What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tasmania NRL Expansion

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
While I would really love to see a genuine National competition I've followed the highs and lows of the Domestic Tasmanian Rugby League and it hasn't been pretty, while the Storm have taken 2 trial games to Tassie over the last 5 years the fan support has been far from overwhelming.
Just when it looked like the TRL was going to reach a high the whole thing imploded, over the years we had a Tassie correspondent el Busto who kept us informed but I think that even he has given up unfortunately.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tasmania has a population of 500k...
Concentrate on PNG. Population 7.6 mill

Yeah PNG has a population of 7.6 million that is rugby league mad, however 39.9% of those 7.6 million people live below the poverty line and most of the rest of them are extremely poor, the country it's self is a very poor third world country with serious crime problems, and compared to Australia the sponsorship money in PNG is basically non-existent and the TV market in PNG is comparatively worthless compared to any modern country.

Maybe once the average income has skyrocketed and less then 25% of people live under the poverty line, violent crime rates have dropped off a cliff, and the club can be a sustainable business without being almost completely funded by the government, once all of that has happened then maybe we'll seriously talk about a PNG team.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a PNG team in the NRL, nowhere deserves it more, but it wont happen in my life time (or at least it shouldn't).

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The corruption of the png government and associates are the big issue. The Nrl would be stupid to throw money at a png team/government. I had read of a few programs the nrl have with the Aus gov and png gov to help promote women safety and other issues. These programs could be used to help further advertise/market/develop rugby league in png. Png is in the qcup and once they can show improvement in a number of areas they could make a play for the nrl. But still 10-15 yrs away easy.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think it would be a worthwhile investment to throw 1 or 2 development officers into Tasmania and scour the island of sports freaks. As well as have a few state government meetings to get funding for rugby league development by using current rl lifestyle programs like speeding/physical abuse/drinking programs.

FlameThrower

Bench
Another Brisbane team, a Perth team first. For PNG if not already done- should have a team playing QLD state Cup.

ed313909

Juniors
Why would the NRL have to fund a PNG team? Make a gold mining company fund the majority of the venture......

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Fiji, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, we should be heavily targeting Polynesia/Melanesia

Reasons:

Makes a genuine international game/competition, which should theoretically help tv rights a tad more. (I don't expect to get much money from those countries, but selling the game overseas, NZ/Uk rights, we might get a few mill more)

Sabotages Union seeing as they get a lot of their talent from there (aus/nz)

Provides a legitimate pathway for youngsters to "break out" of poverty, which should raise interest and participation levels

Good chance that when players retire, they will reinvest their time/money/experience into the next generation, helping the game grow.

Helps the international side of things long term.

There is definitely the "who is going to fund it" side of things, but the upside is huge.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
NRL, Aust Govt foreign aid. Perfect
There is also the goodwill concept that the NRL could milk to kingdom come, "nrl helps community, developed nations" etc.

think of how the AFL milks every single thing, multicultural round, first player from sudan, whatever, imagine the headlines the nrl could make if it did the aforementioned.

RoosTah

Juniors
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a PNG team in the NRL, nowhere deserves it more, but it wont happen in my life time (or at least it shouldn't).

PNG's GDP has been growing at an average of around 6-7% for the past decade, meaning it's more or less doubled in size since 2006. Development and security issues remain a problem to be sure, but if the economy's trajectory keeps it's current pace, then we'll be looking at quite a different country in the next 20-30 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Two Sydney clubs should agree to move their home games against Melbourne to tassie. Melbourne should make tassie their second region for members and sponsors.

NRL needs to fund two nrl games being played a year in png and one in Fiji.

Eion

First Grade
Yeah PNG has a population of 7.6 million that is rugby league mad, however 39.9% of those 7.6 million people live below the poverty line and most of the rest of them are extremely poor, the country it's self is a very poor third world country with serious crime problems, and compared to Australia the sponsorship money in PNG is basically non-existent and the TV market in PNG is comparatively worthless compared to any modern country.

Maybe once the average income has skyrocketed and less then 25% of people live under the poverty line, violent crime rates have dropped off a cliff, and the club can be a sustainable business without being almost completely funded by the government, once all of that has happened then maybe we'll seriously talk about a PNG team.

This. People are absolutely kidding themselves if they think PNG can sustain an NRL side.

Eion

First Grade
Security and cost for an NRL side would be unsustainable. And good luck getting an NRL player to live there. Won't happen.

Latest posts