What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Wests Tigers are most vulnerable"

taipan

Referee
Any media organisation involved in a Super league debacle ,employing headline seeking journalists suggesting clubs move here or there as being somehow qualified to do so, is equivalent to asking Kim Jon Un, to offer up suggestions about how democracy works.

The mind boggles.

I'd imagine Slothfield sitting back in his study ,sucking his 6th tinny in the space of 1 hour, lying on his stained bean bag, thinking what headline grab can I throw up(and i'm used to throwing up) tomorrow .
I know the Tigers are down the a*se end of the ladder, they had a crap crowd on a freeze your lollies off night,I'll recommend them for relocation.

But wait.We need to have a survey as to who should get punted.Our surveys are always 100% reliable, despite the fact Joe Blow can click as many times as he wants.

You see I was right Kenty on NRL 360: X% want the West Tigers relocated ,XX % want the Sharks.

QED My journalistic credentials have been proven.Now to get the ARLC to take my unqualified advice on board,that's after of course I've flicked Grant and anyone else on the admin who doesn't take my fancy.

gallagher

Juniors
How do Tigers fans feel about their local identity/what area they represent?
Are most happy being split between the inner west and the south west or should the club focus it's resources more on one?

As an outsider I'd give Leichhardt the flick for all except 1 game a year, play 8 at C-town, and the top 3 draws at new-Parra.
Its time to stop playing games here there and everywhere. We need one home ground, either the new Parra or updated ANZ. The current set up is ridiculous.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Cutting one team to bring in a number isn't growing the game.

It's been said before in this thread that, but the notion that if you cut one sydney team all the fans would suddenly become fans of other teams is pure nonsense. We are likely to lose those fans for ever.

Wests tigers are currently struggling. But like any club, string together a few wins and suddenly their support swells.
Currently they have around 15k supporters. They averaged around 15k to a game last year. They have around 261k followers on Facebook. They bring in at least over 100k viewer's to their fta tv appearances. If they get on a roll they get 20k crowds.

So lets cut all that for perth.

First thing to consider is Perth is afl mad. Even more so then melbourne. No sport will overcome afl in Perth. The best they can do is find their niche.

If ( and its a huge if) perth were succesful you could possibly have 15k crowd averages, 15k membership, 261k followers would probably be unrealistic as would an extra 100k tv viewers. If they become a dominant team maybe. But if they become mid table runners then definitely no.

So even if perth was extremely successful they'd only just be able to claw back the number of fans lost from cutting tigers. And that's a big if. How that is growing the game i don't know.

adamkungl

Immortal
I reckon Perth is an easier sell than Melbourne and Melbourne currently average around 15k (excluding their Suncorp game)

adamkungl

Immortal
Gold Coast should have been an easier sell then melbourne to though

I imagine a Gold Coast team that finished top 4 every year might average higher than the Storm.
Maybe they should throw their entire chequebook at Bellamy

BuffaloRules

Coach
First thing to consider is Perth is afl mad. Even more so then melbourne. No sport will overcome afl in Perth. The best they can do is find their niche.

If ( and its a huge if) perth were succesful you could possibly have 15k crowd averages, 15k membership, 261k followers would probably be unrealistic as would an extra 100k tv viewers. If they become a dominant team maybe. But if they become mid table runners then definitely no.

So even if perth was extremely successful they'd only just be able to claw back the number of fans lost from cutting tigers. And that's a big if. How that is growing the game i don't know.

Also, the Perth media is extremely hostile to RL... the worst market in Aust in my view towards RL...

They don't report the results over there and I've heard that people that want to talk about RL on talkback sports radio shows get told to sod off...

Swapping the Tigers for them would be ludicrous..

King hit

Coach
If it wasn't for Super League Perth could've turned out very well. They have a good RL ground, a junior base and the time difference would work for TV viewing. The Reds had a lot of public support in their first season but Murdoch destroyed it.

Reactions: siv

adamkungl

Immortal
They don't report the results over there and I've heard that people that want to talk about RL on talkback sports radio shows get told to sod off...

