What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should there be 2 teams in Brisbane?

I just don't get the obsession people have with trying to get Redcliffe into the NRL one way or another. Whether it be now or 25 years down the track. Just because they used to make a lot of Qld Cup grand finals, mostly in the late 90s and early last decade, doesn't really make them a good choice to host an NRL side. In 20 years they might not even be in the Qld Cup. There might not even be a Qld Cup. For now they should stick to a link with the Broncos. People need to look beyond the success of Qld Cup clubs when considering potential bases for NRL teams. The NRL is sooooo much bigger than any Qld Cup club.

Karl

Juniors
Brisbane II makes perfect sense. Play at Suncorp, based on the southside, link with the Q Cup clubs south of the river but remain an all-Brisbane side. That makes the most sense of any plan. Ipswich doesn't work because it's not Brisbane and the "western corridor" is just a made-up thing. It's like GWS. Ipswich people can/do support a Brisbane side, but Brisbane people won't support an Ipswich side and Ipswich is nowhere near big enough to support a strong NRL club.

This again

THE CHAMP

First Grade
as a broncos supporter im happy to have another team in the Brisbane area. But not one called the bombers for christs sake, what are they thinking? Redcliffe or Ipswich and theres a split hair between them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This guy is correct
Haha so i haven’t changed my tune at all lol. Always said we needed Two clubs playing ft out of Suncorp!
If wed have got firehawks then yeh either Sunshine Coast or Ipswich would have made sense a decade or two later. Nothings changer except they made the wrong decision for brisbane2.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cowboys, Dolphins, Broncos, Jets & Titans in QLD
Auckland & Christchurch in NZ
All current NSW sides + Central Coast Bears
Canberra
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth

22 teams, 21 rounds, 4 weeks of finals, 3 origins and a 6 week international window every year for tournaments and tours.

PNG Hunters, Kaiviti Silktails & Pacifique XIII in the second tier providing pathways for the pacific nations to help with talent and to strengthen the international game.

Job done!

Billythekid

First Grade
I just don't know how you justify a new SEQLD team anytime soon. The titans are still trying to gain a decent foothold and now we have a new club trying to build it's own footprint (and playing most of its games in Brisbane). Maybe one day in the far future we could consider but that's so far away it seems crazy to even be discussing it now.

Canard

Immortal
I just don't know how you justify a new SEQLD team anytime soon. The titans are still trying to gain a decent foothold and now we have a new club trying to build it's own footprint (and playing most of its games in Brisbane). Maybe one day in the far future we could consider but that's so far away it seems crazy to even be discussing it now.

giphy.gif

Colk

First Grade
Cowboys, Dolphins, Broncos, Jets & Titans in QLD
Auckland & Christchurch in NZ
All current NSW sides + Central Coast Bears
Canberra
Melbourne
Adelaide
Perth

22 teams, 21 rounds, 4 weeks of finals, 3 origins and a 6 week international window every year for tournaments and tours.

PNG Hunters, Kaiviti Silktails & Pacifique XIII in the second tier providing pathways for the pacific nations to help with talent and to strengthen the international game.

Job done!

Good idea for the future. Maybe a goal for the next 20-30 years

The simple answer is economic security.

Easts Tigers are richer than most Sydney NRL clubs and have a geographic footprint that extends from Bulimba down to Yarrabilba in southeast Logan. Their centralised location -- just 4km southeast of the CBD -- allows them to cover the entire southside and big end of town. Their attendances would rival the Broncos and they would be an economic giant compared to the Sydney clubs. They would be based permanently at Lang Park.

The ratings this club would generate would rival the Broncos.

It won't be the Jets as they have no money and are too isolated in a lowly populated Ipswich.

MugaB

Coach
Cairns = Northern Hunters, if a small town like the city of Townsville can field a team, cairns can too, the best reason as it no where near SEQ and can share a real rivalry with the cows