What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Cowboys

Kev07

Juniors
May at 13 brings both Egan or Katoa next year into starting hooker and/or bench utility with Wallace retiring and a prop rotation of RCG,Merrin,Tamou,JFH & Leota with last 2 who can also play back row.
May's utility also means he could cover in halves.

Pomoz I heard through the grapevine that Merrin couldn't hit his passes during training in set plays they devised and that sealed his move to prop

OldPanther

Coach
Merrin was a prop. Got moved because of the big lock phase he would make a great backrower in the Wade Graham mould.

You could see they were getting him to pass more. Didn't last long and now we know why:

May at 13 brings both Egan or Katoa next year into starting hooker and/or bench utility with Wallace retiring and a prop rotation of RCG,Merrin,Tamou,JFH & Leota with last 2 who can also play back row.

Pomoz I heard through the grapevine that Merrin couldn't hit his passes during training in set plays they devised and that sealed his move to prop

betcats

Referee

Leota has never played on the edge as far as I know. He's just a middle forward.

OldPanther

Coach
NRL 360 last night took notice and started talking us up. The media curse has been activated.

This weeks game preview:

BBQ Maloney and the maternity ward Vs Positive media attention. Battle for the ages.

maple_69

Bench
I think May have a lot to prove before taking over from JFH. We are second on the back of ultra aggressive line speed, league best conditioning and the form half in the comp. JFH is leading the line along with Reg consistently.

I love the idea of having ball players all over the place but we also need Cleary and Maloney to be able to work together before we complicate roles. Come finals time though, one game winning playmaker won’t be enough.

TheFrog

Coach
I feel cowboys eventualy will click but who knows when. On paper still a top 4 side
I don't know so much. They;ve slowly been dropping down the table ever since they won the comp. They have very much the same side, all 3 years older. Last year they limped into 8th. They were made favourites or nearly so for this year on the basis of three wins, all of them against teams that took them lightly and who haven't set the world on fire this year either, and on the back of the return of two aging champions who haven't come close to old glories.

Maybe they'll roll us this week. They are desperate and could be dangerous if things go their way, and we've got a lot of players out. But I feel their time as a premiership threat is over until they conduct a major overhaul of their roster.

Last edited:

kinghippo

Juniors
I think May have a lot to prove before taking over from JFH. We are second on the back of ultra aggressive line speed, league best conditioning and the form half in the comp. JFH is leading the line along with Reg consistently.

I love the idea of having ball players all over the place but we also need Cleary and Maloney to be able to work together before we complicate roles. Come finals time though, one game winning playmaker won’t be enough.
I agree and am disappointed to hear that May be the plan for him ( see what I did there :smile:)
I can see the value in it with another ball player in the squad but the absolute last thing we need is another second rower.
I don’t mind if it’s a plan to be more useful as a utility but seriously we are almost fielding a full team of second row at the moment, I would rather see him in the centres or fullback.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
With Peachey leaving, and May’s versatility (assuming he regains his old form after the ACL injury), perhaps his best role in the team will be as a utility?

With injuries being a reality of every season, it would be great to have a Peachey style replacement who could play centre, 5/8 or lock as needs dictate. That is of course unless he just shows himself to be fantastic in any on of those roles such that he makes it his own.

superpanther

Juniors
if Penrith win it will be because cowboys are poor if the cows win it will be because they played superb!!!!! Penrith never get any credit when they win but other teams the media always use the excuse they have a lot of injuries/players out that is why they struggle!!!

OldPanther

Coach
if Penrith win it will be because cowboys are poor if the cows win it will be because they played superb!!!!! Penrith never get any credit when they win but other teams the media always use the excuse they have a lot of injuries/players out that is why they struggle!!!

NRL 360 mentioned it the other night. The media is slowly starting to take notice of us and the injury situation. This'll grow as we get more wins.

TheFrog

Coach
NRL 360 mentioned it the other night. The media is slowly starting to take notice of us and the injury situation. This'll grow as we get more wins.
Did you notice the turmoil of the pre-season got a mention as well? Turmoil that happened only in the imagination of journos.

mxlegend99

Referee
Looking at the Cowboys roster... how the f**k arent they in the top 4? Goddamn its a hell of a roster. No way they can keep playing that shit.

I dont rate any of the other sides we have faced. On their form at the time or the rosters they had when we played atleast. Cowboys on form are no better obviously as the ladder shows. But on paper that's a premiership quality side.

Im worried this is the week they fire up.

OldPanther

Coach
Looking at the Cowboys roster... how the f**k arent they in the top 4? Goddamn its a hell of a roster. No way they can keep playing that shit.

I dont rate any of the other sides we have faced. On their form at the time or the rosters they had when we played atleast. Cowboys on form are no better obviously as the ladder shows. But on paper that's a premiership quality side.

They look like they are waiting for someone to play them into form. A misread in defence for JT a little less agro in the middle for their pack and watch them get going.

Kilkenny

Coach
No easy games in this competition. Cowboys may be struggling, for reasons unknown, in recent weeks but that could all change this evening.

We are going to have to be on our game, particularly, given our make shift backline to win this one.

Hoping for a strong performance and two points.

kinghippo

Juniors

I fully expect them to turn things around, just like the storm have.
let’s just hope it’s next week.
The Morgan/ Thurston injures along with McLean as well as the coach resigning dramas has really done a number on them.
Throw in the wrestling / on the line penalties and they are second guessing themselves and low on confidence.
The rumours of switching Morgan play in our favour I think, it may be a bit of a panic move.
If we can come out strong they may push things and make mistakes.
A good win will cement our confidence so no pity for them.