Probably because there's no NRL team within 2500km so wtf are they gonna talk about/why would anyone care

Clifferd

Coach
As much as I love nrl, if they rid my team (the tigers) I would never watch it again apart from maybe the odd game or two.

For the NRL to boot out a team where hard working, paying customers invest their money and time into is just basically a big f**k you to them.

Just no

The Great Dane

First Grade
He wouldn't understand cos his club was so quick to jump ship.

Any club that had an S on the front of their jersey got looked after while the clubs that were loyal to ARL were made to fight for inclusion in a competition they were already in.

That's simply not true.

Apart from the Broncos and the Storm News threw all the other clubs out to fend for themselves after they decided to merge the SL with the ARL to create the NRL.
The Warriors, Panthers and the Sharks came within a bees dick of being cut and would have been if it wasn't for the head start that they got financially from joining SL or in the Warriors case a rich benefactor starting a new club, buying the Warriors name, apply to join the NRL, and throwing money at them at the last second.

I'd also like to point out that the Reds, Rams and Mariners all had an S on their jerseys, none of them got looked after.

If a brand new club enters the comp while mine was forced into a joint venture then it is not false that my club was sacrificed to bring in the Storm.

It is false because the Dragons and the Steelers being merged had nothing to do with making space for the Storm, that space had already been made with the sacrifice of the Rams, Mariners, and to a lesser extent the Reds as well.

The merger of the Dragons and the Steelers was an exercise in allowing the Dragons to swallow the Steelers whole so that they could meet the criteria and justify their existence in the new competition, the only people wronged in that merger were the Steelers because they were effectively murdered so the Dragons could continue and all in the name of tradition and history.

If it happened to your club you might be a bit more understanding of my point of view.

And maybe you would understand my point of view better if your club had been killed outright instead of being allowed to enter into a convoluted and frankly stupid arrangement that is a merger, and particularly the Dragons-Steelers merger.

Sure it's disappointing for you that your club in the case of the Dragons they had to murder another club and pretend to give a f##k about the club that you murdered so that you could survive, but at least you still have a club running around even if it is a distorted mess of a merger, the same cannot be said by the Chargers, Crushers, Rams, or Reds fans can it!

So when you really get down to it if you had to choose between merger and death (which I agree was a stupid choice, but it was effectively what was offered at the time) which would you prefer? Because I'm sure there're a few people around in Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide that'd be happy to take the Dragons spot in the competition from them if you'd prefer to change your mind.

The whole thing was terribly done and the wounds still haven't healed and this thread has just opened them up again.

I don't disagree with that the 'peace deals' were stupidly implemented and rushed, I've already talked about how I would have done it differently.

Where we disagree is your suggestion that Sydney clubs were some how hard done by when every concession possible was made to make sure that as many of them as possible survived at the expense of clubs outside of Sydney.

If my club folded rugby league can go and get f**ked.It was bad enough when we had to form a join venture to stay in a competition that we had been in since 1921.

What exactly gives the Dragons a divine right to be in the NRL/ARL/NSWRL but doesn't give other clubs such as the Crushers that divine right?

Is it the fact that they were allowed into the competition first? Because if that were true then shouldn't Glebes' or Annandales' spots in the competition be even more sacrosanct then the Dragons?
I think that we can both agree that Glebe and Annandale being dropped so that the sport could be given the opportunity to grow in St. George and Canterbury was a good thing?

But now that we need a few more club to be dropped so that the sport can be allowed to grow in other places (a need we've had since at least the 80's I might add), and logically those clubs should come from Sydney, nobody wants to stand up and be counted anymore.

Most of the clubs were broke because News Ltd wanted them to die and almost got their way.

Apart from in the cases of the Rabbitohs, Crushers, and arguably Manly, Wests, Balmain, and a few of the other older Sydney clubs, that's not really true, but I don't really want to get into that right now.

Why do you think the Mariners were put where they were? News Ltd knew it was ARL heartland and wanted to suffocate the Knights.

I know the reason why the Mariners were put in Newcastle, it's because when News set out to take over RL in this country Newcastle was recognised as a key market that they had to takeover, and despite their best efforts to attract the Knights over to SL whom were offered some of the best deals of any team to join SL by the time that things fell through, they couldn't convince them to jump ship, so in a desperate attempt to maintain a presence in Newcastle and hopefully take over the market eventually they created the Mariners.

