What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Johnstone

Belta

Juniors
He looks very impressive. Kinda reminds me of Rapana, really tries hard to break tackles, very fast, seems to position himself well, seems to know his way to the try line and adept at scoring from cross field kicks.

But IMO there's no gaurantee with this purchase. I get its the top SL club, and the poms nearly done us but it doesn't convince me that Tom would score the same kinda try's or be as effective in the NRL? For some one like myself who watches little to no SL games I find it hard to compare. To me the defense in those clips looks like park footy defense, I just can't judge

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The interesting thing with ACLs is that some athletes come back faster because they have to re hab so hard that they strengthen up way better then prior to the rupture

The acl surgery taking a graft from the hammy ala last 8 to 10yrs is so much more advanced then the old patella tendon graft which f**ked a lot of people’s patellar but made their acl better

It’s more a trust thing with the lateral movement as I did my ACL just under 6months ago

I’m snowboarding already in japan right now

Old Timer

Coach
He looks very impressive. Kinda reminds me of Rapana, really tries hard to break tackles, very fast, seems to position himself well, seems to know his way to the try line and adept at scoring from cross field kicks.

But IMO there's no gaurantee with this purchase. I get its the top SL club, and the poms nearly done us but it doesn't convince me that Tom would score the same kinda try's or be as effective in the NRL? For some one like myself who watches little to no SL games I find it hard to compare. To me the defense in those clips looks like park footy defense, I just can't judge
I think you judge just fine so keep it up
Defence at times in ESL is non existent thus old players last a long time

Belta

Juniors
OT said; "...Defense at times in ESL is nonexistent..."

That point can't be argued. Regardless of the quality of the footage or my ignorance of ESL some of the defence in those highlights can only be described as woefull.

Actually it reminded me of how our outside backs defended last year. (Sorry I had to slip that in)

I hate to be that rumour guy... But apparently Tom Johnstone has been approached by an NRL club. Only reason i'm opening up this thread is because Millward has publicly stated we are on the hunt for an outside back, and there's no shortage of pommy connections in our side.
No word on whether that club is the Dragons, but I bloody hope it is. The kid is a speed demon and he has plenty of size.

Happy for this thread to be de-bunked after a few days, but I thought it might be a nice little discussion topic, whether he ends up in the NRL or not. Always love chatting about young talent.

Here are some highlights, he is clearly the best winger in the Super League by far and away -
Wow! What an excitement machine!
Not only is he a genuine speedster, he looks a damn good footballer as well.
I really like the way he breaks tackles with consummate ease.
Picks passes up off his toes, seems very good in the air.
He links beautifully!
What the clip doesn't show is whether he can defend.
But if Wakefield let this guy go, they have rocks in their head.
If he does come to St. George - Aiken, McDonald (most likely) and Nightingale are in trouble.
Very interesting post.

blacksafake

First Grade
But where do we play Nighty:D

Seriously though he is certainly has speed but as most have said can he actually tackle & is he durable enough to handles NRL.Don't forget wingers these days spend more time taking hit ups than backline moves.

denis preston

First Grade
Again depends on what he will cost, what is he like defensively , does he want to come ? Worth a go at the right price.
Geez his running and fends remind me of Eric Growth snr.

hazzbeen

Bench
Again depends on what he will cost, what is he like defensively , does he want to come ? Worth a go at the right price.
Geez his running and fends remind me of Eric Growth snr.
Mate I'd chance him , if he let's in a try here and there we do it now , but can score tries from any part of the field , long range tries can turn a game . This has been lacking since Morris left . As a smart man once said on this forum we need Speed and more speed ......

Belta

Juniors
hazzbeen said; "...long range tries can turn a game...been missing since Morris left..."

Good point. There's some ups. He does also seem strong and runs and plays full throttle. Will he comes to a NRL club? to who? and how he'd go?
Interesting

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Tom was injured otherwise we would have seen him in the World Cup. He runs upright like Martin Offiah, runs through tackles like Dufty and has a swerve like Mark Gasnier.
He makes most of our backs look pedestrian.
Dufty
Field
Lomax
Mann/Aitken
Johnstone
Widdop
Hunt
There could be hope!
It was so great to see Brennan,
Offiah, Steve Morris, Walford, Blacklock and Brett Morris score exciting length of the field tries.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Tom was injured otherwise we would have seen him in the World Cup. He runs upright like Martin Offiah, runs through tackles like Dufty and has a swerve like Mark Gasnier.
Dufty
Field
Lomax
Mann/Aitken
Johnstone
Widdop
Hunt
There could be hope!
Offiah, Steve Morris, Walford, Blacklock and Brett Morris score exciting length of the field tries.

I love the enthusiasm, but there is no way that Field should, or will ever be on the wing for the Dragons. Just because he has a lot of speed, does not immediately make him a winger. It's like saying let's throw Anthony Milford on the wing because he's quick.
Field would get slaughtered out there defensively on the wing.
If we do manage to nab Johnstone it should be:
1. Dufty
2. Macdonald/Lomax
3. Aitken/Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Johnstone

Lafai's offloads would make Johnstone salivate.

Dufty
Field
Lomax
Mann/Aitken
Johnstone
Widdop
Hunt
There could be hope!
My favourite to watch from all those was Blacklock - loved his try celebrations as well.

Bench
Lurker is reporting we are interested in him. I know it’s the lurker but you never know.
If we did sign him I would expect him to start in the lower grade to get match fitness.
No idea of his defensive capability is.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Johnstone would be handy if he can make the same impact here in the NRL that he's made in the SL. If Macdonald can hit his straps this year and do what I know he can do, coupled with the eventual advent of Zac Lomax... Our backline is suddenly looking pretty strong with no lack of speed and skill.

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Johnstone

I'd take that for now.