What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Memorable Eels Games Thread

strider

Post Whore
I will always remember the revenge match vs the cheats in 2010 ... terrible day, pissing rain - kept the crowd down, but it was still an electric atmosphere

Gronk

Staff member
I remember being at a cracking game between Parra and Souths in 1997 at the SFS. A mate of mine was (is) a mad Bunnies supporter so we went along on the Saturday arvo, beautiful sunshine... Parra were good that year and Souths were ordinary, but the game was tit for tat throughout, we'd score, they'd score, they'd score again, then we'd hit back and so on and so on... We ended up edging them in a close contest....

If you had told me then that 20 years from that day Souths will have won a premiership and the Eels would still be waiting to add another premiership to the 81, 82, 83 and 86 premierships I would have.... well I don't know what I would have done.... but I wouldn't have believed it in any case.... sigh....

I also recall seeing Parra play the bunnies at SFS and David Penna scored 5 tries in multiple grades. Those days a good game in Presidents Cup would get you a bench spot in Reserve Grade. Likewise a good regies game got you a gig in FG. Penna stepped his way across the line so many times that day it was amazing to watch.

strider

Post Whore
And for the record, you had these for breakfast this morning...

kicproductimage-121045.jpg.thumb.319.319.png
that would explain the sugary crumb i just found stuck to my cheek

forward pass

Coach
I remember all the above games.

With regards to the Newie game, we were down to 10 players v 13 - and they had an immortal playing halfback - and they still only just got us !! I seem to recall a Knights player went to the bin too but the article doesn't mention it so I could be wrong. We were crucified that day - absolutely crucified.

forward pass

Coach
Going back a long way here - back to the early eighties, but we played a match against the bunnies at Redfern and the game was all over - we lead by a fair margin. Bunnies scored 2 or 3 tries in the last 5 minutes to tie the game and then kicked a field goal on the bell to win. Amazing game.

forward pass

Coach
2 great games were in 2009.

2) That first final against the Dragons. 1v8. Hayne scored one of the greatest individual tries of all time.

Funny thing about that game was that it was at Kogarah - where we had played them only 6 or 7 days earlier and got thrashed 30 nil or something. I recall both Hindy and Grothe did not play - i reckon we were just foxing - we had no intention of winning that day. It was all a plan.

Incorrect

Coach
Funny thing about that game was that it was at Kogarah - where we had played them only 6 or 7 days earlier and got thrashed 30 nil or something. I recall both Hindy and Grothe did not play - i reckon we were just foxing - we had no intention of winning that day. It was all a plan.

It was DA's version of the Ali Rope-a-Dope.... no question

84 Baby

Referee
Would have definitely been a memorable game if Penrith backed up a couple of days later and done the same to Knights and bundled us back out of top 8. Thankfully Penrith were also aboard the Hayne Train and got hammered 35-0

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have vague memories of back to back games at Parra in I think 2004 which had indentical finishes with us coming from 16 points down with less than 10 to play and Witt kicking sideline conversions both times to win the games on the bell. Want to say against NQ & NZ but probably wrong
No I reckon you're right about the teams. Except against the Warriors we got a lead, then they came back to smash us in the second half before we scored a couple late to win it. We had conceded about five straight tries in the second half, so it felt weird that we only had to score a couple to get back in front.

Basil Brush

Juniors
i can't believe nobody has mentioned the 2009 prelim final against the dogs massive crowd best atmosphere of any game I've ever been to and that includes origin
I had to listen to that game on the radio.

Was in Canberra at a family function and I had to excuse myself from the function.

Family came out looking for me eventually

f**k I was at that game... 2 Prelims in 2 years where we bottled it.... Was a long long train ride home that night....

i had the same experience in 05 riding train home from cowboys prelim final some dumbarse cows fan was trying to put shit on me but i just sat there staring into space i was in total shock

forward pass

Coach

I still can't believe that an innocuous field goal on half time by Benji - ended up winning this game for the Tigers. I am still filthy - it would have been the greatest come from behind win of all time !!

I mean who kicks a field goal when leading 24 nil.

84 Baby

Referee
I still can't believe that an innocuous field goal on half time by Benji - ended up winning this game for the Tigers. I am still filthy - it would have been the greatest come from behind win of all time !!

I mean who kicks a field goal when leading 24 nil.
Not only that but the Ken Sio bee's dick no try... what could have been

84 Baby

Referee
Plus the Loltzen leg pull on Blair at the end was a clear penalty for chance at 8 point penalty try

Latest posts