What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wit and Wisdom of Jason Taylor

Ron's_Mate

Bench
"It is about the synergy of the team, getting the pieces to get it together."

AAFuLlN.jpg

Tigerted

Juniors
This deluded embarrassment in coaching insider after our 2nd win said "we'd finish in top few teams @ end of season.

If we don't finish in bottom 4 it will b a miracle.This gump is incapable of improving the paper thin defence & work ethic of this team.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Defence seemed fine today. Just work on that ball work and we'll be sweet.

If not Taylor then who? Sheens was punted, Potter was shafted, surely it's something amongst the group if it's the 'fault of the coach.' Don't come chirping around when they come good and JT proves his worth.

Tigerted

Juniors
An error riddled game with predictable attack by both teams made it very easy to defend.

Overall this season thus far our defence has as per usual not been good enough for the team to be a finals contender.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/high-scoring-wins-didnt-help-us-taylor%C2%A0/tabid/10874/newsid/94259/default.aspx
High-scoring wins didn't help us: Taylor

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor says a pair of high-scoring wins to start his club's season may have been entertaining to watch but aren't the type of performance that will help his side into the finals.
In praising his team's defensive efforts in keeping a now co-ladder-leading Parramatta to just one try in Wests Tigers' 8-0 Easter Monday loss, Taylor was far more effusive of the Tgers' efforts without the ball despite a lack of cohesion in attack.

The Tigers raced out to a 28-4 lead against the Warriors in Round 1, which became 28-26 before a late try sealed it. In Round 2 a 16-2 lead against Manly evaporated to 16-all before a late surged saw them run out 36-22 victors.

After back-to-back losses, the coach hinted those wins may have papered over a few defensive cracks and given the team a false sense of security and led to a lack of cohesion in attack with the team just expecting things to happen.

"It has been a couple of games now that we've struggled to control it and the players know what it is. We sat down after the game and they told me what the problem was, I didn't need to tell them, they knew it," Taylor said after the Eels loss.

"But because we had some really great execution in those first couple of rounds it probably has had an impact. I know it's great to watch but I didn't love the fact we won those first couple of games with really high scores for and really high scores against.
"We've got to get our defence. If we want to play in the semi-finals you've got to improve the defence.
"We finished 11th in defence last year which was a big jump up from 16th the year before and we want to go again, we need to get higher."

Taylor pointed out there were teams in the top eight in 2015 in terms of points scored that missed the finals. The Raiders actually scored the second-most points of any side but missed the top eight.
"We finished sixth in attack last year but we didn't play in the semi-finals. A lot of teams that finished in the top eight in attack who didn't play in the semi-finals. Why? Because they didn't defend well enough. We need to improve that. The last two weeks were really positive in that regard," Taylor said.

The implication may be that the supposed attacking licence his side enjoyed in the opening fortnight may be getting reeled in. Taylor said the team was excited by its defensive achievements and just needed to tighten up its execution with ball in hand and cut down on the error rate.

"It was really positive from us the way we defended [Monday] and last week as well," he said.
"There are really great signs for us, it's early in the season and what we're looking at as coaches from our teams defensively in the last two games has been really good.

"The scoreboard blew out a bit last week [against the Titans] with a couple of extra tries than we would have liked but they were on the back of a bit of luck that went the Gold Coast's way.
"We're disappointed that we've lost that game but that is a really massive positive for us the way we've defended."

He certainly concentrates on the positives after a loss. Jase - 95% of teams win when they restrict the opposition to 8 points.

Cant believe that he is also saying that the Gold Coast had some luck the previous week - the Tigers were well beaten that night...

WT Unity

Juniors
Whilst I thought we defended well yesterday and I wasn't too unhappy with the WT finally showing some defensive grit and stoic effort to shut down a pretty good side to only one try.....I was, however, amazed to hear JT in the press conference reference the Titans defeat as having some defensive positives for us. Didn't they put 30 unanswered points on us? We were defensively solid yesterday....not so last week. We do have the ability to do both, it seems we don't have the concentration (at this stage anyway) to do both in the one game!

Tigerted

Juniors
1 satisfactory defensive display against average attack in an ordinary game certainly doesn't mean we've turned the corner with our defence.We r not close to being a team that has the defensive capabilities to being a finals contender.

