What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Reds/Perth

Patorick

Staff member
westernredsalternate.png

Sorry, only pic I could find of it.

Last edited:

Coleworld

Juniors
Kills me to think what could of been for the Western Reds franchise. I cannot wait to see them be re-admitted as the West Coast Butt Pirates.

Please hurry and do this NRL FFS.

It's amazing when you consider Lockyer who retired couple seasons ago now played against teams like Magpies, Balmain, Norths, Perth, Adelaide, Illawarra, Hunter, Chargers and Crushers. Puts his career longevity into perspective. Off topic but still..

Perth Red

Post Whore
There was a fair smattering of old Reds jerseys and caps in the crowd on Sunday, must have dug into the loft for them!

Flapper

First Grade
did they ever release the Reds jerseys as a Retro line? If they ever do again I'll get one, I got a Jim Beam Cup Reds jersey and a Pirates one so it's only appropriate.

Flapper

First Grade
they'd be mad not to, but in saying that the jersey design has a distinct retro feel to it, it'd look and feel weird in modern fabric in my opinion.

kdalymc

Bench
Mmm doubt it.
It's a different franchise isn't it?
Same as titans have nothing to do with the past Gold Coast teams?
Although they did do that retro strip.... Hmmm but why wasn't it giants then?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Both clubs started by the warl so link is there and there are many old reds fans who will follow the Pirates and be nostalgic for the reds. You could see that by the meltdown some had when they decided to change the wa reds bid to the WC pirates.

LJC

Juniors
Should never ever have been kicked out of the competition. The worst decision in the history of the game.

Could you imagine how strong the Reds would be today.

Superleague did that!

I still believe that SL was devised and conspired by a sport such as RU to divide our game but that is a discussion for another day.

However, the benefit is that the new WA franchise has a better name and will be accepted more easily because of this marketing advantage.

West Coast Pirates is a winner for the fans and especially the kids!

If the Reds were kept on to modern day they be one of the stronger teams in the competition with a mix of local and import talent. Considering, WA is the 3rd strongest RL state in Australia it would of had it's fair share of juniors if given the chance to develop properly and not have it's tenure cut short and as result stunted growth there for a while.

Perth Red, how strong was the local comp in the 90's and how far off would you think the Reds would have local talent in there team if they survived the SL war hypothetically?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Reds were kept on to modern day they be one of the stronger teams in the competition with a mix of local and import talent. Considering, WA is the 3rd strongest RL state in Australia it would of had it's fair share of juniors if given the chance to develop properly and not have it's tenure cut short and as result stunted growth there for a while.

Perth Red, how strong was the local comp in the 90's and how far off would you think the Reds would have local talent in there team if they survived the SL war hypothetically?

It was going great guns in the late 80's and 90's. I wasn't around then but I've heard from some of the warl old timers that they would have budgets of $2-300k get couple of thousand to games,warl gf drew 10k and were signing nswrl players. In some ways the reds actually damaged that in a similar way to the broncos have the brl. In the longer term in would have been advantageous to the warl clubs but as the short term damage was done then the loss of the reds and the game basically nearly dieing overnight we still feel the effects.

In terms of jnr development. Well we have had around 5 or 6 wa Jnr's make it to NRL first grade despite the dire state of the warl in the late 90's and erly 2000's so I have no doubts we would have been producing plenty of home grown talent for the Reds.

The good news is the game is back on its feet and with some good planning, money and a team will be stronger than it has ever been here within 5 years IMO.

DC_fan

Coach
They were my second favourite team behind the mighty South Sydney. A real shame they were kicked out of the comp.