What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warner out of New Zealand ODI series

Tommy Smith

Referee
I read a foxsports article recently which stated that Warner may finish his career as the greatest opener of all-time.

He's the greatest flat truck bully since Hayden that's about it.

Tubby & Langer 1
Hayden & Warner 0

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We have many players that have averaged mid thirties outside Australia, not really a stretch
Like Kane? The best kiwi batsmanin decades who averages in the 30s against SA, Pakistan, India, England and the west indies?

JJ

Immortal
I read a foxsports article recently which stated that Warner may finish his career as the greatest opener of all-time.

Tubby & Langer 1
Hayden & Warner 0
Was the article written in crayon?

Bazal

Post Whore
Don't like facts?

Lol gold

A lot goes over your head, hey?

Or have you forgotten your response to similar stats regarding Bradmanson and his record against quality Test nations....?

Bazal

Post Whore

Tubby & Langer 1
Hayden & Warner 0

Foxsports has really gone downhill...which is quite an achievement, when you think about it

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not an opener, but has scored tons in all those places
Yet still averages in the thirties. Demonstrates to me that Kane struggles regularly and occasionally fires.

Now, how about that nz opener that is better than Warner.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Tubby & Langer 1
Hayden & Warner 0

Langer batted with Hayden most of his career, wait for it on..... the same decks

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Warner will be nowhere near the best opener of all time when he's done.

I think he will be able to make an argument for best Australian opener, but not the greatest of all time.

Like Kane? The best kiwi batsmanin decades who averages in the 30s against SA, Pakistan, India, England and the west indies?

Yes he really needs to work on getting that average of 51.75 against the Windies out of the 30's.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Better than Warner ?

Were any of them ever rated in the top 5 world rankings ?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If being better than a NZ opener is the qualifier for a batsmen to claim he's the greatest of all time then there's a hell of a long list of candidates.

Bazal

Post Whore
Warner will be nowhere near the best opener of all time when he's done.

I think he will be able to make an argument for best Australian opener, but not the greatest of all time.

I would say possibly the greatest situational opener of all time, sure. If that's a thing. It's more than likely not.

But otherwise he's just a better version of Michael Slater, a cavalier who often struggles to do the tough stuff. Which is disappointing, really, given he actually started his test career really, really well.

JJ

Immortal
Trevor Franklin
Blair Hartland
Blair Pocock
David White
Chris Nevin
Llorne Howell
Robert Vance
Craig Spearman
Craig Cumming

They're just off the top of my head TBH
I was going to say Dempster, Sutcliffe, Turner and perhaps even Richardson or Wright given they could bat once they used their passports, but think you nailed it

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I would say possibly the greatest situational opener of all time, sure. If that's a thing. It's more than likely not.

But otherwise he's just a better version of Michael Slater, a cavalier who often struggles to do the tough stuff. Which is disappointing, really, given he actually started his test career really, really well.

His style suits Australian conditions, that's no up for debate IMO, but he has shown such as the test against NZ in Hobart that he can tough it out if need be. Too often he just throws it away.

Sehwag is probably his closest world wide comparison, and Sehwag had similar issues in regards to batting in certain away conditions. Averaged under 30 in England, South Africa and NZ.

Sometime certain styles don't suit different oppositions/conditions. Just the way it goes, and it's part of what makes the game fun (test cricket especially).

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He copped a bit of stick when he was out of form in test cricket earlier this summer. He said everyone knows how I bat, see ball hit ball.

It was probabaly the most disappointing and unintelligent thing I've ever heard him say. In other words that's how I bat and I'm not going to make any effort to dig in when the occasion dictates and make myself a better all round cricketer.

If I was Smith I would have dragged him aside and asked him, why dont you ever ant to be the best test cricket you can be, show some intelligence and learn how to adapt to certain conditions. At least make an effort.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's a catch 22 in some ways. McCullum, Gayle and Sehwag are the same. it's their lack of fear and carefree attitude that make them so dangerous but it can also leave fans frustrated when that same attitude remains when they're failing to score runs.