What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
[

Actually our best phase of the season was his first 2 games back from injury.

And we had won 4 from 5 with Nathan in the team up to that point of the season. The only loss being the game against Bulldogs where he got injured.

Our team peaked before Origin with both halves in the squad. Nathan was also arguably our best player in the first 2 rounds. The issue scross the board happened at the bye.

Our best 2 performances since then came with a roster consisting of more reserve graders then first graders.

2 games isn’t a phase, but yes the dragons game was our best of the season.

6 wins from 8 (total) without him shows he wasn’t vital at halfback.

Cleary never has shockers just can go MIA in attack. Still runs it and defends well even in the off games.

This is why I think he’s a Hooker.

Number 9 is about consistency, quick passes, defence & running the ball.

This is where Cleary excels.

For as much as it might look like I’m bagging Cleary, he’s still a very good player. He just isn’t that good of a first receiver.

OldPanther

Coach
This is why I think he’s a Hooker.

Number 9 is about consistency, quick passes, defence & running the ball.

This is where Cleary excels.

For as much as it might look like I’m bagging Cleary, he’s still a very good player. He just isn’t that good of a first receiver.

You might be right but I doubt any coach would think to try it in first grade.

Whino

Bench

Further more from Rothfield.

THE Panthers will deny it but we’re hearing five-eighth James Maloney is no certainty to see out his three-year contract at the Panthers. Of all the players at Penrith, the Blues’ pivot was closest to sacked coach Anthony Griffin.

In fact, Griffin told me that Maloney is “as brainy as Darren Lockyer” when I interviewed him last week. The Panthers need cash to be in a position to offer halfback Nathan Cleary the big bucks it will require to keep him long term.

There’s been talk for several weeks that Cleary’s relationship with Maloney is not as tight as other halves combinations in the NRL, and that Gus Gould is aware of it and is monitoring the situation.

https://outline.com/t8EXVF

franklin2323

Immortal

THE Panthers will deny it but we’re hearing five-eighth James Maloney is no certainty to see out his three-year contract at the Panthers. Of all the players at Penrith, the Blues’ pivot was closest to sacked coach Anthony Griffin.

In fact, Griffin told me that Maloney is “as brainy as Darren Lockyer” when I interviewed him last week. The Panthers need cash to be in a position to offer halfback Nathan Cleary the big bucks it will require to keep him long term.

There’s been talk for several weeks that Cleary’s relationship with Maloney is not as tight as other halves combinations in the NRL, and that Gus Gould is aware of it and is monitoring the situation.

This sort of stuff you normal take no notice of but who knows these days

It’d be pretty disappointing to lose Maloney. To me we’re no chance of winning a premiership next year without him.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
They aren’t the key stats for a halfback.

Key stats for a half are

Try assists
Line break assists
Kick meters
Forced drop outs

NRL don’t list line breaks but Taylor beats him everywhere else

Taylor

View attachment 22580

Cleary

View attachment 22581
On his day Taylor is definitely the better player but Cleary is miles more consistent so in the short term I'd rather have Cleary in the team. No doubt Taylor's got the ability but there's a good chance he'll end as another half who never achieves his potential.

On his day Taylor is definitely the better player but Cleary is miles more consistent so in the short term I'd rather have Cleary in the team. No doubt Taylor's got the ability but there's a good chance he'll end as another half who never achieves his potential.

That consistency issue could be down to his teammates. Hard to constantly excell when you’re surrounded by below par talent.

Ash Taylor in another team would be very interesting.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
That consistency issue could be down to his teammates. Hard to constantly excell when you’re surrounded by below par talent.

Ash Taylor in another team would be very interesting.
You can't blame your team mates when you kick it out on the full, fail to find touch off a penalty, throw a forward pass, don't put your body on the line in defense, etc. He'll either show up and have a blinder or do that kinda stuff all game.

You can't blame your team mates when you kick it out on the full, fail to find touch off a penalty, throw a forward pass, don't put your body on the line in defense, etc. He'll either show up and have a blinder or do that kinda stuff all game.

I’m not saying he isn’t responsible for some of it, but you can’t doubt he’d be a better player in another team.

Id argue it’s more likely Taylor achieves consistency than Cleary achieving some of the individual brilliance Taylor is capable of. Those things are hard to teach, typically you’ve either got it or you don’t.

After 57 games of top class footy I think we would’ve seen it by now in Cleary.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Daz, surely Gus and the coaches know Cleary's limitations? Any talk of moving him to hooker?

I think the people at the club are blinded by Cleary based on the amount of effort he puts in. He works harder than every player at training so they want to see him succeed.

Brandy, Freddy and Joey have all put in countless hours with him this year to improve his playmaking ability but unfortunately the kid doesn't have natural football instincts.

If you tell him a set play, he will practice it a thousand times but he doesn't know when to use it. He doesn't have the ability to react to the defensive line.

He threw two shocking passes to Whare and CHN on the weekend that lead to errors. His brain said he had to throw the passes because that's what the coaches told him to do but the moment was not right.

As I have said numerous times before, the first time I ever saw Cleary play it was at hooker and he went really well. His speed was very handy out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts