What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Back 3

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hopefully nighty will retire with the lower deal not worth his time....we live in hope

I don’t understand the obsession with retiring Nightingale at age 31 only.

Most backs play until their mid 30s, but need effective structures around them to continue,

McGregor has failed him badly, and it’s a shame because there’s still a lot of good things he does without notice.

ouryears

Bench
I don’t understand the obsession with retiring Nightingale at age 31 only.

Most backs play until their mid 30s, but need effective structures around them to continue,

McGregor has failed him badly, and it’s a shame because there’s still a lot of good things he does without notice.
I guess it's the speed thing mate, nighty is a great footballer but we do need pace out there

Slater is about his age but still has the speed.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I guess it's the speed thing mate, nighty is a great footballer but we do need pace out there

Slater is about his age but still has the speed.

Following this logic about a winger’s need for speed, MacDonald should also get the same ‘heave ho’,

Although an impressive finisher, he doesn’t have the pace to score from more than 20 metres out.

And, when was the last time you saw MacDonald make a line break from a kick return?

He doesn’t catch kicks on the full, and his defence is awful.

His hit ups also lack venom.

Saints can do so much better, if Nightingale has to go then MacDonald needs to pack his bags too.

ouryears

Bench
Following this logic about a winger’s need for speed, MacDonald should also get the same ‘heave ho’,

Although an impressive finisher, he doesn’t have the pace to score from more than 20 metres out.

And, when was the last time you saw MacDonald make a line break from a kick return?

He doesn’t catch kicks on the full, and his defence is awful.

His hit ups also lack venom.

Saints can do so much better, if Nightingale has to go then MacDonald needs to pack his bags too.
I agree Jimmy, Nene runs soft

hazzbeen

Bench
At the start of the season, basically everyone, including myself said our backline was our weakness.
I just think they’ve been punching above their weight to date.
Anyway, the whole team was off today.
End of story.
Next week will give us a better indication of where our season is.
Old mate , I know where our season is going and it aint good .....

Mr Red

First Grade
My opinion on Mann hasn’t changed in 2 seasons. He should be no where near first grade unless we have numerous injuries.
He looks like a 12 year old playing against grown ups. Physically no where near first grade and has as much aggression as most have in their little finger.

Dufty despite some of his physical challenges at least has the X factor you need to win matches. Perhaps our only back with any X factor.

Lafai must join Mann in the reggies, offers very little, has a good moment every 5 matches just enough for our stupid coach to keep picking him.

Vinnie

Juniors
Pointless discussions i think !!!! Everybody is missing the main point ! No point talking about future and who we should get or who should go because our problem is now, the venom has gone, the spark has gone, the team is flat and busted, no origin players were rested so that can freshen up ( I applaud Panthers) AND WE LOST ANYWAY,
BUT The BIGGEST PROBLEM is that the players are knowingly not playing/fighting for their places. They know, the opposing teams know, the fans know, EVERYONE KNOWS the same players will just get picked. There is no changes there never is and no player sees their position under threat.
Every player should be be scared of being dropped but it just doesn't happen and the players know it and hence play accordingly !!!
The Back 3

nontime111

Juniors
Im just now saw the game being in WA.....
I am disgusted

Its fair enough that the forwards were a bit buggered after origin I expected that

but the backs!! enough is surely enough even for MCIDIOT!!

MANN...GOODBYE! not up to it, move him on

NIGHTINGALE NO MORE!!!!!! please retire Sir! too too slow though you try....

DUFTY...I love your attack youre one of the best but man, GET TO WORK ON DEFENCE OR GO TO ISP!!!

LAFIA , LET HIM GO!!! he just does NOT do enough, One good game per 7 awful atrocious wasted ones, NO consistency!

My backline for IMMEDIATE resolution would be:

Dufty
Herbert
Lomax
Aitken
Nene
Widdy
Hunt

LELUIA is a GUN as I said......hes getting better pergame and will help set up many tries like that for the future but sort the damn backline out with some YOUTH and SPEED now MCIDIOT im SICK of you!!

sadly our years over.....watch is slide down to 10th or 11th now......Im with OUR YEARS here....utter crap weve been shit for 10 weeks or so...NO excuse, get rid of the mediocre or next year well be 10th or 11th again aswell!

mw10371

Juniors
While despite the loss yesterday, I'm not going to go on and claim how shit we are, and the slide has begun and we wont even make the eight. And all that other bullshit you hear on here after a bad performance.....but!

I've held my tongue now for a while, but it's time for me to have a bit of a stab at a couple of our players......I don't know if anyone else has noticed....but...

1. Why is Dufty so reluctant to catch the high balls? Its a fundamental skill/requirement of a fullback, and for sometime now he has been happy to sit there and let them bounce. He needs to start owning that shit....you don't see Slater or Tedesco letting balls bounce.

2. Why are our kick returns from the back 3 most often at near walking pace. Mann in particular yesterday jogged one back, got smashed and lost the ball. They scored shortly after. Dufty jogs back, then wonders why he gets picked up and driven back 10 meters. Why the f**k don't they just run the ball back....Holmes style?

As a fullback in my playing days....a great coach once told me "They are the easiest meters you can make on the field"

Ok, i'll step off the soapbox now.

Oopps, I didnt see Friz's post which was a very similar vain.....

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken is not a centre; does not have a good passing game and his defensive reads are very poor. He mostly holds onto the ball and tries to do it all himself. Aitken nees to be on the bench and may one day be a good backrower.

Nightingale is done and should not be in first grade. Mary's wasted so many opportunities to blood a youn winger and centre this year. We knew about Aitken and Nightingale last season and so should have had the likes of Lomax and Herbert on our right edge early and maybe by now we would not be having this discussion.

I was a big fan of Mann but no longer. In the game yesterday he showed the same lack of technique that saw him dropped to reserve grade a couple of years ago. If possible I'd like to see him gone for 2019.

Yes Dufty is a work in progress however, surely the coaching staff should be working on his positioning and reads in defence. If his defence does not improve, I'm afraid that he may go the same way as Quinlan.

Our forwards are not dominating like they did earlier on in the season. Same, same as in previous seasons albeit the Dragons are further up the ladder this year. I would move Frizell to prop, Sims to the right edge and Leilua to the left edge. Sims would really stiffen up the defence on the right side; the combination of Frizell - Hunt - Aitken - Nightingale is a disaster and needs a complete revamp. At least on the left we have Widdop, Lafai and Mcdodald who seem to do an OK job in defence.

Lomax to right centre and Herbert to right wing unless of course Millward lands a couple of forwards and a couple of first grade rightside backs. I like the idea of retaining our juniors but not at the expense year after year of poor first grade results.

You are kidding comparing Dufty to Quinlan...that's the equivalent of a porsche being compared to a commodore.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dufty was doing a pretty good job of taking the high balls recently but yesterday reverted back to early season second guessing himself.

Our whole back 5 were ordinary yesterday and let the forwards and halves down severely.

As a unit they need to lift their intensity and running hard would be a good start...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh good, another thread about the performance of our back 3..

Mr Red

First Grade
While despite the loss yesterday, I'm not going to go on and claim how shit we are, and the slide has begun and we wont even make the eight. And all that other bullshit you hear on here after a bad performance.....but!

I've held my tongue now for a while, but it's time for me to have a bit of a stab at a couple of our players......I don't know if anyone else has noticed....but...

1. Why is Dufty so reluctant to catch the high balls? Its a fundamental skill/requirement of a fullback, and for sometime now he has been happy to sit there and let them bounce. He needs to start owning that shit....you don't see Slater or Tedesco letting balls bounce.

2. Why are our kick returns from the back 3 most often at near walking pace. Mann in particular yesterday jogged one back, got smashed and lost the ball. They scored shortly after. Dufty jogs back, then wonders why he gets picked up and driven back 10 meters. Why the f**k don't they just run the ball back....Holmes style?

As a fullback in my playing days....a great coach once told me "They are the easiest meters you can make on the field"

Ok, i'll step off the soapbox now.

You’re comparing the likes of Dufty and Mann to Slater , Tedesco and Holmes..... enough said.
You want a mini minor to run like a Ferrari....

Gareth67

First Grade
Totally agree mw10371 , that is the fullbacks job - to take those kicks and to be the teams last line of defense . It would appear that that Duffy ( although great in attack) still needs to learn how to defuse those high balls . That is not good enough , the man IS our 1st grade fullback and as such those skills are a prerequisite to that position.

getsmarty

Immortal
Totally agree mw10371 , that is the fullbacks job - to take those kicks and to be the teams last line of defense . It would appear that that Duffy ( although great in attack) still needs to learn how to defuse those high balls . That is not good enough , the man IS our 1st grade fullback and as such those skills are a prerequisite to that position.

With all due respect Gareth ( And I respect your opinions highly ) Dufty is in his 1st full year of the top grade. Give the kid a break. He will make errors along the way. He has shown plenty of upside and in reality the coach would probably put Nightingale there if he was to replace Dufty. He is improving as the year progresses eg hasn't been rag-dolled into touch since the early rounds

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I think Dufty has developed somewhat in attack but defence is a concern. He just doesn't seem to get to where he needs to be often enough.

Macdonald is what makes our back 3 look reasonably decent as a unit. He was a huge loss. Nightingale just doesn't have the same impact and Mann is a decent alternative to Nightingale but not for Macdonald.

Lomax will return from injury and Herbert also seems to be kinda close. The powers that be need to give those guys a serious look for any back 3 position.

Watatank
Could not agree more.
Lomax could be this week or next .
So give a few weeks he will be ready.
Re Herbert he sould be given a go.
He is second leading meters gained in the isp.

Gareth67

First Grade
With all due respect Gareth ( And I respect your opinions highly ) Dufty is in his 1st full year of the top grade. Give the kid a break. He will make errors along the way. He has shown plenty of upside and in reality the coach would probably put Nightingale their if he was to replace Dufty. He is improving as the year progresses eg hasn't been rag-dolled into touch since the early rounds

Your correct getsmarty , perhaps I am being somewhat harsh however I am of the belief that who ever plays in the fullback position should attempt to catch the ball . We were taught from our youth ( at fullback ) to always to catch the ball and never ever allow it to bounce .

When the Dragons are playing in the semis you can be sure that the opposition coaches will be telling his kickers to pepper Duffy with those towering kicks . Other then that his first year in the No. 1 jersey he has done well and will certainly improve in the years to come .

Latest posts