What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Come on Glendale what illicit substance are you on, Gidley was way below NRL standard when he left here & getting worse by the week. Two years down the track he certainly wouldn't be any better, playing in that comp gives a false sense of ability, think of Sandow, Soward, Walsh & recently Mamo. All apparent world beaters in England, not worth a sausage here under a bit of pressure. Gidley was never a halfback, never had the skill set
,still don't know what he was except for a good fill in. Maybe we could swap his brother for the Warrington CEO surely we would be getting the better of that deal, making the Knights a Gidley free zone!

The sarcasm detector is weak in this one..

While we are at it, let's get Hagan back as captain coach. You know it makes sense.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I saw a media report which said Cronk had already told us he wont be coming to the Knights. Same article said Cronulla were watching the Maloney situation and would make him a huge offer of that goes sour.

If Maloney leaves the Sharks the tip is Souths as his 1st preference who he almost signed for before agreeing to terms with the Sharks.

That leaves us to fight over Reynolds or maybe Walker oe left riight.

With that choice I think Watson or roll the dice with what we have.........

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Sounds like we'll be getting SKD, maybe even if he gets convicted. Also sounds like SKD resigned so he could sign with us before June 30.

From Toohey

CONTROVERSIAL former Sydney Roosters centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall could be thrown a career lifeline before June 30 by the Newcastle Knights even if he is convicted of a drug offence in a Sydney court next week.

The former Kiwi international will face Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday after being caught with just under half a gram of cocaine in his possession at Sydney’s Ivy Bar nightclub on May 5.

He was stood down by the Roosters and has not played since with the club announcing his release earlier this week.

It is understood Kenny-Dowall may have requested the release with the hope of starting afresh with the Knights pending the outcome of his case.

As it is a first offence, there is speculation Kenny-Dowall could escape with a section 10 and avoid a conviction if found guilty.

That would open the door for his immediate signing by the Knights but there is a suggestion he has convinced some within the club he is worthy of a second chance irrespective of the outcome of the court case and despite the club initially taking a lucrative three year deal off the table after he was charged.

Knights CEO Matt Gidley says no decision will be made on Kenny-Dowall’s future until after his court appearance and the player may have to state his case personally before members of the Knights board and directors from Wests Group, who is negotiating with the NRL to take over joint-ownership of the club.

Kenny-Dowall 29, played 224 NRL games with the Roosters over 11 seasons, winning a premiership and scoring 121 tries and has played 20 Tests for the Kiwis with his experience alone considered a major plus by the Knights.

If Kenny-Dowall is signed, he will join Roosters teammate Aidan Guerra at the club with the Knights officially announcing his signing on a three year deal on Thursday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...0/news-story/a311999c285025e6ab45e7ec16fe196c

Half a gram and Local Court is a Summary Offence. If he pleads guilty and for a Section 10 and has no previous infringements he'll likely get it.

NathanBrown

Juniors
A section ten is a piece of piss to get.. But do we really need another outside back? We got an abundance.. We deadset need a line breaking front rower with offload ability

Bartwah

Juniors
A section ten is a piece of piss to get.. But do we really need another outside back? We got an abundance.. We deadset need a line breaking front rower with offload ability
With Gagai leaving, I'd say yes, we definitely need another outside back. Even better that this one can defend

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Good to see us nab Guerra (fun fact: i just found out "Aiden Guerra" translates to "bringer of fiery war", so hes my new favourite human)....

Im not expecting anything miraculous, but he has GF, Origin and Test experience so he should be walking straight into a leadership role.

And, if nothing else, It might start the ball rolling on some other signings; that Bird article is f*cking frustrating (though, if thats his attitude, it made me kind of glad Bird didnt end up coming here)...

Last edited:

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
We may have a fair few backs but there is no harm in us upgrading any position on the field of the opportunity comes. SKD is an upgrade on what we have and a cheap upgrade as well. No brainer.

PhilGould

Bench
Our initial offer of just over $300k per year for SKD was good. If we can get him even cheaper now it's a no brainer.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Our initial offer of just over $300k per year for SKD was good. If we can get him even cheaper now it's a no brainer.

I'm on board with this, $300k for him would be good value. He would probably deliver the same impact as Gags but for half the price so why not.

I'd like to see us develop the backs we have but Brown has been keen on a "tall outside back" for ages. SKD fits that and adds experience.

Which ones are those?
Elliott has shown he can handle first grade well, Ponga slips in, Ross possibly at Centre, Meaney shows potential, Sio is consistent and a professional, Pythian needs a spot somewhere, Chanel out of favour but may get some form, Dennis showed potential on the left wing and had a combination with Ross...

PhilGould

Bench
Lurker reckons Tautau Moga has been in town for Brown's signature tour of Newcastle. This is the Lurker though so it's probably wrong.

slotmachine

First Grade
Elliott has shown he can handle first grade well, Ponga slips in, Ross possibly at Centre, Meaney shows potential, Sio is consistent and a professional, Pythian needs a spot somewhere, Chanel out of favour but may get some form, Dennis showed potential on the left wing and had a combination with Ross...

Chanel not out of favour, he's basically been injured for two and a half years. You lost me at Dennis.

Bartwah

Juniors
Lurker also saying that wardle is off at the end of the year and Aaron Gray is deciding on either us or the Sharks for next year tomorrow

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. SKD
4. Moga
5. Gray

Where does that leave pete Mat and sio?

Moga is been in great form for the broncos and would be hard to leave out of the side. The last position would be between pete and gray so we could run with

1. Ponga
2. SKD
3. Pete
4. Moga
5. Ross

Both are nice looking back lines though

Latest posts