What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Problem

Swarzey

Bench
It all comes down to the spine and currently we have a five eight who is still far too young to be in the NRL, too young to be expected to lead the side around. We have a hooker who has a brilliant scoop and running game from his position but not enough to be someone like Smith or Granville. Against popular belief, I feel we have a fullback who is solid in what he does but what he doesn't do is chime in on attacking plays. I'm sure we would have had that with Phythian and we'll have it next year in Ponga.

Every successful team has at least one player in the spine that leads the side around. That commands the ball, structures the attack and tries to be creative, innovative with their last tackle options. I feel like we've seen glimpses of that from Lamb but we should be expecting it from Hodkinson. He has the experience, that idea that he wouldn't be a flashy player but he'd be the one to structure the side - players hitting the right holes, backline sweeps working, last tackle options having positive results. And without anyone in the spine capable of stepping up to do that, at least not when it's needed the most, we fall apart. Crusader is spot on, we're lost, we can't create anything, we rely on flukes and individual brilliance to score points.

And I agree with Knightside, I'd keep him over a number of players already in the NRL regardless of how well they might play because it's not them leading the side; it's not them providing structure and attacking plays. But we need to move Hodkinson on and gamble on someone who is going to provide SOMETHING in attack. Brown truly needs to sit Hodkinson down and inform him that his job is to do what Lamb, Levi and Elliot can't do or his arse is out.

I'd go as far to say take a punt on Cogger when he gets back. Give me Fenney. Hell, lets be the Newcastle of old and put Jack Johns in the 7 just so we have a reason not to play Hodkinson. Nothing pissed me off more than the fact Hodkinson did nothing until the very end today when we needed him. I consider that more egotistical and selfish above anything else. Great captain there.

Buhrer or Barnett or both; maybe at least some actual leadership will be enough and we can carry Hodkinson's sorry arse until his contract expires.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
I was impressed with most players efforts today, but dumb mistakes cost us badly for the umpteenth time. We need a leader big time, who can direct us around the park & drive us. Hodkinson is not that person, takes all the wrong options, slow as my Grandma, makes a few tackles but gets palmed when it counts, the only positive is his goal kicking. Swap him with Maloney & we win Hands down. Looks like Brown needs to treat him like Farrah at the Tigers, although its a waste of cap money, drop him to reserves & get anyone into the position who will have a flat out go rather than stuff everything he puts his hands on, who the hell signed him in the first place, there is no upside to anything he does. I loved listening to his post match interview, how could he keep a straight face talking about competing with the top sides, he doesn't compete, he hides, he's a passenger. Bite the bullet Brown & give him the arse if you persist, your signing your own death warrant, is it really worth it? I would also like to wrap 2 players today who I thought were not much chop in the past, Brendan Elliott was a bit more positive & enthusiastic, I hope he continues to improve. Stockwell had a go in both attack & defence & seems to be getting better week by week, at least he runs flat out rather than plodding along or skipping before he gets to the line, like is the norm these days.Anyway onwards & upwards boys, go hard or go home!

Fangs

Coach
Yes you haven't got the world's best spine. But I'd be having a look at the cattle around it too. Problems all over the park.

K-Man

Bench
Yes you haven't got the world's best spine. But I'd be having a look at the cattle around it too. Problems all over the park.

Good input. I don't think it occurred to anyone that our back to back wooden spoon winning squad is not particularly good. But now that you mention it, we should probably buy 10 rep players.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
Good input. I don't think it occurred to anyone that our back to back wooden spoon winning squad is not particularly good. But now that you mention it, we should probably buy 10 rep players.
I realize you're being sarcastic, but the guy has a point. Over the past few years we have not only given first grade jerseys to plodders, but we have celebrated them as if they were special. Robbie Rochow is a superb example of this, lauded as a future captain here, dropped by Souths for a guy who hasn't made a firstgrade squad in 9 years. I'd rather us take the Penrith approach from the beginning of their rebuild and be honest about the quality of player we have instead of trying to pretend that they're good.

perverse

Referee
We're not going to worry anyone too much while we're running guys like Starling, Yates, Stone, Elliot, Stockwell and Lord Plod himself - Hodko. Replace those 6 with good players and we probably win yesterday. That isn't to say that they all played like shit or didn't have a dig, it's just to say that they're not incredibly gifted and if you had larger output from them, you'd have a stronger team overall.

