What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ashes

Gareth67

First Grade
Barmy Army! Barmy Army! Barmy Army!
I want to win this 5 nil and lose all 5 tosses now to show just how big the gap is between these teams. When playing in Australia of course. If we play abroad we are hopeless......

Agree Crush , send that rag-tag Barmy Army back to the cold of England and have them suck on their warm ale for the rest of their winter .

As to when the Aussies travel over there to defend the ole' urn , you can be damn well sure that they will have the pitch's doctored . That is something that they excel at .

But for now , we can be proud of our mostly young cricketers for regaining the ashes .
Well done gentleman !

Crush

Coach
You are confusing ability to play the game with knowledge about the game.
Warne is always on Smith's case re captaincy and continually plays the part of the person "who should have been captain" well he f**ked up big time and never was the captain, so shut up complaining about Smith, who by all accounts is doing a pretty fantastic job. The great Keith Miller also suffered from the same issue (jealousy over the captaincy) when he was commentating cricket on the ABC.
Healy also offers to much criticism and has about many of our past captains and he should just stick to commentating what is in front of him.
Pietersen and Slater were gifted but flawed batsmen who had ego issues and now carry on like children giggle potting with Warne.
Chappell was the iconic captain who took a shit squad and turned into a ruthless cricket machine that dominated all before it at a time when men played the game with little regard for personal safety and with very little monetary reward even after Packer's circus came into being compared to many of the overpaid prima donnas of today.
Mark Taylor like Chappelli is also a cut above the wankers you like and the two of them still to this day exhibit all the hall marks of great captains and tacticians that got the best out of others.
You are confusing the abilty to lead others with being able to offer interesting commentary. Chappel is stuck in a time warp and just wants to tell the audience about days gone by. He is boring and offers nothing interesting other than the old "back in my day" comments.
I think that is why you are fond of him Old Timer.

Old Timer

Coach
You are confusing the abilty to lead others with being able to offer interesting commentary. Chappel is stuck in a time warp and just wants to tell the audience about days gone by. He is boring and offers nothing interesting other than the old "back in my day" comments.
I think that is why you are fond of him Old Timer.
A true leader of men just like Tubby and the others are the children that they mad men out of.
The ashes is serious business, surely you can't be happy with all that childish crap and giggling that permeates the commentary?
As far as Chappell being caught in a time warp, his views on tactics and captaincy are just as relevant today as they were when he took the field.
I know who I would want to play cricket under and it certainly isn't Warne, Pietersen, Healy or Slater.

Crush

Coach
A true leader of men just like Tubby and the others are the children that they mad men out of.
The ashes is serious business, surely you can't be happy with all that childish crap and giggling that permeates the commentary?
As far as Chappell being caught in a time warp, his views on tactics and captaincy are just as relevant today as they were when he took the field.
I know who I would want to play cricket under and it certainly isn't Warne, Pietersen, Healy or Slater.
I do love tubby. I had a photo taken with him once and someone put it up on the wall in my workplace. The girls said "how come you took a photo with the fujitsu air-conditioning guy?"
Funny stuff.
Back then Taylor hated Maxwell. I don't know if he still does. But I remember over-hearing him banging on about his dislike of Mazwell.

Old Timer

Coach
I do love tubby. I had a photo taken with him once and someone put it up on the wall in my workplace. The girls said "how come you took a photo with the fujitsu air-conditioning guy?"
Funny stuff.
Back then Taylor hated Maxwell. I don't know if he still does. But I remember over-hearing him banging on about his dislike of Mazwell.
Tubby epitomises all that is good with our game and Chappelli all that is tough in the game of cricket.
I suspect many of the "heroes" of today wouldn't have cut it when your ability and technique had to be so good otherwise you risked horrendous injury.
Would love to have seen Warner face Curtly, Snow, Holding, Roberts & co and likewise Warne bowl to Richards, Lloyd, Kallicharan, Greenidge and even Boycott.
TBH I do like the old days much better than this new stuff with outrageous bats, short boundaries and more armour than the battle of Hastings which has all detracted from the game IMHO.

