposition time and leads to more metres. It wasn't bad all the time but we need to improve this area.

Also, it was fixed up in the second stanza but I was disappointed how we were constantly giving away penalties and letting them out of their evenly, this will cost us if it doesn't improve but it was good to see we fixed it up.

A few times we didn't complete after points too which is a big no no but thankfully our great defence prevailed.

Johnston: Was great. His best game this year by a mile! Fantastic positional play all night which saved our asses a few times and lead to his brilliant try, how good was that to watch!!! He really stepped up with his ball playing too and threw some beautiful balls for Jennings. A great game from AJ.

Jennings: What a game from him! If you'd told me a few weeks ago he'd be this good, I wouldn't have believed you. I think he topped the count for running metres which is just outstanding in a game dominated by forwards. This is the area he's really stepped up in. Then there was his hat trick, how good was that?! A great finisher.

Inglis: A bit quiet early on but when he became more involved, he looked good. Some fantastic runs and got his big frame pumping. The fend is returning too!! I was happy with his performance but I still think we need to get him more involved.

Gagai: Much like GI, he was quiet early on but really came into the game after a bit. Strong running and was able to generate quick play the balls. I was pleased with the amount of shit work he did and he was real solid in this regard. Defensively he made some real good decisions as well.

Kennar: Another solid game. Great, strong, powerful runs and in defence he was real good. I love how him and Gagai are starting to work really well on that edge. Two tries too to put the cherry on top.

Doueihi: Reyno who? What a performance! Really stepped up tonight and controlled the game beautifully. A much improved kicking game and his options in attack were decent. I loved the way he was giving all the boys orders during breaks in play as well. A top performance and he really emerged tonight!

Walker: Was good. Stepped up from last week, and didn't fade out of the game this time. He was electric and kept the defence guessing big time, had a big hand in a few of our tries and created a lot of options, I just love his style of play! Kicking game was better tonight I thought.

T.Burgess: Solid. Great, powerful runs and he made plenty of metres. I'm liking how he's going looking for the ball more and getting busy. Tom did make a few errors and gave away penalties but I can forgive that.

Cook: A nice, balanced performance from him. Didn't run as much but he got the forwards rolling nicely and still appeared to be dangerous in attack. Again, he was good in defence too.

S.Burgess: What a performance! So inspirational! Lead the way and was so aggressive the whole game. Got up in the faces of Parra and really disrupted their rhythm, I loved that hit he put on Fonua-Blake! In attack he was a workhorse and did a fantastic job. Man of the match!

Sutton: A good, solid game. Nice running game and defensively he looked better, he was sliding better and getting across to to help his outside backs. Seems to have found some match fitness too.

Crichton: Was better, his best game this year. Looked like the 2017 Gus at times with good lines run. He seemed more focussed and his effort was much better.

Murray: Very impressive. Boy he's just an absolute workhorse and goes hard all game. Big metres, a lot of work and so good in defence. I love this kid!

Hunt: Scored a great try off Cody but otherwise had minimal impact. Tbh, I don't understand why he was there and imo, we'd be better off having another forward there.

Nicholls: Solid. Did his job well.

Tatola: Much like Nicholls, did his job. I liked his impact and he goes hard all the time.

G.Burgess: Great impact off the bench! Some awesome runs and like Tom, seems to be building. Still made a few errors but was really aggressive in defence.

Manly weren't great so we can't get too ahead of ourselves but I'm really stoked with that!

All in all, a great victory against our more fancied opponents. The challenge now is to keep it up.
Some of those penalties shouldn't have been penalties!!!

They got away with lots! Their markers weren't square and they were offside!

AJ like the way he attacked one of their grubbers at 18-6 when they were coming was brilliant! Everyone was going banana' when he went the length!

Kennar is the man!!! He's my new man crush!!! Wow so good at the shit work! I love it. He's a goer this guy! Great buy!!! Loved his sheer desperation in defence too! Wow!

Gagai made a few crunching tackles and I thought he was strong overall!

GI is getting better each week which is great!

Jennings like I'll admit I was quite doubtful on him but wow that was magnificent! What a performance!!! He was even hitting the ball up off the kick off!

Cody was great!!! Didn't stop scheming tonight!

Doueihi played beyond his years!!! Goal kicking is an issue though that I hope won't cost us next week!

The twins did a couple of silly things but made up for it!

Cook was very good once again...

Sutto did well and I was proud!!

Much much better from Angus after a bit of a shaky start!

Slammin Kamikaze Sam like wow!!! Inspirational!!!!! Loved the look on his face after he thought the Moanly player infringed and the ref wouldn't pull the whistle out of his arse which he hadn't done to to us for like an hour!!

