What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sledging.

Timbo

Staff member
This is really starting to piss me off.

Every country sledges. Every country gives niggle in the field. There is always banter and occasionally raised tempers. It doesn't matter who is playing.

Why is it then, the other nine test playing nations get on their f**king high horse about it when they play Australia? Why is it that when we sledge England, we're filthy colonials who don't understand the spirit of the game, but when England sledges us it's OK because we started it?

This shit with Kohli carrying on about Australians not being his friends anymore - it's the kind of bullshit you'd get in year 2 when you wouldn't let someone cut in line behind you at the canteen. He was comfortably the worst behaved player across the series, and he has the audacity to come out and talk about us?

More to the point, why the hell does every other player stand there like a precious snowflake melting in the sun because the big mean Australians have hurt their feelings? This seems to be unique to cricket too - League, rugby, soccer, tiddlywinks, etc all seem to understand the concept of what happens on the field stays on the field.

And so do we! You don't see us carrying on for weeks* about hurt feelings or mean words. You just get on with it!

Rant over.

*Except Stuart Broad. f**k that guy.

Bazal

Post Whore
Firstly, sledging is part of the game. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea. However, there is definitely a line when it comes to sledging....but I don't see any indication that either side crossed that line in this series.

I've always been baffled by the way other sides and other fans single out Australia for sledging. South Africa and England are tremendous sledgers, you can hear them chirping away all day but no one ever says anything. Brendon McCullum was a great sledger, but NZ somehow managed to put on the fakest nice guy act ever and the media fell for it. I think it goes back to the Steve Waugh era. Now, honestly, Waugh's team was no worse than any other at sledging. But because they openly targeted players and were honest about that, and because they gave it a mean sounding name (it wasn't sledging, it was "mental disintegration") people got the idea that we were doing something over and above normal sledging. Which is rubbish, because the entire idea of sledging is to get in a players head and alter his focus. They weren't doing anything that every other side wasn't already doing, they were just open about it.

I wouldn't read too much into Kohli. It's becoming more and more apparent that he's a petulant child with a massive ego who will fly into a tantrum when things don't go the way he envisions.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm just mind blown by the international response to this, which is essentially 'good on Kohli'.

I post on an English cricket forum, purely to discuss County Cricket as I'm a supporter of Worcestershire from the time I spent there. I seldom go into their international forum, but I did today. All of these bloody poms going 'yeah! Give the Aussies a taste of their own medicine! The Aussies are the worst sports in the world!'. Any attempt at logical discussion is met with 'oh your an Australian bully, you don't like it when people stand up to you do you'.

I mean, are these people off their f**king meds? Has James Anderson ever conceded a run that he didn't bark at the batsman after? Was Graeme Swann ever not the biggest trolling dickhead on a cricket field? Did Kevin Pietersen once shut his f**king mouth in a catching position?

And as for the fans - what is the Barmy Army but an organised group of 10,000 people who sledge the Aussies all day?

It drives me f**king bananas. I don't begrudge their right to sledge, but stop pretending that we're the only ones who do it.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think it's also a bit of a hangover from the tall poppy syndrome other sides had about us during the Waugh era, where we were streets ahead of everyone. They wanted something to hate so they clutched on to the "sledging is bad sportsmanship!" idea.

The yak

Juniors
All sides sledge. Some better than others. Occasionally there are a few instances where the line does get crossed but most of the time its harmless.

I like the humorous ones the best.

Merv Hughes & Graham Gooch.
Merv Hughes was all over Gooch in one test and proceeded to say: "Would you like me to bowl a piano and see if you can play that".

and a favourite.

Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne.
Cullinan was well known as being a bit of a bunny to Warne's bowling. The 2 hadn't played each other in some time so when Cullinan walked out to bat, Warne couldn't resist heckling him: "I've been waiting two years for another chance at you". Cullinan got him back with a ripper: "Looks like you spent it eating..."

The only thing better than a sledge, is a better response to the sledge.

Jimmy Ormond to Mark Waugh or Beefy to Rod Marsh immediately spring to mind.

Bazal

Post Whore
The only thing better than a sledge, is a better response to the sledge.

Jimmy Ormond to Mark Waugh or Beefy to Rod Marsh immediately spring to mind.

And that's part of the beauty of cricket. Not many other sports where you can engage in such a great mental battle with the opponents as well as a physical one

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I like it, its fun. you cop it back but you move on.

And to comment on the OP, I think the media would like us to believe its a bigger issue than it really is because that gets clicks.

For example, Vrat always has something to say on the pitch but now he has picked up his bat and ball and left cuz he doesn't have any friends anymore. You couldn't make that shit up.

some11

Referee
@Timbo

History is written by the victors ;)

Winning allows you to control the narritive, we win Kholi is the sooky dickhead.

Iafeta

Referee
Parore to Mark Waugh was good - something along the lines of MW: "I remember you from a couple of years ago. You were rubbish then and you f'n useless now." AP: "Yeah, thats right. When I was here last time you were dating that old, ugly s**t, and now you've married her. You dumb ....."

Best one though was Eddo Brandes to Glenn McGrath... "How come you're so fat?" "Because everytime I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit"

JJ

Immortal
Yep world cricket is still butthurt because Steve Waugh was mean to all of them.
Sure but seems to be a bit of Australian butt hurt around at the moment because Kohli is a meany.

Aust love dishing it out but don't take it terribly well.