What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tasmania NRL Expansion

davi

Juniors
Interestingly there was article this week that suggested Tasmania for NRL expansion. I don't think the case was made strong enough for expansion in Tasmania. But the article did make some interesting points why the NRL is hesitant to pull the trigger on other expansion bids from (Bombers, Ipswich, CQ, and Wellington). I look those areas the NRL should be more worried about before trying to expand in Tasmania.

It's like the argument against Superleague. Superleague was worried about attracting audiences in Bejing, New York, and London. AFL was more worried about attracting audiences in Brisbane, Sydney, and Adelaide.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/01/07/consider-tasmania-nrl-expansion/

Last edited:

alien

Referee
People will say the population in Hobart isn't large enough (221,000), but it has a larger population than Townsville (180,300). I'm not sure how many people in Hobart/Tasmania would follow Rugby League though. Hobart/Tasmania has cricket teams in national comps. Eventually Hobart/Tasmania will have a team in a national comp in a winter sport. Whichever winter comp takes that chance, they probably won't have competition with other winter sports in Hobart/Tas. The NRL can't just make up teams in all these places though when there are 9 Sydney clubs. Too many teams in the comp makes the comp too weak. There is only so much top talent. I'm not aware of a good rectangular stadium in Hobart anyway.

alien

Referee
I think there is more of a chance that a Melbourne AFL team will relocate to Hobart. Hobart already has the oval stadium. IIRC North Melbourne Kangaroos were considering relocating to western Syd years ago. Maybe they'll be that club that takes the chance in Tassy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hasn't got a suitable stadium, the infrastructure in Tas for Rl is non existent, population and corporate support is limited. But apart from that good idea!

Marlins

Juniors
The merkin who wrote that article knows nothing.
More then the bombers bid competing in Qld Redcliffe, Ipswich who don't need there stadiums they would play out of Suncorp.
I could go on and on why tassie would not be suitable for the nrl this point in time.

T-Boon

Coach
Again, why not see about getting the Tassy government to sponsor a club like the Dragons or someone to take a couple of games down there each year.
At the least it might stir the AFL into taking more games there (or a team full time) and then further alienating melbourne AFL fans into supporting the Storm.

I'm bored and playing pretend. Dreaming really.

The kit is the Wyong Roos; the logo is some defunct AFL team.

Anyway...don't know if the colours would work with them being the Australian Kangaroos and all, but I kind of like it.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 9.14.53 am.png

T-Boon

Coach
I'm bored and playing pretend. Dreaming really.

The kit is the Wyong Roos; the logo is some defunct AFL team.

Anyway...don't know if the colours would work with them being the Australian Kangaroos and all, but I kind of like it.

View attachment 12897

This belongs in the B League thread.

With that badge they could be the Down South Devils.

Pity Elbusto isnt here anymore. He would quickly exoose the frailities of this idea.

Any expansion to tassie would be in the 3rd/4th wave of nrl expansion. I doubt anyone expects it in the next round.

1st:

WA
Bris 2

2nd:

NZ 2
Central QLD

3rd:

Adelaide
Tassie/PNG/Melb 2???

That third wave could be 40-50 years away.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I'd personally love to see a Tasmanian team enter the comp, maybe in the second round of expansion. First round would be Perth and Brisbane 2, then tassie and a second kiwi team, South Island team.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Despite the fact they are unlikely to ever get a AFL team, AR is stronger in Tassie than any other sport is anywhere in Australia. Perhaps similar to Townsville with Cowboys.
If they can't support an AFL team, then a full time NRL team would be a disaster.
But, Storm should be playing 1/2 games @ Nth Hobart Oval, and axe playing home games in Brisbane.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
screen-shot-2017-04-30-at-9-14-53-am-png.12897

F*ck, that logo is cool!!

flamin

Juniors
It would be good but it may be hard getting enough players (dont know the situation down there).

Alternately, they could put a team or 2 in the NSW Cup and build from there...
Surely a team in the Vic league would be more achievable.

Reactions: siv

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Despite the fact they are unlikely to ever get a AFL team, AR is stronger in Tassie than any other sport is anywhere in Australia. Perhaps similar to Townsville with Cowboys.
If they can't support an AFL team, then a full time NRL team would be a disaster.
But, Storm should be playing 1/2 games @ Nth Hobart Oval, and axe playing home games in Brisbane.

Agree Storm should play a game or two in Hobart or Launceston also if we need a Tassie team why not put them in second tier comps that goes for Adelaide also.

Latest posts