All the +ve spin by Taylor is to deflect attention from the reality that we have many deficiencies & to deny the paranoia revolving around uncertainty with his coaching future.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think that Taylor just doesn't get it. He doesn't seem to have a clue.

Yes the defence was great but how poor were our halves.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am at a total loss with Taylor. He was a slightly better than average half with a longer than average career. He was a pretty good goal kicker as well. For the life of me he can't seem to pass these skills onto our halves. He might have possessed skills but he doesn't have the skills to pass them onto his team.

I can't remember Taylor putting up hope and pray bombs, he always seemed to have a last play up his sleeve that put some pressure on the opposition. Either he can't get this across to Brooks or he isn't a coaches arse.

Tiger05

First Grade
I am at a total loss with Taylor. He was a slightly better than average half with a longer than average career. He was a pretty good goal kicker as well. For the life of me he can't seem to pass these skills onto our halves. He might have possessed skills but he doesn't have the skills to pass them onto his team.

I can't remember Taylor putting up hope and pray bombs, he always seemed to have a last play up his sleeve that put some pressure on the opposition. Either he can't get this across to Brooks or he isn't a coaches arse.

You would think he would be a great coach wouldn't you. He had average ability but made the most out of it with smarts.

If he said the right thing then at least he would give you some confidence that he wasn't the problem.

Todays news we heard JT say in regards to Farah starting on the bench,

“There was a lot of talk about that, but just keeping him out of that first 15 minutes, that was the right decision,” Taylor said. “We were really comfortable with that. It’s tough out there at the moment.

“Robbie was asked to make a lot of tackles in a row and he and I have chatted about it — he’ll be much better for the run and he’s ready to go from the start of the game this week.” Farah came on midway through the first half against the Eels, but was again substituted for Cherrington at a crucial junction late in the game.

Taylor said Farah accepted the decision.
but then said
“He’s fine. He understands this is a team. It’s a team game and everyone’s doing their bit for the team, and that’s part of it,” Taylor said.
So, now he has to remember that he said it was a 'team' thing going forward - is it a team of 19 only or will he consider the 20th, 21st player. Will he consider giving Cherrington a full game in NSW Cup in the next few weeks for the benefit of Cherrington and 'the team'. Will he consider giving guys he bought to the club a game for the benefit of 'the team' ? Wisdom in choice of words JT;-)

Was certainly not a flashy half. Had to work very hard to be a good footballer. Can't believe he cannot instil that sort of ethic and patience into a talented pair like Moses and Brooks.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
If you can believe Channel 7 sport we could be in negotiations with Ivan Cleary.

The story said Cleary returned Pascos call (if you can believe it) while Pasco was having a conversation with Taylor....moves might be underway to change coach or certainly put pressure on the coach. Either way it isn't a bad thing. Get results or get replaced.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Was certainly not a flashy half. Had to work very hard to be a good footballer. Can't believe he cannot instil that sort of ethic and patience into a talented pair like Moses and Brooks.
Maybe they don't get it or just ignore the advice.

wisdom

noun

the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgement; the quality of being wise.
For me it would be good judgement to let Cherrington have his 15 minutes (if not 80 in NSW Cup) either side of half time and have the experience, knowledge and good judgement (hopefully) of Farah on the field at the end of the game.

Tiger05

First Grade
For me it would be good judgement to let Cherrington have his 15 minutes (if not 80 in NSW Cup) either side of half time and have the experience, knowledge and good judgement (hopefully) of Farah on the field at the end of the game.

I like Cherrington and I think Robbie probably needs a break but he isn't really being used correctly is he. We needed Robbie out there at the backend of the game.

One positive in his last 2 games is that Robbie is playing well.

chopsy_05

Juniors
Ennis played 80. Farah is more than capable. Farah went off and then came back on again. That's three changes again for the Hooker position. Same as last week. After the two early concussion changes JT use of the interchange bench is nothing short of incompetence. I was willing to give JT til round 12 at the beginning of the year before I pulled out the daggers but after this they are well and truly out now. What about JT putting Lovett at centre when teddy went off today. Did he not learn anything from the panthers game last year. Bring on Cleary and hopefully Elijah Taylor will
Follow.

macnaz

Staff member
Can anyone tell me when Mark Oneill actually started pulling the strings at the club ? Not when he was signed but actually making calls ? 1st i heard was round 3 with the beers and pizza.

Last edited: