What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

RedVee_8

Juniors
Without getting too off topic...

2016 was actually very pivotal year for us in terms of where the club was going to head in the proceeding 10 years.

We had Jason Demetriou taking our NSW Cup Team to a dominant premiership win, while Mary was struggling and refusing to wield the axe on under-performing players. To top it off - our status as the 'big brother' force in the Southern Sydney / South Coast region was being lost to the Sharks (yes - the effing Sharks of all clubs).

The above alone, not even mentioning the actual piss poor on field results of the first grade team, should have been enough to have had Mary moved on and Demetriou promoted immediately (would he have been successful who knows but it certainly could not have been any worse).

But we kept Mary with the end of 2016 review stating "we feel McGregor has a very positive future as an NRL Head Coach". Demetriou went to continue his apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett.

Fast forward to now - and nothing has really changed all that much... the coach is still indecisive, and while the NSW Cup Team may not be getting the same results, there are players in there who should be getting promoted with players like Mbye and Lomax being sent back. We have Demetriou making sure he is present at his teams NSW Cup games as well (despite being in Brisbane <12 hours earlier).

Really - I'm here letting off steam ahead of the game this afternoon, where I am just not confident at all. Top it off, we will also come up against a galvanised Tigers team next week (in Magic Round where we have a piss poor record and where I believe they have a good record).

The wooden spoon this year is a very real possibility now...
Unfortunately I don’t find anything much to disagree with.

matPORTS

Juniors
Last Tuesday at about 3:55pm - the Roosters weren't any better than us in terms of the form guide (just F/A was better).

Fast forward - they go over to NZ and back up their ANZAC Day win in terrible conditions. They also have a coach who has guts, and wasn't afraid to drop underperforming players out of his spine and wield the necessary changes to find form.

Here we go everyone! Let's see what tactics our coach has in his playbook today...

steerlerbab

Juniors
Does not matter if you lose by 2 or by 20! A loss is a loss and we are heading to wooden spoon with tigers improving. I put this comment in another thread this morning:

Start Quote:

I have worked as a contractor for years and been around contractors for years. The moment management tells a contractor that he won't be renewed, he starts hitting seek.com.au, job hunter sites, browsing for jobs, prepares for interviews, attends interviews, etc. The only thing expected from contractor is to hand over his job in his remaining days. Sometimes he maybe asked to leave immediately. I cannot imagine that a Rugby league contract position will be different.

So Hook is probably chatting agents, looking for new role in some other club or looking to work in media. Do not expect him to try to develop Sullivan or other players. Look at the team selection. It is same team. Mbye at 9 for over 60 minutes week in week out. By what I have seen, Hook just replaces an injured player and the name of opposition team and hits the print button and his job is done for the week.

By the way, Hunt apparently knocked back an approach from Gould. Hunt is a Hook man. He is seen the writting on the wall. So I expect to hear a lot more.

Anyways, it is time for the board to appoint caretaker (Woolf or Carr or even Jamie). Decide on a coach and recruitment manager and coaching staff and start planning for next year.

thebigredv

First Grade

Wonder how Ben is feeling about his outspoken attempts to stick with Griffin now? This from a few weeks ago doesn't read well after an effort like today.

‘Set the club back a couple of years’: Hunt warns Dragons about sacking Griffin​

Christian Nicolussi

ByChristian Nicolussi

April 8, 2023 — 7.00pm
Save

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=535060819
St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt believes the worst thing his club could do is sack coach Anthony Griffin and start again.
“If we get four or five weeks down the road and we start again [with a new coach], it will set this club back a couple of years,” Hunt tells The Sun-Herald.

“That’s what I believe. We need to ride this out.”
The captain and chief playmaker also dreads to think what it would mean for his own future at the joint venture if Griffin is axed.

It is well documented Hunt and Griffin are close: they are Rockhampton boys who first met when Hunt was 17.
“I might hang them [boots] up and disappear into the bush somewhere, and you’ll never see me again,” Hunt says with a laugh.

thebigredv

First Grade

Kind of contradicted himself here don't ya think?

