What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should The Dragons Sign Madge As Coach?

gregstar

Referee
Geeze... give the guy some credit.

Seems when we go shithouse its Marys fault....and when we go well its because of the players.

Cant have it both ways.
i have praised neither.

because.....it's round f*cking 12!

i'm not one for squirting sauce on someone who has done NOTHING coaching wise yet.

as far as i am concerned 2016 is his template until 2017 is completed.

and 2016 was the single worst in my 42 years of supporting this club.

you can join the conga-line of jowl repentance orgies if you please, but i'm no where near considering him worthy of resigning until 2017 is done. he has a massive turn-around to make.

gregstar

Referee
Geez, calm down. Who said Mary was a supercoach or that we had to re-sign him tomorrow? He's just begrudgingly preferred to Maguire who by no means is a supercoach either. Better the devil you know and all that.

i'm responding to the posts across threads that are starting to sing the virtue of jowls after round 12.

examples;

"I reckon he deserves it"

"....give the bloke some credit, he has turned this team into a top 4 team. the players respect him immensely. he now has the team he wants and will be even better next year. he deserves it for sure."

"..what a a difference 12 months can make. humble pie anyone?"

"Dragons will rightly re-sign McGregor. None of us beleived it would happen but then how could you forsee the incredible turn around of form. Mary has the players firing on all cylinders."

and so on....

no where have i suggested macguire is a worthy replacement either.

DJ21

Juniors
What is the reason behind the turn around this year? Get the answer to that question and then it becomes clearer as to whether Mary is the right guy or not? I think Madge is suited to a club that needs a bit of discipline and that worked with Souffs when he got there.

I still can't get over Demetriou going, he turns average team into good ones, improves players and produces an attractive brand of footy. He is on the pathway to a really good coaching career, with the backroom stuff seemingly improving bring him back and get things going.

What is the reason behind the turn around this year? Get the answer to that question and then it becomes clearer as to whether Mary is the right guy or not? I think Madge is suited to a club that needs a bit of discipline and that worked with Souffs when he got there.

I still can't get over Demetriou going, he turns average team into good ones, improves players and produces an attractive brand of footy. He is on the pathway to a really good coaching career, with the backroom stuff seemingly improving bring him back and get things going.
Now you're talking!
All this ballyhoo about Madge doesn't make sense.
We do not need him and we would be jamming into reverse if we went down that path.
Demetriou on the other hand is a future elite coach in my view and we could do a lot worse than get him back here on a proper contract.
The real point about the turnaround is not what Mary is doing to make it happen but, would another coach have managed the same or better results?
I reckon the squad is very strong this year especially with Vaughn and McInnes coming in and JDB maturing into an elite back rower. That is the main reason for the turnaround.
We still get outsmarted in the coach's box by the top coaches and some of our team selections and bench management leave a lot to be desired.
I for one am not ready to forgive 2016 and especially some of the ridiculous post match interviews where it was never Mary's fault and especially the term "Dragons Footy".
I still don't know what that means exactly!

saintsarealive1

Juniors

Our players seem sooo happy and having fun....did you not see it last week even when we were 6 points down. ... they looked a very happy bunch together.

I think mary may just be the chosen one.

Morale is sky high, the team are high fivng, clapping and supporting each other.

I have nevet seen a happier and more united team.

Thats 75% of the coaches key role.

Its time.

Mary for 3 more years....but happy to wait till round 18 or so.

Constantly criticising our club coach has to stop people!

He is performing... dohhh!

saintsarealive1

Juniors

He has won nothing except nsw cup.

Whacky dooo do

Winning a second tier title and suddenly he is god

Yeah right

That went well with Price. ...

MilanDragon

Juniors

Whacky dooo do

Yeah right

He won QLD cup, NSW cup, the super cup (or whatever it's called), he was attacking coach st the cowboys when they won the premiership.

I'm not saying JD is the answer but give him credit where it's due and it's a pretty damn handy CV to have before coaching FG

saintsarealive1

Juniors
He won QLD cup, NSW cup, the super cup (or whatever it's called), he was attacking coach st the cowboys when they won the premiership.

I'm not saying JD is the answer but give him credit where it's due and it's a pretty damn handy CV to have before coaching FG
Of course i agree he has potential......but he isnt our coach!

Mary is... and we are doing well

Doomsdayers need to go doom on someone elses party

We are on the rise....positive support breeds success....so people, go doomsday some rival club....not ours

Whacky dooo do

Yeah right

Demetriou actually won 2 second tier titles with 2 different teams (Northern Pride and the Cutters) in 2 different states back to back.
Even you would have to admit that is not a mean feat.
So comparatively speaking, what exactly has McGregor won?
"Whacky dooo do" nothing.
It is no coincidence that Bennett hired Demetriou as soon as we shafted him.
It is also no coincidence that Mary was dumped by Bennett as soon as he arrived at St. George.
I know whose opinion I would value most when choosing the next St. George coach.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Demetriou actually won 2 second tier titles with 2 different teams (Northern Pride and the Cutters) in 2 different states back to back.
It is also no coincidence that Mary was dumped by Bennett as soon as he arrived at St. George.
I know whose opinion I would value most when choosing the next St. George coach.

Ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!

Bennett told the club to sign Price!!

Yeahhh!!

The defence rests your honour.

Stop criticising our club coach... he is performing man!

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I was our CEO, I would get Brownie back. I think Brownie has a good football brain. He is good at spotting and developing young talent. He think he can coach good attacking football. I think he is now a more mature coach, who would not be coaching players that he previously played with. He also has St George in his heart. I remember when we first merged, we had won a game and Brownie said something to Barrett about wait until we get back to Saints Leagues club, regarding how passionate our fans were.

Sorry pal but being a realist doesn't mean that I am criticizing the club coach.
I agree Price was a disaster and guess what, we tragically did exactly the same thing again when Mary was appointed.
No qualifications, no CV to speak of - still went ahead and threw him the keys to the Ferrari.
I am glad you find the whole coaching disaster since Bennett left so hilarious because I don't.
It's the difference between being all positive about half a dozen wins mid season and winning premierships.
All I am interested is what is best for the club.
I'll throw bouquets when its warranted. For now it's too early.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
Sorry pal but being a realist doesn't mean that I am criticizing the club coach.
I agree Price was a disaster and guess what, we tragically did exactly the same thing again when Mary was appointed.
No qualifications, no CV to speak of - still went ahead and threw him the keys to the Ferrari.
I am glad you find the whole coaching disaster since Bennett left so hilarious because I don't.
It's the difference between being all positive about half a dozen wins mid season and winning premierships.
All I am interested is what is best for the club.
I'll throw bouquets when its warranted. For now it's too early.
I understand your view, i have been shell shocked past few years with our boring losing football

But i have to say, i have never seen our players so happy, so excited and playing generally pretty good and attractive footy since 2010 and the first half of 2011.

The time is not now to show dissent.

We are playing well enough to show unity and a positive attitude to mary

jak

Bench
and when bennett his parting words were price is the way to go.

mobels

Juniors
Supercoach Madge hasn't been able to find any other tactics for his squads besides his 2014 power game strategy.

They've gone absolutely shit since. He can't adapt his gameplans to suit the players he has.