What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Mannering to retire. Hats off

Alfred DeBois

Juniors
He deserves his own thread too.

Mannering announces he'll retire at end of season
One of the Warriors' favourite sons, Simon Mannering, has announced he will retire at the end of 2018 as he closes in on becoming the club's first 300-game player.

Mannering, 31, will finish his NRL career as the club's most capped player, with 293 Telstra Premiership games to his name and a historic triple century looming if he plays every game up until the final-round clash with Canberra.

Regarded as one of the most durable men in the game, Mannering has been a constant for the New Zealand franchise for the last 14 seasons, appearing in a minimum of 17 games each year after his debut 2005 season.

Mannering had been weighing up whether to carry on into 2019, but will up stumps comfortable with the direction the club is headed in as the Warriors close in on their first finals appearance since 2011.

"It has taken a while to reach this point but I'm now comfortable with the decision I've finally made," Mannering said.

mannerings-17050521rc.jpg

Simon Mannering represented New Zealand with distinction. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"It hasn't been easy that's for sure. There has been a lot to think about. I've really enjoyed this season and that was one of the factors that was playing on my mind.

"I'm really grateful to the Warriors for giving me the time I needed. It's a big call when you consider retirement, even more so having played my whole career for this great club.

"It's not over yet, though. There are still a lot of games to be played and I want to do all I can to help the team and the coaching staff in our bid to finish this season as well as we possibly can."

Earlier this year Mannering also called time on his New Zealand Test career after 45 appearances for the Kiwis.

Mannering's on-field efforts for the club have been immense, with the Warriors tallying career totals of more than 9300 tackles, in excess of 27,000 run metres and close to 370 hours of playing time.

Warriors CEO Cameron George declared Mannering's contribution off the paddock matches his stature on it.

"It's difficult to put into words just how much Simon has done for the Warriors on and off the field and what he means to us and to members and fans alike," he said.

"Above all he's a champion player and a champion person who epitomises what a Warrior is all about.

"It's a tough day for all of us knowing this will be Simon's last season, more so because of the loyalty he has shown by being one of that select group of players who have been with just one club their whole career."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/18/warriors-star-simon-mannering-announces-retirement/

One Warrior

Bench
He deserves his own thread too.

Mannering announces he'll retire at end of season
One of the Warriors' favourite sons, Simon Mannering, has announced he will retire at the end of 2018 as he closes in on becoming the club's first 300-game player.

Mannering, 31, will finish his NRL career as the club's most capped player, with 293 Telstra Premiership games to his name and a historic triple century looming if he plays every game up until the final-round clash with Canberra.

Regarded as one of the most durable men in the game, Mannering has been a constant for the New Zealand franchise for the last 14 seasons, appearing in a minimum of 17 games each year after his debut 2005 season.

Mannering had been weighing up whether to carry on into 2019, but will up stumps comfortable with the direction the club is headed in as the Warriors close in on their first finals appearance since 2011.

"It has taken a while to reach this point but I'm now comfortable with the decision I've finally made," Mannering said.

mannerings-17050521rc.jpg

Simon Mannering represented New Zealand with distinction. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"It hasn't been easy that's for sure. There has been a lot to think about. I've really enjoyed this season and that was one of the factors that was playing on my mind.

"I'm really grateful to the Warriors for giving me the time I needed. It's a big call when you consider retirement, even more so having played my whole career for this great club.

"It's not over yet, though. There are still a lot of games to be played and I want to do all I can to help the team and the coaching staff in our bid to finish this season as well as we possibly can."

Earlier this year Mannering also called time on his New Zealand Test career after 45 appearances for the Kiwis.

Mannering's on-field efforts for the club have been immense, with the Warriors tallying career totals of more than 9300 tackles, in excess of 27,000 run metres and close to 370 hours of playing time.

Warriors CEO Cameron George declared Mannering's contribution off the paddock matches his stature on it.

"It's difficult to put into words just how much Simon has done for the Warriors on and off the field and what he means to us and to members and fans alike," he said.

"Above all he's a champion player and a champion person who epitomises what a Warrior is all about.

"It's a tough day for all of us knowing this will be Simon's last season, more so because of the loyalty he has shown by being one of that select group of players who have been with just one club their whole career."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/18/warriors-star-simon-mannering-announces-retirement/
Thank you, yes he does deserve his own thread and deserves to go out as a member of the 300, and playing finals football again too.

nick87

Coach
I’ll never under why he was moved into the middle for periods in his career
He was a very mediocre middle forward and a very good and underrated edge

blaza88z

Coach
Right up there with the Chris Heighington's of the NRL, a battler without ever being a superstar

TheDMC

Bench
2 time premiership winning Chris Heinington?

And Mannerking with 44 tests including as a Four Nations winning captain and World Cup winning captain, plus a NRL grand final captain where they wuz robbed by a DCE blatant forward pass

t-ba

Post Whore
Great player. Not many captain a World Cup win. Would he be the first to reacg 300 exclusively in Warriors colours?

And Mannerking with 44 tests including as a Four Nations winning captain and World Cup winning captain, plus a NRL grand final captain where they wuz robbed by a DCE blatant forward pass

Who?

My side has a DCE but he couldn't win a coin flip even if he was allowed to call both heads and tails.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Won the world cup as capt. Enough said.
Great club man and strong backbone of, at times, a soft Warriors pack.

TheDMC

Bench
Great player. Not many captain a World Cup win. Would he be the first to reacg 300 exclusively in Warriors colours?

Who?

My side has a DCE but he couldn't win a coin flip even if he was allowed to call both heads and tails.

The giraffe necked fella. But I don't think he threw a forward pass in the final. It was some other reason we wuz robbed, just can't recall. Anyway, Mannering will be missed. Quality player and human.

Life's Good

Coach
Good player who had a great work ethic. He was generally one of the better Warriors players in their all too frequent poor periods.
Hope he cracks the 300.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
One of the great Warriors. Was let down too often by those around him but never dropped his standards or complained.

He wasn't the WC winning captain, that was Nathan Cayless, but that doean't diminish what he accomplished. Will be missed.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’ll never under why he was moved into the middle for periods in his career
He was a very mediocre middle forward and a very good and underrated edge

Because he tackles his arse off and almost never misses, mainly. He’d definitely have been recognised more if he’d had the luxury of always playing where he was best rather than where the coach/team needed him to.