What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney

Iafeta

Referee
Warriors and forwards should be the least of their problems
A good coach ...he'll ..even a pleb like me ...could work out those big kiwis need fitness and to run hard and straight then let those back kill it.

They look like they don't even care.
What the hell is Kearney saying at training and before games?

Big Kiwis? Is that you Blocker? Is anyone seriously this off their rocker that they still believe it's the 2002 forward pack?

Sometimes there just ain't enough facepalms.

Life's Good

Coach
Of the current coaches, he has strong competition in Anthony Griffin
Which begs the question as to why some coaches are able to get a gig despite the evidence saying they are no good. Is it lack of options, boys club nepotism, conservative thinking, no idea within the club as to what they want etc.

POPEYE

Coach
Regardless of what most people think imo Bellamy would struggle in NZ, he would do well most everywhere else but especially so in Melbourne where he has a captive audience. He would make enemies quickly in a place where players have sympathisers around every corner, where players can't/won't adhere to his strict regimes . . . Bellamy's apprentice is in even a worse predicament

Amin Yashed

Juniors
Warriors always seem to buy very good players. But their choice of coach has forever been shit. Problem for them is, there's not many out there anymore. Maybe Toovey night help them, but I doubt he'd want the job.

Who's their next coach ? Phil Economides ? Arthur Kitinas ?
Mogsheen Jadwat

carcharias

Immortal
Big Kiwis? Is that you Blocker? Is anyone seriously this off their rocker that they still believe it's the 2002 forward pack?

Sometimes there just ain't enough facepalms.

What... no more big kiwi footy players left over there?

They have an awesome1 6 7 and 9 that is the hardest part.

If you think teams don't need big forwards then save one of those facepalms for yourself ey bro.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

If you think teams don't need big forwards then save one of those facepalms for yourself ey bro.

The point he was making is that the Warriors don't have big forwards. There aren't many Warriors fans who think we don't need them.

carcharias

Immortal
The point he was making is that the Warriors don't have big forwards. There aren't many Warriors fans who think we don't need them.
So get some
Surely there is a least two big dumb bloody kiwis that can catch s footy and run in a straight line .
It's not like you haven't got an entire country to pick from

Iafeta

Referee
I hear you.

I shake my head honestly. In NYC, Lisone, Packer, Vete, Sao, these blokes played 60-80 minutes each week. Worked extremely hard and had massive impact.

Packer at the Warriors became so ordinary it wasn't funny. Then he goes to print number plates for two years and then gets fit and is dominant for the Dragons.

The ones still at the Warriors are dead on their feet 10 minutes in. And they don't make an impact.

Yes I know. The old adage is it's a massive step up. But there are a lot of blokes they are playing against that were significantly inferior or about the same who are now powerhouses in the NRL.

My point is, these blokes are now undersized by NRL standards and are absolutely unfit. But Packer goes elsewhere and he's three times the player. Despite going to the slammer!!

One part of the club I barely hear questioned is the strength and conditioning department. But they are doing a truly awful job. Do they perhaps do too much Ruben Wiki cross fit rubbish?

Tldr. We had recruited big kiwi blokes. But somehow now we've turned them into unfit skinny weeds.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The next coach has to be a little bloke.
7933873.jpg

AJB1102

First Grade
One thing that stood out to me in a couple Warriors games (Melbourne and Penrith I think) was Isaac Luke going off at about the 70th minute mark in a tight game. When a game is there to be won or lost in 10mins surely thats when you want your best out there, especially an international #9. If Luke can't produce 80mins anymore then there has to be a better way to manage that.

Spot On

Coach
Always found it weird that the team that has been the most successful in the under 20s has also been one of the worst at getting young players to be established first graders.

Maybe over the time they've focused too much in making their youngsters to be great u20's players instead of focusing on them being good first graders

Flat track bullies. Changes when the rest catch up in size.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I can break it down for you based on my opinion of what the big issues are. Some involves limitations of the environment and others are completely at the feet of the Warriors.

First thing is to break the myth that the Warriors have a whole country to themselves in regards to talent. That's like saying the QLD/NSW Union sides should dominate because they have a whole state (which is size/population comparative to NZ). In reality we know that the best players end up playing league more often than not because that's what they dream of and aspire to. The reverse is true for the Warriors because we know how much Union dominates the minds of most Kiwis when it comes to sport.

The second limitation is that in Australia there's SG ball/Jersey flegg etc which give players a higher standard of competition and better standard of coaching at a very young age. Over in Warrior land the coaching and standard of competition is just not there for these guys so they start behind. Added to that the way Union tries to restrict players from playing league and it's a fight just to keep players, let alone develop them properly. Too often it seems like Warrior players feel like they've made it just by reaching first grade with no real hunger to go further.

What this does is create a third limitation where in the past we've gone after junior union players (Hurrell, Kata, Laumape, Vete etc) and while they're physical specimens and have obvious physical talents, we're not getting to them until they're far along in their development. When we were dominating NYC we were doing that based on guys just being bigger and running over the opposition. This does nothing to prepare players for NRL, which is problem one of the Warriors poor development in the past.

The net result there is that you win NYC trophies, but players don't actually start learning to play rugby league until they're already in first grade. That's never going to work out well and is a big part of the reason why so many of our players are rocks and diamonds.

Problem 2 with the Warriors is their piss poor talent identification in the past. They almost exclusively grab players from South Auckland. While teams like the Storm/Panthers/Dogs etc are scouting the country looking for the next NAS or JFH. The Warriors just mosey on down to South Auckland, wait to be wowed by a physical specimen and pat themselves on the back because somehow this one will be different.

This further kills the "whole country to themselves" argument because the Warriors have often been too lazy to utilise the entire country.

In recent years we have improved our pathways, putting our best talent in NSW Cup and using NYC to blood 17 year olds rather than trying to win it. With NYC leaving I know the Warriors are attempting to get entry into SG Ball/Jersey Flegg etc, but no idea how close that is to becoming a reality.

Long story short, Kearney might not be the solution here, but like most Warriors coaches he's being handed a nice looking product that has serious fundamental design flaws and then is expected to go out and sell them. Half the reason the Warriors probably can't get a decent coach is that the decent coaches are smart enough to say "Yeah, nah, f**k that."

This has easily been the best reply to a question I've posted on here. Thank you

carcharias

Immortal
That's all nice
But that team clearly don't give a f**k.
In the past at least they have.

Last week they got run down after being 1000 in front
The coaches job is to make sure that they at least have a crack the next week.
There was none at all yesterday.
The Knights at their worst last year played with more respect for their club...and that's with a bunch of kids.

Warriors have a good team
Some of the best in the game
Who knows maybe they'll win a few games.
Kearney won't help though
They need a fair dinkum coach.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Haha, we don't have an awesome 9. We have a tubby, overpaid, undermotivated bum who turns up when we're already 20 ahead. Then gives up when we're 20 behind. Admittedly our 1, 6 (dependent on his motivation levels) and 7 would be much better behind a good pack.

Your point about there should be some monsters here we can develop is right, though. f**k knows why we don't.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Can we actually get a number on pack weights in the NRL? Is that available? Just so we can finally put to bed that we are 'big' forever. Matulino is big, that's it. The rest are average size if not smaller. I'd be surprised if we weren't bottom 3.

Kearney may suck as a coach but he has taken over a club full of unprofessional stink and a wet noodle/inexperienced forward pack. To get us to do what we did v the Roosters, most of the Storm game etc deserves some praise.

Latest posts