What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Cowboys - Game Day Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Probably because we had all the ball. Our right side attack made plenty of metres but nothing was created on that side. I rate Will Smith as an attacking player but tonight it looked like Kelly without the kicking game.

Our right side is less potent anyway. With Norman and Gutherson mostly playing left, and Jennings having a blinder, do you really think it's because of Will Smith that we didn't create a lot on the right?

Or is that we went left in genuine attacking situations because it was stacked with our high quality attackers?

He does lead our missed tackle count for the year regardless (he has 36)....9 is high and maybe the head knock didn't help but he's missing rather a few even when he's not iffy in the head.
I suppose his size will always be a problem in that regard but some of the misses might be due to the fatigue from playing longer minutes, which could in theory improve.

Chipmunk

Coach
I will be interested to see how the team goes with French in it in any position if Radradra departs after this week.

Bazal

Post Whore
I suppose his size will always be a problem in that regard but some of the misses might be due to the fatigue from playing longer minutes, which could in theory improve.

I think his size counts against him being an 80 minute player and maintaining impact. It's just too much to ask him to tackle 120kg blokes for 80 mins every week IMO.

And I don't think his defence is that great to begin with either, probably mostly due to his size. He's got plenty of ticker but I think starting 80 minute hooker in the NRL is beyond him.

Chipmunk

Coach
Our right side is less potent anyway. With Norman and Gutherson mostly playing left, and Jennings having a blinder, do you really think it's because of Will Smith that we didn't create a lot on the right?

Or is that we went left in genuine attacking situations because it was stacked with our high quality attackers?

Jennings set up two tries from dummy half tonight, which was more about the disintegration of the Cowboys play the ball defence in the middle, rather than our left side attack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I know why our right side offers little. My point was it was no better tonight than when Kelly played there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think his size counts against him being an 80 minute player and maintaining impact. It's just too much to ask him to tackle 120kg blokes for 80 mins every week IMO.

And I don't think his defence is that great to begin with either, probably mostly due to his size. He's got plenty of ticker but I think starting 80 minute hooker in the NRL is beyond him.
He's an impact player. Always was.

Chipmunk

Coach
I will say, i think one think that has been over looked in good things for the last 3 weeks is our effective plan with our interchanges.

I like Beau Scott not starting, which is really the only part of the game where we don't need his defence. Kenny coming on after 20 mins has always worked, Vave comes on and reaks havoc late in the half when his opponents are tiring defensively and Alvaro comes on with 25 to go to work his ring off.

I think you're probably right which the reports of us chasing a hooker suggest. But we've proved we can win games with him in the team so it's not all doom and gloom.

Chipmunk

Coach
I know why our right side offers little. My point was it was no better tonight than when Kelly played there.

Yeah but that's as good as Kelly could offer even after spending entire off seasons in the role. Smith has been injured all off season, only started playing a few weeks ago and probably had 1 to 2 training runs in the position.

He did fine considering the circumstances.

Jennings set up two tries from dummy half tonight, which was more about the disintegration of the Cowboys play the ball defence in the middle, rather than our left side attack.
Yeah, that was good. And probably highlights what we've been missing from dh. I even had a mad thought at the time about converting Jenko to hooker.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah, that was good. And probably highlights what we've been missing from dh. I even had a mad thought at the time about converting Jenko to hooker.

I think he'll be fine in the centres, but maybe it's something he's been working on. He's smart enough to know when to get in there and when to stay out. Justin Hodges was probably the greatest player out of dummy half in the last decade. It obviously didn't effect him playig in the centres.