‘We start poorly he’s gone’: Hunt’s big Griffin warning as Dragons star opens up on coach ‘clause’​

October 9th, 2022 9:59 am

Dragons star Ben Hunt is under no illusions coach Anthony Griffin is on the chopping block and issued a huge warning to his teammates.
The 32-year-old signed a two-year contract extension on Wednesday and was reportedly seeking a get-out clause linked to Griffin should he be sacked.
St George Illawarra finished a disappointing 2022 campaign in 10th and Hunt made a huge admission — if the Dragons don’t start next season strong, Griffin will be axed.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20230901/match-report
“If we start the year strongly they’ll look at extending him,” Hunt said to The Daily Telegraph.
“If we start poorly he is probably gone. That’s just back onto us players and staff to start the year well.
“Everyone is aware of it. It is no secret. We need to get it done.”

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If the time wasn't a few weeks ago, well it's well and truly time now.

I don't give a flying %$&^ it's Magic round, we are playing for the wooden spoon and to stop the rumors and segregated factions within the team, it's time to part ways with Hook now. Let Carr or Wolfe take the reigns as caretaker in readiness for a new coaching appointment.

As a Club we cannot afford to be in the state we are in both on and off the field and the angst of the supporter base will only get louder until something is done.

Our next 6 games are:
TIGERS (away)
COWBOYS (away)
ROOSTERS (home)
DOLPHINS (away)
PANTHERS (away)
RABBITS (home)

How many do we look like winning out of that draw?

Save the embarrasment a caretaker will gave less heat on him in readiness for our, hopefully, experienced and driven HC.

Rant over.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
If the time wasn't a few weeks ago, well it's well and truly time now.

I don't give a flying %$&^ it's Magic round, we are playing for the wooden spoon and to stop the rumors and segregated factions within the team, it's time to part ways with Hook now. Let Carr or Wolfe take the reigns as caretaker in readiness for a new coaching appointment.

As a Club we cannot afford to be in the state we are in both on and off the field and the angst of the supporter base will only get louder until something is done.

Our next 6 games are:
TIGERS (away)
COWBOYS (away)
ROOSTERS (home)
DOLPHINS (away)
PANTHERS (away)
RABBITS (home)

How many do we look like winning out of that draw?

Save the embarrasment a caretaker will gave less heat on him in readiness for our, hopefully, experienced and driven HC.

Rant over.
we wont win any of these games , its all over

Paddles

Juniors

Wonder how Ben is feeling about his outspoken attempts to stick with Griffin now? This from a few weeks ago doesn't read well after an effort like today.

‘Set the club back a couple of years’: Hunt warns Dragons about sacking Griffin​

Christian Nicolussi

ByChristian Nicolussi

April 8, 2023 — 7.00pm
Save

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=535060819
St George Illawarra skipper Ben Hunt believes the worst thing his club could do is sack coach Anthony Griffin and start again.
“If we get four or five weeks down the road and we start again [with a new coach], it will set this club back a couple of years,” Hunt tells The Sun-Herald.

“That’s what I believe. We need to ride this out.”
The captain and chief playmaker also dreads to think what it would mean for his own future at the joint venture if Griffin is axed.

It is well documented Hunt and Griffin are close: they are Rockhampton boys who first met when Hunt was 17.
“I might hang them [boots] up and disappear into the bush somewhere, and you’ll never see me again,” Hunt says with a laugh.
I don't think he cares. He didn't care when the club was in danger of losing the kids it has made the face of its membership drive the last 3 years. He's proven to be an entirely selfish player. I'm sure he'll kick stones if/when a new coach restructures the team, plays him at 9 and brings Sullivan on, but I doubt he'll go anywhere with the wages he's pulling here compared to what he'd make elsewhere.

matPORTS

Juniors
Hunts performance today, and then arrogance to not answer the question around Hooks future in the press conference, was proof that he can no longer help his mate single handily. The vast majority of the playing group have checked out on both of them.

A caretaker coach is needed now, before these short losses become really unsustainable and our season really gets away.