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. Pete
5. Gagan/Whoever
6. Jack Bird
7. Lamb
8. Scott Bolton
9. Levi
10. A Matt Scott or James Graham type
11. Sione
12. Buhrer
13. Barnett

14. Kostjaysn
15. D. Saifiti
16. J. Saitifi
17. Pauli Pauli

That's a pretty servicable top 17, and we're not that far off it. Props are a huge issue for us, for sure... the Saifitis need more time as benchies for mine. We probably have the money to pay for such a roster, it's easy to understand why Brown wants a few quality signings. With the recent cap announcement, there's a good chance of a fire sale coming up.

Spot On

Coach
I realize you're being sarcastic, but the guy has a point. Over the past few years we have not only given first grade jerseys to plodders, but we have celebrated them as if they were special. Robbie Rochow is a superb example of this, lauded as a future captain here, dropped by Souths for a guy who hasn't made a firstgrade squad in 9 years. I'd rather us take the Penrith approach from the beginning of their rebuild and be honest about the quality of player we have instead of trying to pretend that they're good.

All good points and I think that is what, in part, Brown has tried with the crop he had upon arrival. It is going to take time, unfortunately, as we have witnessed at Penrith. Time that the impatient ones don't want or necessarily agree with but the history of good and bad rebuilds should be apparent to those who follow the NRL. Penrith is a result of a long but smart rebuild and are now seeing a team and club with good depth and the ability to attract any player they see necessary to fill a weak position.

Long way to go here. Long way. From all reports we seem to have a few gooduns in the 20's at the moment so hopefully they kick on under Brown's tenure.

Now, a little off point, but who the f**k ever thought Rochow would be club captain??? I remember reading similar in here years ago and never saw anything other than a bloke who made most his tackles and took a few hit ups. Nothing else. Nothing outstanding in a leadership role.

Spot On

Coach
We're not going to worry anyone too much while we're running guys like Starling, Yates, Stone, Elliot, Stockwell and Lord Plod himself - Hodko. Replace those 6 with good players and we probably win yesterday. That isn't to say that they all played like shit or didn't have a dig, it's just to say that they're not incredibly gifted and if you had larger output from them, you'd have a stronger team overall.

1. Ponga
2. Sio
3. Gagai
4. Pete
5. Gagan/Whoever
6. Jack Bird
7. Lamb
8. Scott Bolton
9. Levi
10. A Matt Scott or James Graham type
11. Sione
12. Buhrer
13. Barnett

14. Kostjaysn
15. D. Saifiti
16. J. Saitifi
17. Pauli Pauli

That's a pretty servicable top 17, and we're not that far off it. Props are a huge issue for us, for sure... the Saifitis need more time as benchies for mine. We probably have the money to pay for such a roster, it's easy to understand why Brown wants a few quality signings. With the recent cap announcement, there's a good chance of a fire sale coming up.

Stockwell has been alright. Only 25 and needs a lot of footy under his belt and more bulk before being written off. I love the potential in Stone. Yes missed a few tackles that lead to tries yesterday but is a baby. He's a long way off but could be anything. I also like Yates. Yes he is small but has more than held his own in defence and runs as hard as anyone.

There's no defending Hodko. What you see is what I expected when he signed as far as his attack goes. Starling is here to fill a hole in the roster for a short while and Elliott could possibly make a good soccer player (bit harsh).

perverse

Referee
Now, a little off point, but who the f**k ever thought Rochow would be club captain??? I remember reading similar in here years ago and never saw anything other than a bloke who made most his tackles and took a few hit ups. Nothing else. Nothing outstanding in a leadership role.
I think when he first came back, because he was a captain in our lower grades, there was talk about him being future captain material. I think it was more paper talk than forum talk, though.

Turns out the bloke is a pea heart.

