What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team week 2 V Parra

franklin2323

Immortal
NSW Cup looked great in patches but you could tell was only their 1st run of the year. NYC just need time together so young.

All 3 sides should of been blown off the park by halftime given lack of ball. So defence across the club is very strong

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Dylan Edwards had a nice cameo at the end.He had the composure of a Matt Moylan, just with more pace.

Perenara was awful.

franklin2323

Immortal
How do you get sin binned in a trial. Too many penalties for useless shit too. It's trial let them play footy

mxlegend99

Referee
You are slagging Hiku off when we conceded 6 points in a trial. Think about it for a second.

Even I'm letting Wallace have this one.
Im not slagging him. Im saying he must have improved in defence if we only conceded one try all game.

Either he improved or is a better winger than centre.

Kilkenny

Coach
McKendry had worked so hard in rehab and was pumped for his return. He will be devastated and its going to be a long road back, mental as much as physical. Such a shame.

It's a massive blow for Sam but I reckon he might not have even made our first grade side so his loss shouldn't be hard to cover.

betcats

Referee
Highlights are up on panthers, TMM has been fairly impressive through the trials. Leota looks good from the glimpses I've seen the last two weeks, really put some muscle on. Hiku and Whare on the wing will be ok until the others are fit. Having Whare out there to help Blake should be big for him the long run, if he can pick up some of Whares ability to read the attack then he could be a beast defensively.

I am stoked we have made Peach a centre, he is going to kill it there.

Devilous

Juniors
Ok a few views from the game.

Blake or Whare at Centre will work either way. I felt they were both fantastic playing there, who plays wing? I have no idea, I don't like the idea of either of them playing there (Blake was awful the last time he was there) but the coach must have an idea in mind because they switched over about 3/4 times in the game.

Hiku at wing will be ok, not the greatest winger but I think he will improve, almost gave up a try by trying to shield the ball instead of just picking it up. (The Parra guy went dead when he tried to ground it). Peachy is a machine at left centre, played 80 minutes and was dangerous the whole game.

Martin will be the bullet hole runner we lack (Moylan not being fast enough), put him in a hole and have a back up runner and he will set up a lot of long distance line breaks and tries.

Our bench props Akauola and Leota were brutal in attack and defence, really adds value having them going nuts off the bench.

Our defence overall was fantastic which is what gets you into the top eight and gets you wins in the finals, I'm glad we have worked hard on defence because it's what the premiership winning sides need to do week in and week out and over the years Penrith have been very soft when under the pump for more than 1 set.

Attack was a bit rusty but once we start getting some more offloads and then quick play the balls (Parra gave up a penalty on almost every single line break we made to slow up the play) we will be a dangerous side all year. Set defensive lines we struggle with a bit but most sides do, Parra were very good defensively but I feel we would eventually get over them and almost did 3/4 times.

The only concern I had (Minus the injury to Sam, very disappointed for him, and Akauola) is the defensive partnership between Martin and Cartwright, it was the only weak spot that was exposed last night and I don't think it will go unnoticed by the other coaches, a lot of traffic will be heading their way all year so they better muscle up.

Other than that it looks like we are ready to hit the ground running for a shot at the top 4!

Ok a few views from the game.

Blake or Whare at Centre will work either way. I felt they were both fantastic playing there, who plays wing? I have no idea, I don't like the idea of either of them playing there (Blake was awful the last time he was there) but the coach must have an idea in mind because they switched over about 3/4 times in the game.

Hiku at wing will be ok, not the greatest winger but I think he will improve, almost gave up a try by trying to shield the ball instead of just picking it up. (The Parra guy went dead when he tried to ground it). Peachy is a machine at left centre, played 80 minutes and was dangerous the whole game.

Martin will be the bullet hole runner we lack (Moylan not being fast enough), put him in a hole and have a back up runner and he will set up a lot of long distance line breaks and tries.

Our bench props Akauola and Leota were brutal in attack and defence, really adds value having them going nuts off the bench.

Our defence overall was fantastic which is what gets you into the top eight and gets you wins in the finals, I'm glad we have worked hard on defence because it's what the premiership winning sides need to do week in and week out and over the years Penrith have been very soft when under the pump for more than 1 set.

Attack was a bit rusty but once we start getting some more offloads and then quick play the balls (Parra gave up a penalty on almost every single line break we made to slow up the play) we will be a dangerous side all year. Set defensive lines we struggle with a bit but most sides do, Parra were very good defensively but I feel we would eventually get over them and almost did 3/4 times.

The only concern I had (Minus the injury to Sam, very disappointed for him, and Akauola) is the defensive partnership between Martin and Cartwright, it was the only weak spot that was exposed last night and I don't think it will go unnoticed by the other coaches, a lot of traffic will be heading their way all year so they better muscle up.

Other than that it looks like we are ready to hit the ground running for a shot at the top 4!

NRL.com said that Blake was hampered by a minor injury and hence reverted to wing to run it off so that probably explains it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't bullshit...Both teams took off players AFTER those tries were scored.

Penrith scored their last try in the 70th minute. Both teams replaced players on the 76th minute.
If you look at the highlights you'll see that's not true: http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2017/02/19/match_highlights_pan.html

For the last two tries Parra have no jersey numbers lower than 18, whereas right at the end Penrith still had Moylan, Whare, Blake, TMM, Cleary, Cartwright, etc.

tripster

Juniors
Does anyone else think this is the best we have been looking coming into the start of a season in a long time?

We made the finals of the Auckland 9s - on the back of good attack but most importantly excellent defence.

I have only seen the highlights from the trials, but in both again our defence has looked superb.

Add to that the incredible depth the club now has, and we can cover injuries (even losing Sam before the start of the season isn't a huge issue).

I am excited!