I've always been an advocate of choosing the top three things to work on in any given day and focusing on doing these things really well. The following three issues need to be addressed urgently:

Sullivan back into the squad in the halves (never should have been dropped)

Re-focusing Lomax (I'm sure he could be nailing more goals quite easily and could have also run the distance of the field today - but clearly he wants the coach gone just as much as the rest of us)

Dropping Mbye (omg how much longer do we need to be calling this one)

Once the above is done - focus on getting the best 17 looking something like this:

1. Sloan
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa (or Max Feagai)

6. Amone (when Liddle comes on he goes off with Hunt back into the halves)
7. Sullivan

8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Su'a
13. de Belin

14. Liddle
15. BMM
16. Couchman
17. Kerr

Jersey No 14

Juniors
I am first a St George patriot.
For starts - The whole team selection process is wrong.
Hook has played the cards of ex bronco/ Qld players. Non have come through.
Except Hunt. I’m questioning him because he’s Captain.
I’m unhappy that this peer pleasure selecting players with limited first grade skill.
Duffy could run. That was it.
Sloan can run. He can not read the play.
Lomax was surprisingly slow. Sprint coach.

And it goes on and on. And on.
Someone draw a line in the sand. Please.
Bottom line I’m just one.

No more money for you

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Hunts performance today, and then arrogance to not answer the question around Hooks future in the press conference, was proof that he can no longer help his mate single handily. The vast majority of the playing group have checked out on both of them.

A caretaker coach is needed now, before these short losses become really unsustainable and our season really gets away.

I've always been an advocate of choosing the top three things to work on in any given day and focusing on doing these things really well. The following three issues need to be addressed urgently:

Sullivan back into the squad in the halves (never should have been dropped)

Re-focusing Lomax (I'm sure he could be nailing more goals quite easily and could have also run the distance of the field today - but clearly he wants the coach gone just as much as the rest of us)

Dropping Mbye (omg how much longer do we need to be calling this one)

Once the above is done - focus on getting the best 17 looking something like this:

1. Sloan
2. Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa (or Max Feagai)

6. Amone (when Liddle comes on he goes off with Hunt back into the halves)
7. Sullivan

8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Su'a
13. de Belin

14. Liddle
15. BMM
16. Couchman
17. Kerr
Agree with that line up and I would definitely be switching the centres back as well and giving them time to resettle.

The caretaker coach needs to come with something relevant behind him if he’s going to make a difference. Apparently we are not yet positioned to appoint a long term coach so I would be putting Soward in if he can be made available. He is a club premiership winner, a smart strategist and knows everything about the all important kicking game - both general play and goal kicking. The players will know him and have respect for him and granted it’s a completely different league, but didn’t he take the womens team to a gf?

Mjab

Juniors
Des is the solution
players love him and play for him
will attract players
runs the joint like Bennett did because everyone else is incompetent

might mess up the the cap but who cares if he gives us a few good years , we have had 12 y shit in a row , fans are desperate for a few good years

I think he can bring players thru and will play good footy

NOT 5 settlers and a crap kick

offiah

Juniors
Jesus. How is it still going on? Should have been done in the off season, but I imagine Hunt resigning was dependent on Griffin sticking around a bit longer to “prove” he can coach. That time is long gone now, let’s just bite the bullet and put one of the assistants in for the rest of the year. It honestly can’t be any worse and most likely will see improvements start immediately.

TheRev

First Grade
Ben/Hook will blame the board/media for destabilising their 2023 season.. hence the losses.. promise you that.. even if they dont blame it publically. They believe in their vision.. the lack of change over 3yrs shows how powerful that vision is... and its on our club to let it go on this long...let the hole get deeper.

And also I don't know how we can expect Hunt to be self-reflective enough to stop backing himself.. and realise that he is a 6 or a 9.. and not a 7, thats not his job.. its hooks.. and that's been the problem with having Hook+Hunt basically joined at the hip.. there is no one left to pull the puppet strings.. the head puppet is in charge of the show.

Latest posts