Western Reds/Perth

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Red&BlackBear, Jul 9, 2013.

1. axl rose

axl rose Juniors

The Mavericks? hmm one of your best Reebs, there was an obsession with basketball team names back when the NBA was popular in the mid 90's. 20/20 cricket still seems to think there is.

2. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

That was sarcasm

3. Canard

Canard Coach

I'm sure these were just made up names in RLW and nothing more.

4. Diesel

Diesel First Grade

Perhaps but the Pumas name was one that was a goer.

I'm not sure about other teams but the Warriors had a few names thrown around, such as Bittermen and Vulcans but made the right choice going with the Warriors.

Not sure about any other concept names but would be interested to know of any

5. beave

beave Coach

Sadly no mate, daily telegraph. Not that it holds much weight but they are a news limited rag after all so you would have to think they were worded up somewhat.

6. King hit

King hit Juniors

Bump

I was on holiday in Perth last year and whilst I was there I went to the WACA to watch one of the ODI's against India. There is a museum at the WACA and there is an exhibit about the Reds first game. Such a shame that Super League killed them. There was lot of interest in them, whilst WA is an AFL state there is a lot of interest in other sports as well which is proven as there is always a good crowd at the NRL games in Perth these days and the Reds had strong support in there first season. They really could've built on it but unfortunately Super League ended that, hope Perth will get admitted in sooner than later. An NRL team there has the potential to be successful.

I actually bought a Western Reds jersey of Ebay recently it's to big for me but I love it.

Reds.jpg

Emu01 and toomuchsoup like this.
  7. LeagueXIII

LeagueXIII Bench

They wouldn't have been if Super League didn't hit.

8. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Went to a wa reds game in Jim beam cup a few years back and the warl had found two big boxes of western reds gear inc player jerseys and were flogging them for $20 each. Bought one but later saw them selling on eBay for up to $200! Should have bought the box lol

Emu01 likes this.
  9. Nuke

Nuke Moderator Staff Member

Those were the Reds SuperLeague jerseys. I remember seeing that too, but my disgust and hatred of SuperLeague, while a non-issue these days, flared up at the sight of them and I refused to get one. I think they were the genuine players jerseys too, from memory?

10. taipan

taipan Coach

You should have done that ,and with the profits funded the 17th NRL Perth team.It's a no brainer.

The Mad Hatter likes this.
  11. Vee

Vee Juniors

One of the worst outcomes of the SL war was the demise of the Reds

DC_fan likes this.
  12. dogz08

dogz08 First Grade

13. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Yeh they were heavy player ones. Really hard to find the SL jersey.

14. Nuke

Nuke Moderator Staff Member

They were the SL ones. Well, at least they were when I saw them ... before walking away!

15. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter First Grade

What's ironic was it was Arko and Quayle and the Sydney centric NSWRL that admitted Perth to the premier RL competition with open arms.

They were thanked by Perth by them jumping over to a rebel comp a month in to their existence. The irony of that was it was a comp with a national footprint and a global vision and yet these innovators had the vision to cut Perth when they were done with them. Can't blame Sydney centric NSW RL for that master stroke.

BuffaloRules, mave and AlwaysGreen like this.
  16. taipan

taipan Coach

Only one person to blame: Perth Red

17. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Only reds game I saw was at don valley stadium against sheffiled eagles, and they lost lol. Just about the only Australian team that managed to lose a game against an England side.

The ARLC of the early 90's was just about the only time the games leadership had a realisitc vision, cut Sydney team and bring in a more national footprint. Shame news ltd fcked it up for the next 3 decades at least.

18. Diesel

Diesel First Grade

Like the Auckland Warriors, the Reds had a shit deal having to pay for flights for visiting teams which they didn't need to do in SL.

If both clubs weren't forced with such a burden they may have stayed with ARL

19. T to the T

T to the T Juniors

Perth Red, I agree that the sport needs to expand but your deathriding of Sydney based sides is tiresome and doesn't help your cause. You constantly refer to the AFL in your arguments but I don't see them culling Melbourne sides left, right and centre.

Just give the Sydney side bashing a break and more people will be on board with what your saying and your expansion viewpoint

TiggaPlease and BuffaloRules like this.
  20. taipan

taipan Coach

That is correct, but the ARL (not then a commission BTW.)also had $25m+ in the Bank prior to the SL war.Proceeds in the main from Winfield (the cigarette company) who sponsored the code for long time..Befire tobacco advtg was banned, and of course Tv monies.
    That money (working on values doubling every 10 years) would be now worth at least $100m in the kitty.
    Thus $25m in 1994 was big bikkies.Tina Turner time also.

Imagine the NRL having $100m in the bank now, geez even Adelaide may have a team.

Guess where all that money ended up? In the pockets of ravenous players including influential people like Gould.Because News was paying huge sums to players including non first graders to secure players.

Understand Sheffield Eagles have been moving around like nomads,as Don Valley no more for them.Is Don is bad.