When SL was started the Mariners were never intended to be introduced and the Rams were intended to be an expansion club that joined along with the Storm in 98 or 99, it was always intended that in a perfect world the Knights and Bears would join SL, obviously that didn't happen, however if it had then I reckon we'd be talking about SL right now and not the NRL.

There're rumours that News was so certain of the Knights joining that they had jerseys and other gear made for them to use and that that gear was given to the Rams to use when they were fast tracked to enter SL in 97, don't know if that's true though.

RL in Australia will always be Sydneycentric whether anyone likes it on not because it's where it started and where it grew. It's just a shame some can't just grow the game like it should because of greed.

It doesn't have to be Sydney-centric though! With a few relatively small changes that could be changed and potentially that could be changed without anybody having to be merged, relocated, or having to close their doors.

And frankly who is being greedy, the people that want to spread the game to as many people as possible or the people that want to keep it all to themselves in Sydney!
We can't continuously expand the competition forever, changes are going to have to be made to the structure and make up of the competition every now and again unless we want it to grow to big and collapse in on it's self, and at the moment the most sensible option for the NRL is to reduce the number of clubs in Sydney.

Let's cut the tWest Tigers and end the history of two proud and very old clubs who shouldn't have merged anyway because of the greed of a corporation. f**k the fans, the members and the people who work for the club and would probably bleed for it too because some f**king wanker thinks there's too many clubs in Sydney,

Get f**ked.

Who says that we have end the history of the Tigers?
I'm certainly not saying that, frankly I don't have all the information necessary to make a decision on which clubs should be dropped and which shouldn't, and even if I was the one making the decision I'd make sure that none of them were killed off, merged, or relocated, simply dropped into the second tier.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Nah... One third the population and absolutly loathe RL
This is just completely inaccurate; for the 8th year in a row the WA State reps side has won the Affiliated States Championship, absolutely crushing the Vic, SA and NT sides. People in Perth don't "loathe RL" we had a fantastic club system for years until the Super League ended up destroying our pro team which in turn led to clubs folding due to waning interest. Since then Perth has completely rebuilt the league competition, with a tiered senior men's competition. In addition to that the attendance for the annual Souths and Manly games have been strong + the sell out for the Kangaroos/Kiwis clash that set a new record at nib Stadium.

Perth media doesn't treat the NRL all that well because 7 West dominates out media landscape and 7 West owns the broadcast rights to the AFL, they'd basically be throwing up a free advertisement for Channel 9 and Foxtel every time they mentioned it.

It's also worth mentioning that Perth doesn't have the League/Union divide that you have in the East Coast; most fans of any Rugby code in Perth typically support both codes because they're unified in their distaste for the AFL and if you need proof of that compare the support for the Reds in their early days + visiting NRL teams to that of the support for Methbourne even with a side that has dominated for years and are consistently making the finals Melbourne can't get half a stadium full. Seriously, Perth's Union team has better average attendance than Melbourne's League team and one of those teams has never won a damn thing.

For the record, it's worth pointing out that Rothfield isn't arguing in favour of dropping the Tigers for Perth, he's in favour of dropping the Tigers for the Brisbane Bombers.

adamkungl

Immortal
The EPL seems to get reported over there though..

How many Kms away is that?

Not really comparing apples and apples though are you.

Maybe the NRL could have international significance if it worked towards it, but it deliberately chooses to avoid even national significance.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Perth media doesn't treat the NRL all that well because 7 West dominates out media landscape and 7 West owns the broadcast rights to the AFL, they'd basically be throwing up a free advertisement for Channel 9 and Foxtel every time they mentioned it.

Its not just 7 but all the Perth TV channels ( and radio) and the ABC (one of the worst offenders) in particular really irks me because they shouldn't be biased against any particular sport...

I have travelled to Perth many times as have family over there... I find the locals attitude to anything mostly connected with the "Eastern States" to be far from complimentary however the ones I have talked to seem to make quite a point of going out of their way to tell me how much they don't like Rugby League...

Maybe its just the ones I have met....

Last edited: