What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thursday night games to return in 2018 despite underwhelming crowd figures in Sydney

Vee

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/th...y/news-story/b237eabaa6031f72ef21c6f00168f7d7

THE NRL says it will press on with Thursday night football next year despite statistics that show resistance to the timeslot to an extent that 12 matches played in Sydney averaged just 9796 spectators a match.

Four matches in Brisbane on Thursday nights, one in Melbourne and one in Townsville totalled 144,826 of the 262,383 spectators who watched the 18 Thursday night games live.

Those six matches outside NSW were the only six occasions when more than 15,000 went to watch a game on a made-for TV Thursday night.

Brisbane’s four Thursday night home games – against the Roosters, Panthers, Bulldogs and Eels – were the four-biggest crowds in the timeslot at an average of 26,291.

At the end of the home and away rounds, crowds in all timeslots were down 2.8 per cent and for the first time since 2004 failed to average 15,000 a game.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg last month said the Thursday night timeslot would again be a strong feature of next year’s draw.

Thursday night games in Sydney can be a hard sell.

He said Thursday night television ratings were “much higher’’ than for the Monday night timeslot discarded after 2016.

Greenberg also said that the Friday 6pm game was a “great opportunity for young fans to see the game’’ and that venue choice needed to made better.

But the same resistance Sydneysiders have to travelling to early Friday matches at ANZ Stadium is there in Thursday night offerings.

Canterbury (three times) and South Sydney (once) did not draw even 9000 to Thursday night fixtures at ANZ Stadium, but suburban venues did not work for the NRL in that timeslot.

Cronulla had three in the timeslot, including the season-opener as premiers against Brisbane, and got along to the games just 27,962 in total.

Thursday night ratings are much higher because they're on FTA, you clueless turd.

Did I say "clueless"? I meant "deceitful".

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
NRL doesnt care about crowds.
kanye-west-comment-on-bush1.jpg

I like the spin put on the 6pm game. It's great for young fans apparently, despite being inaccessible to many because it's on fox. So they like young fans watching the game but make the biggest games, the grand final and origins, start after 8pm to ensure they can't see them.

Emu01

Juniors
They show no respect to fans and then expect the fans to show up to ridiculous time slots.

Greenberg is just a puppet to the television broadcasters..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grant is comfortable with attendances. our great game has never been blessed with great administration sadly but this is an epic fail even by RL standards. Lowest crowds since 2004 FFS! What's the population growth in that time? As a % of population attending games it is even more sht House!

Chook Norris

First Grade
I think it's been something like close to 2 years since ive commented on a crowd related thread, but gee nothing changes does it. Crowds won't improve until the NRL actually values attendances and respects what the fans want.

Hard to have the right games at the right venues when the most important thing is not working - time which clearly affects flexibility. The NRL is so dysfunctional and weak.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the way Todd talks as if they have a choice! They have locked in 5 years of mediocrity. I hope the players and club CEO's enjoy the massive pay rise because those tv $'s are potentially going to screw the fans!

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Greenberg also said that the Friday 6pm game was a “great opportunity for young fans to see the game’’ and that venue choice needed to made better.

How Toddy, how? For the record, most young fans have parents who work, and it's simply not feasible for them to get home, get the kids, and get to the grounds, for a 6pm kick off.

It's all about TV. Pubs would love the 6pm game cause of after work drinks. People like it cause you watch when having dinner. People don't go cause it's a terrible time.

Stallion

First Grade
The placement of a Friday 6pm game is valid. Newcastle's biggest crowd of the season happened to be at 6pm Friday evening. I still dont like any weekday timeslot meaning Monday through to and including Thursday as it detracts from the build up to our much loved weekends football. I will concede that Thursday is much better than Mondays. The grandfinal should be on at 5pm giving little kids the opportunity to become familiar with our great game. Overall more fan, player and family friendly. And from last seasons tv ratings more tv friendly if you compare the daytime figures of another codes grandfinal to the nightime slot of the NRLs.

Raiderdave

First Grade
well we all knew we'd be stuck with Thursdays next season , Im not sure why we thought they weren't coming back

however as Ive said several times now , the NRL has an opportunity to put big pressure on Ch 9 & foxtel to get rid of both these ludicrous time slots by ensuring in the 65 premium games they choose for ch 9 , that their interpretation of premium & ch 9's are ... hmmm.. .. quite different !!

this straight up sends a strong message
We're in control here ... not you !!
same to foxtel & the 6pm games .... the 8th ranked game you'll get

both broadcasters will only get better content when they move to a weekend time slot for these games
grow the attendance culture in the NRL with us , or get crap games
end of

But remember, the spindependent commission meant the sport was no longer dictated by media companies.

Remember that? Where's the circle now?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
6pm time slot is good for young families lol, yeah good one you slimy weasel.

Just when you thought the Administration of TGG couldn't be anymore pathetic.

taipan

Referee
Bad enough Thursday night, will reluctantly accept that till the next Tv deal .

As McEnroe stated"you can;t be f....in serious?" 6pm Friday is Greenberg kidding " for families".With the father working, both parents working, or mum working. The TV ratings then would be hardly worth the effort, people if they are at home tend to have dinner 6-7pm,
The only advantage of 6pm Friday games , it is time friendly for dole bludgers,Swedish backpackers who have zero idea about the code,and a flock of seagulls looking fro scraps around and in the stadium.And sales reps on the afternoon hit and miss with their clients(oops must stop mentioning my past).

This is Sydney with it's ballsed up transport infrastructure, not Byron Bay where you can cross town in a jiffy.

I've given Greenberg a passmark to date, til a dopey stament like that.That is one of the most completely out of touch comments ,ever foisted on rl fans,I have witnessed.And boy have we heard and read some clangers in the past.

News stuffed rl with SL,nwo whether intended or not they are doing likewise with a 6pm time slot .Ch9 the so called rl station is doing likewise with the Thursday night one.

Spot On

Coach
As long as the NRL can schedule the 'testimonial' game for Cameron and Jonathan on a day and time they can maximise the crowd then the season proper schedule doesn't matter a f**k.

The effort to make that trial game a huge success will outstrip any effort to maximise crowd participation during the home and away season.

Too hard people. Just too hard for the NRL admin to turn around now.