What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
meh, im not worried about losing Gags. He always struck me as a good winger given more responsibility than he could handle...

I feel like he'll regret the Souths move, but again meh.

I like that Brown has taken him out of the centre spot, much better to blood rookies than waste the chance. I dont like him at FB though, id much rather have him on the wing and out of the defencive line...

Noname36

First Grade
I agree Souths is a weird move for Gagai.

As much as I do think he loves this club I always expected him to leave sooner or later to be able to win something. But Souths?????? Really strange. It wouldn't surprise me if we've overtaken them by next year.

mozza91

Coach
I agree Souths is a weird move for Gagai.

As much as I do think he loves this club I always expected him to leave sooner or later to be able to win something. But Souths?????? Really strange. It wouldn't surprise me if we've overtaken them by next year.
It's like leaving the Hindenburg to catch the Titanic. Either way you're headed for disaster.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I actually don't think that is in our best interests at this point with our depth (or lack of, I should say)...I'd keep him in the squad, probably in the centres in place of Wardle (he is not our long term answer as a centre) and put Elliott back to fullback. (I agree with you though Yosh if we can get a trade for him mid season before 30th June)

I honestly believe Gagai will give us his best for the rest of the season (in that role)and I don't think we have any stellar options in the reggies at this stage that would fill the void. Although I'll admit he received poor service and was heavily marked, after watching Ross in reserve grade in the Centres, I think it is questionable whether he is better closer in or his best fit for us remains on the wing.

Just as an aside, Pauli also looks like he needs more game time under his belt in Reserve grade because he was pretty lacklustre from what I was of him yesterday when we got flogged by 30 in the Reserves
This is exactly how I see it

Dane needs to be back at centre or on the wing. I want to see Eliott moved back to fullback as he is our best 2017 option there and the more experience he gets there, the better he will be as Ponga back up in 2018. We have noone knocking down the door to play centre or wing, our nswcup team is poo and I'd like to keep our great u20s side together, and I also like Wardle in the back row as he runs great lines and offers a bit more there

I havent seen a huge amount of reserve grade but would Nick Meaney be next in line to get a crack as far as outside backs/Full backs go?

Seems to be quick and not easy to tackle but is also pretty small.

Sacrolishes

Juniors
I havent seen a huge amount of reserve grade but would Nick Meaney be next in line to get a crack as far as outside backs/Full backs go?

Seems to be quick and not easy to tackle but is also pretty small.

He's definitely a solid player... but I don't think he'll do much in 1st grade. And prob get belted with small frame. Elliot def my preferred guy there too. Put Gags back into centers.

Burwood

Bench
SHHHHH I

Which non Sydney based club is rallying hard to get James Maloney out of Cronulla ahead of next season?

This club is in need of a playmaker and Maloney’s deal with the Sharks is well below where a player of his calibre should be.

If Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford and Daly Cherry-Evans are $1 million a season players, then what’s the NSW No.6 worth?

We’ve been told this particular club is willing to offer him almost double his current wage to leave the Shire a year before his deal expires but we’d be shocked if the Sharks would agree to release him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...t/news-story/fcef8f5addd1ba4f4ca774617369c913

Surely that has to be us?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I doubt he would go back to the Warriors. Storm maybe, but not sure if they would want to fork out big bucks considering Cooper Cronk supposedly wasn't on that much. Also they're re-signing Chambers on big money supposedly as well so not sure if they'd have enough left over to poach Maloney on big money too.

That being said the good teams always seem to come up with the dollars when they're needed so who knows. The salary cap doesn't really mean that much anymore.

Burwood

Bench
Sounds like one of two scenarios happening with Maloney: clubs are approaching a contracted player before they should be, or his manager is feeding out bogus stories to the media in an attempt to force Cronulla to top up his contract when they have no obligation to.

I'd be pissed off if I was a sharks fan. I can't see them coming out of this situation well. They'll either be forced to upgrade his contract substantially, or there'll be endless sensationalised stories in the media about how Maloney is unhappy at the club and wants out of his contract a year early.

Basically it is Maloney's manager who has stuffed up by not having a contract that runs out at the end of this year- it's been known for a very long time that the salary cap was going up in 2018 thanks to the new TV rights deal.

slotmachine

First Grade
It will work out one of two ways, the sharks extend him and upgrade for 2018, or he signs a big money deal somewhere else from 2019 and plays out 2018 with the sharks.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'll throw a couple of names into the mix.

I wonder if Brown and Mooney have considered Nikorima at the Broncos. He's not the experienced half we're looking for but he's been playing really well up there since Hunt was injured and the Broncos have won 6 in a row. He would be a good stop-gap option until we get a big name half or if we can't then he could develop into a good first grade half over time. Besides the rumours are that Ash Taylor will go back to Brisbane so Nikorima may feel like he's got a better chance of a regular first grade role with us.

Also it's interesting that Nathan Peats hasn't signed with anyone yet. He's apparently after $600k and the Titans have offered $500k. I'm a bit 50/50 on this but what do other people think?

Pros:
- experienced hooker who can help Levi develop his game
- $500k-$600k doesn't seem like that much for a good hooker seeing as there aren't many around
- strong defender

Cons:
- injury prone
- just got named for NSW so may bump up his asking price
- would have to share game time with Levi so we wouldn't see either of them play big minutes

What are people's thoughts on this?

slotmachine

First Grade
Think I read we approached NAS's manager and were told not interested. It's Storm or union/All Blacks.

I must sound like a broken record but how can Maloney be a priority when he is contracted.

mozza91

Coach
Meh at Maloney regardless of his contract situation. He's abit overrated imo. He's over 30, gives away a shitload of penalties and is a terrible defender. Townsend outplays him most weeks as well.