What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Right, I'm man enough to admit I was wrong about keeping Gagai on better money

He needs to go after what he dished up today. Souths are f**ked if they are going to play him at fullback

Spot On

Coach
Yes he had a bad day CC but its not his position. We've know for a while he isn't a fullback's crack. I mean he was horrible.

I would keep him on reasonable coin but really think he'd play his best footy on the wing outside a decent centre.

I still don't get the Souths move though if the reports about the money are correct. It's not like they've been going well. If they lose S Burgess long term they'd be in very deep shit if they arent already. I mean they are 2 wins above us spending the full cap and heaps of TPAs. Does anyone think they have a powerhouse roster?

Add to that a hooker and fullback at the end of their careers who are shadows of their best plus a halfback that gets hurt every second week. I mean Rochow is in their 17. Sutton is still on the books. Goodwin. For christ sake, Goodwin people.

Nope, I just don't get it. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
Yep it smells like a bad career move IMO. We could very well be overtaking Souths in the not too distant future and he's gonna regret not staying.

macavity

Referee
Guys look at who Gagai's manager is,

Then look at who else he manages.

Ask yourself whether said manager might have an axe or two to grind.

Spot On

Coach
I take no interest in player managers Mac other than wishing they were banned from the NRL. Fill in the blanks please.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Korbin Sims, Jared Mullen and a lot of Souths players. But this smells more of an offer too good to refuse rather than an axe to grind....

Spot On

Coach
Hmmm, I'm not so sure Pedge.

For mine it raises a questIon or two about all this. Only because of the constant rhetoric from Dane over a period of time about how happy he is living in Newy and with the club. He's been told how important he is, how wanted etc. This isnt a Sims brothers situation. He's been made a huge offer from us and from what I can work out the Souths offer isn't much more.

After watching him yesterday I have to question if he feels like HE has made the right decision for himself.

If he was going to Mlb or Brisbane or even Cronulla - a perennially strong club with a current ripper roster you wouldn't even question that the move would benefit his career and increase the chances of winning something ten fold atm. But Souths?????

Why didnt Mlb and Cronulla or another strong club come in with serious 700K offers??? I know there was reported interest from those clubs but what happened???

Last edited:

Rod

Bench
Not sure if signing Cody Walker would be that consistent in messaging to players. We drop Ross for going to the media and Walkers media comments where 10 times worse.

I don't see this as a reason not to sign someone. Not our problem unless he does it when he's with us.

Yosh

Coach
Man player managers/agents can be bothersome... In soccer the biggest deal ever was like 100m for Paul Pogba last year but it looks like just the agent himself took 40m of the deal... How much are the managers making for NRL players?

Byron Knight

Juniors
http://bit.ly/2q0OlH4

Dane Gagai has told Club officials he will depart the nib Newcastle Knights at season’s end.

Gagai joined the Knights in 2012, and has played 116 of his 122 NRL matches for Newcastle.

“We are obviously disappointed that Dane has decided to leave the Club, but we respect the decision he has made with his family,” CEO Matt Gidley said.

“Dane has been a wonderful player and ambassador for our Club over the six years he has been with us.

“He will leave at season’s end with our best wishes for the future.”

Gagai informed his teammates before joining the Queensland Maroons side in camp on Monday.

“We know Dane will give 100 per cent for the team before he departs us at the end of the year,” Gidley concluded.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Release him early or drop him, he's not part of our future plans so no point playing him in our team. Dropping him from our team will have a similar impact as when we dropped hokko.

Yosh

Coach
I don't think it'll make a big difference if we release him or keep him. Unless we get a good trade out of it. I'd fully push Gagai to the Souths, pay half his wages for the remainder of the year to get Walker. I'd even pay 100% of Gags wages this year.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Release him early or drop him, he's not part of our future plans so no point playing him in our team. Dropping him from our team will have a similar impact as when we dropped hokko.

I actually don't think that is in our best interests at this point with our depth (or lack of, I should say)...I'd keep him in the squad, probably in the centres in place of Wardle (he is not our long term answer as a centre) and put Elliott back to fullback. (I agree with you though Yosh if we can get a trade for him mid season before 30th June)

I honestly believe Gagai will give us his best for the rest of the season (in that role)and I don't think we have any stellar options in the reggies at this stage that would fill the void. Although I'll admit he received poor service and was heavily marked, after watching Ross in reserve grade in the Centres, I think it is questionable whether he is better closer in or his best fit for us remains on the wing.

Just as an aside, Pauli also looks like he needs more game time under his belt in Reserve grade because he was pretty lacklustre from what I was of him yesterday when we got flogged by 30 in the Reserves

mozza91

Coach
Thanks for the 10 or 12 decent games over the last 6 seasons Dane. Now bugger off immediately and send Walker to take your spot.

Glendale

Juniors
So there goes the last of Wayne's signings. Quite an incredible turnover in three years. Sione, Chanel and Tyler Randell (1 game) are the only players remaining who played a game under Bennett. (I guess you can also include Pete who played only 1 game, left, and then came back)

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
So there goes the last of Wayne's signings. Quite an incredible turnover in three years. Sione, Chanel and Tyler Randell (1 game) are the only players remaining who played a game under Bennett. (I guess you can also include Pete who played only 1 game, left, and then came back)

Yeah, gagai is really the last of eras gone bye. It feels refreshing I guess. Probably a good way to change our culture too.