Murray: was very good in the middle!! Really makes us a better team there!! Loved everything he did!

Tatola is very quick and I like how he plays in the middle for a big lad!

Hunt: He will be there next week again but I'd prefer Turner

Nicholls: Solid

My big worry is we get Cecchin as ref next week!!

We were a bit clunky at times so there is stuff to work on!!

I still felt at times we missed AR for his organisation!!

First half kicking game wasn't as good as it could've been!

At times control wasn't taken! It wasn't fluent!

Second half the kicking game really improved which was great!

Last edited:

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Some of those penalties shouldn't have been penalties!!!

They got away with lots! Their markers weren't square and they were offside!

AJ like the way he attacked one of their grubbers at 18-6 when they were coming was brilliant! Everyone was going banana' when he went the length!

Kennar is the man!!! He's my new man crush!!! Wow so good at the shit work! I love it. He's a goer this guy! Great buy!!! Loved his sheer desperation in defence too! Wow!

Gagai made a few crunching tackles and I thought he was strong overall!

GI is getting better each week which is great!

Jennings like I'll admit I was quite doubtful on him but wow that was magnificent! What a performance!!! He was even hitting the ball up off the kick off!

Cody was great!!! Didn't stop scheming tonight!

Doueihi played beyond his years!!! Goal kicking is an issue though that I hope won't cost us next week!

The twins did a couple of silly things but made up for it!

Cook was very good once again...

Sutto did well and I was proud!!

Much much better from Angus after a bit of a shaky start!

Slammin Kamikaze Sam like wow!!! Inspirational!!!!! Loved the look on his face after he thought the Moanly player infringed and the ref wouldn't pull the whistle out of his arse which he hadn't done to to us for like an hour!!

Murray: was very good in the middle!! Really makes us a better team there!! Loved everything he did!

Tatola is very quick and I like how he plays in the middle for a big lad!

Hunt: He will be there next week again but I'd prefer Turner

Nicholls: Solid

My big worry is we get Cecchin as ref next week!!

We were a bit clunky at times so there is stuff to work on!!

I still felt at times we missed AR for his organisation!!

First half kicking game wasn't as good as it could've been!

At times control wasn't taken! It wasn't fluent!

Second half the kicking game really improved which was great!
All I can say is how good is Slammin Sam!! Aggressive, passionate, mongrel, explosive, wears his heart on his sleeve, bleeds red and green ! Best forward in the NRL. A true champion:D

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Isn't lovely to wake up happy and invigorated after a win like that a complete team effort and congratulations to Siebold for his first NRL victory as coach.
Still early days but what I like at the moment is that each game they have improved and the combinations are beginning to gell ,wouldn't it be great to see Jennings and Kennar end up with the amount of tries the Storm wingers post each season.
The 2 guys I'm very pleased with at the moment are Nicholls and Tatola,they have given us great value coming off the bench and it seems that Siebold is getting his rotations sorted at the moment.
As I said early days but isn't it going to be a happier week for us all,GLORY GLORY!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Went to both the games last night and I was absolutely stoked. I was sitting with a friend who’s a mad manly fan and he was talking his team up the whole way to the game on the bus.

Manly came out with the mentality to put 50 on us straight away and it killed them. We were absolutely killing it in defence and the attack followed.

I really felt like last night was a fantastic team effort. Everyone was playing for eachother and it was fantastic to see.

Kennar and Jennings are absolute quality wingers and we have really benefitted from them doing the hard yards in our own 20.

Was a great game to watch and hopefully we can back it up next week with a good performance. I don’t want to see us make the same mistake as manly and try to put 50 on the bulldogs straight away.

truthslayer

Juniors
My Observations: Firstly the refs! Interesting to read R20 comments.I cant understand thatSouths had a high penalty count and Manly low! The refs are not being consistent and seem they single Souths out, Manly on average markers, Slowing the playdown, offside etc and Souths received just 4 penalties! RUBBISH. Clap to George Burgess his form is fantastic his tackle on Cherry showed his agility and mobility far better than the last season. Tom great and Sam well he is commitment plus. Cameron Murray what a player, his tackling is first class and attack is good also, a Star, Crichton good game but I'm glad we have Murray and he moves on to the Roosters next year. Douehi fantastic, if he keeps this form up, Adam will be kept on the sidelines, and i don't have a problem with that. GI getting stronger each game, who said Kennar and Jennings were duds! Johnston his best game so far, Walker did his job as did Cook. Sutton Solid as were the bench. Well done coach. I hope we can back it up next week no one can afford to take games cheaply!

Latest posts