Spot On

Coach
Yep. I'll admit there were a few games the year he played quite well that I thought for a while he could turn out to be handy but injuries derailed that. I didn't know Madge has dropped him for a bloke who hadn't played first for 9 years???? Who was that???? Is this true?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Stockwell has been alright. Only 25 and needs a lot of footy under his belt and more bulk before being written off. I love the potential in Stone. Yes missed a few tackles that lead to tries yesterday but is a baby. He's a long way off but could be anything. I also like Yates. Yes he is small but has more than held his own in defence and runs as hard as anyone.
I'm not saying I don't like either Yates or Stone, but they are years being off first graders - and may never get there the way we're trying to develop them at the moment. Yates I'm still not sure can ever get there because he's so damn small for a forward.

Stockwell I don't particularly care much for. Maybe he gets there, I dunno. I feel like there needs to be room made in the team for some aggro props that get through some work, and he'd be amongst the first I moved to make way for such a player. Of all our potential forwards over the next few years, I see the least potential in him. Especially as far as props go.

Spot On

Coach
I think Stockwell should aim to replicate what Matt Prior does at the Sharks. Don't know if he ever will but I think that would suit him. Can see similarities between them. However, we do need some big, agro props to lead the young boys we have now. Those (and and a decent 7) are what we really, really need ASAP.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
Yep. I'll admit there were a few games the year he played quite well that I thought for a while he could turn out to be handy but injuries derailed that. I didn't know Madge has dropped him for a bloke who hadn't played first for 9 years???? Who was that???? Is this true?

Dropped for Anthony Cherrington, who I thought the Roosters cut at the end of '08, but he played 5 games in '09, so 8 years. He has had injury and off field issues, but played well enough that unless Souths have injuries or want four forwards on the bench he should be ahead of Rochow.

Spot On

Coach
So Rochow wasn't injured - just replaced by a bloke who hasn't played NRL since before Rochow made his NRL debut???

Ouch!

Spot On

Coach
I'm not saying I don't like either Yates or Stone, but they are years being off first graders - and may never get there the way we're trying to develop them at the moment. Yates I'm still not sure can ever get there because he's so damn small for a forward.

Yes I know but they are getting a taste while we have injuries to Rory and Pauli. They need to make the most of it. I think Stone can come on quickly if he's fair dinkum. Puts on a fair bit of bulk next off season and he'll be ready quicker than we think.

Apey

Staff member
We're not going to worry anyone too much while we're running guys like Starling, Yates, Stone, Elliot, Stockwell and Lord Plod himself - Hodko. Replace those 6 with good players and we probably win yesterday.

Replace hodko with any half decent halfback and we could potentially be 4/5 lol. We lost 3 games by 1, 4 and 6. Even if two of those teams do suck it makes me feel a little better..

There was alot of judgement when taylor dropped farah to reserve grade but with hodko i dont think anyone would be surprised. Actually in doing this i think hodko would get a serious wake up call and would have a go the next chance he got called up for starting position.

K-Man

Bench
There was alot of judgement when taylor dropped farah to reserve grade but with hodko i dont think anyone would be surprised. Actually in doing this i think hodko would get a serious wake up call and would have a go the next chance he got called up for starting position.

All well and good in theory, but that's assuming Hodko has another level to go to, which I don't believe he does. This is very different to a case where a marquee forward isn't having the impact the coach knows he's capable of. This is a halfback with an extremely limited skillset, who is playing like a halfback with an extremely limited skillset. He was like this when we bought him and he will be like this until he retires.

I'm all for dropping him, but if it happens (it won't) then I would not be holding out for his big inspirational comeback to prove Brown wrong. I'd be holding out for him to demand we let him out of his contract to head to England where he belongs.

Rudderriffic

Juniors
He's no world beater at this stage in his career but Benji put on a performance today in the Queensland Cup. Did leave the field with wrist/shoulder complaint.

He turned down a reasonable sounding offer from the Dragons (300k iirc) to go to Brisbane for peanuts. Might be regretting it now that it looks like he will see limited first grade time? Although he had to know that going in. Experienced guy with a decent kicking game, serviceable running game and good playmaking skills.

At the very least, signing any semi competent half, even if they sit in ISC for a bit, should motivate our halves. You would hope. Just has to conform to Brown's signing criteria I suppose, and I would assume we would be paying at least 300k+ for a year of Benji so that could be touch and go.