Bench
I was out of the country for 16 years and did not follow the game from the states.
Our captain who I didn't know to much about is going to be up there with the stars of yesterday.
One thing that pisses me off is the commentary. I remember watching when we had Tony Greig, Benaud and others had set the bar on commentary. The team now are a joke.
One other thing is the group hugg every time a wicket falls and the team hugg after the test win.
It happens in league also. Go and watch some of the league teams from way back then. No group huggs.

Crush

Coach
I was out of the country for 16 years and did not follow the game from the states.
Our captain who I didn't know to much about is going to be up there with the stars of yesterday.
One thing that pisses me off is the commentary. I remember watching when we had Tony Greig, Benaud and others had set the bar on commentary. The team now are a joke.
One other thing is the group hugg every time a wicket falls and the team hugg after the test win.
It happens in league also. Go and watch some of the league teams from way back then. No group huggs.
Not a big hugger?;)

SEAT 1A

Bench
One thing that pisses me off is the commentary. I remember watching when we had Tony Greig, Benaud and others had set the bar on commentary.

Well put 2010, also enjoyed Brett Lee and Hussy.

Most of the 9 commentators feel their ego's are bigger that then game.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

What l find a bit hard to accept is when a player reaches 50 runs, they stop to get acknowledgement .
For what?
A lousy 50 runs...... big deal.
Look out when a batsman scores a 100.
There are leaps of joy, disco turns and backflips while the other batsman joins in the free for all.
Gone are the days when a batsman hit 100 and barely acknowledged it.
A quick head nod and half a bat raised and and moved in without a second thought.
Today, it’s almost a love-in.

Same applies when a doubles tennis players tap each other on the hand or butt, every dam time they play a point.
It’s enough to turn off the tv.

Crush

Coach
What l find a bit hard to accept is when a player reaches 50 runs, they stop to get acknowledgement .
For what?
A lousy 50 runs...... big deal.
Look out when a batsman scores a 100.
There are leaps of joy, disco turns and backflips while the other batsman joins in the free for all.
Gone are the days when a batsman hit 100 and barely acknowledged it.
A quick head nod and half a bat raised and and moved in without a second thought.
Today, it’s almost a love-in.

Same applies when a doubles tennis players tap each other on the hand or butt, every dam time they play a point.
It’s enough to turn off the tv.
Cmon OKB! Just let people be happy! Let them patt each others butts if it makes them happy!
I laughed when you brought this post to doubles tennis:)

Crush

Coach
OK, thoughts on BIG BASH?
I love it. Its just fun. No need to take it seriously just enjoy the summer vibes. I also like the commentary. Ricky Ponting one of my all time favorite batsmen. Mark Waugh, Flemmo, Gilly. Big Bash = Summer

Crush

Coach
Steve Smith is the difference between the two teams.
Without him we would probably struggle.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Steve Smith is the difference between the two teams.
Without him we would probably struggle.

Crush agree re smith but the extra pace of our bowlers also in the difference.
Our 3 main quicks are 10k quicker and Lyons is a world class spinner they don't have one

Crush

Coach
Crush agree re smith but the extra pace of our bowlers also in the difference.
Our 3 main quicks are 10k quicker and Lyons is a world class spinner they don't have one
Yes I totally agree with that. But still if you take Steve Smith out of our team I don't think we are 3 nil up in the series.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Funny stuff.
Yes tubby has a nice house in gladesville lovely guy and was definitely one hell of a captain .........

Crush

Coach
Top wicket taker Lyon (I think the quicks will cannibalise each other)
Top run scorer - Handscomb 3 x 100's (Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney)
Well Handscomb didn't quite come off for you OT but I think looking at todays wicket Lyon might just get you home for the top wicket taker.