What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Wests Tigers are most vulnerable"

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not really comparing apples and apples though are you.

Maybe the NRL could have international significance if it worked towards it, but it deliberately chooses to avoid even national significance.

Its the second biggest football code in the country and its very much under reported over there in my perception...

Im old enough to remember pre Swans Sydney, and there was plenty of reporting of the VFL in the Sydney media at that time...and there didn't appear to be a media conspiracy never to mention the game...

gallagher

Juniors
There certainly is an AFL bias here that doesn't help clubs like the force and the glory.
But the NRL wouldn't be trying to turn non league fans into league fans. There is already s big NRL fanbase here.

adamkungl

Immortal
Its the second biggest football code in the country and its very much under reported over there in my perception...

May as well be in a different country. Would be the same in Melbourne if we didn't plonk a team there.
Soccer isn't a fair comparison, you're talking the biggest league in the biggest sport on earth. Soccer is bigger than Australia, Rugby League isn't. For what it's worth also, they actually have a professional team in town which I'm sure helps.

*note, not a soccer fan

Im old enough to remember pre Swans Sydney, and there was plenty of reporting of the VFL in the Sydney media at that time...and there didn't appear to be a media conspiracy never to mention the game...

Sydney's a bigger, broader place than Perth.
Brisbane pre-Lions *might* be a more apt comparison.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There certainly is an AFL bias here that doesn't help clubs like the force and the glory.
But the NRL wouldn't be trying to turn non league fans into league fans. There is already s big NRL fanbase here.

The Glory and Soccer in general seems to get more than a fair go in the Perth media..

Not sure about the Force to be honest...

Of course there will be an AFL bias, but I think there also seems to be a prejudice against RL......

ReddFelon

Juniors
Its not just 7 but all the Perth TV channels ( and radio) and the ABC (one of the worst offenders) in particular really irks me because they shouldn't be biased against any particular sport...

I have travelled to Perth many times as have family over there... I find the locals attitude to anything mostly connected with the "Eastern States" to be far from complimentary however the ones I have talked to seem to make quite a point of going out of their way to tell me how much they don't like Rugby League...

Maybe its just the ones I have met....
It depends entirely on the region you're talking about; major Rugby League centres in Perth are Rockingham, Joondalup, Fremantle, Armadale, Ellenbrook, Kalamunda and a few others. People in those areas still follow the AFL, but the League community often blends in with the Union community. There are plenty of dumbasses in Perth who can't tell you the difference between the two codes and guaranteed I've come across a number who have responded to a conversation about Origin with "I don't like Rugby" (sic) but a lot of it has to do with the RL community being smart enough to avoid conflict. Pretty sure this Saturday's Sea Eagles/Warriors game clashes with a West Coast or Fremantle game and I know on the train we'll have drunk AFL fans trying to pick fights because it happens every year, but just because those people are loud and obnoxious doesn't mean the community isn't there, it's just something you have to actively be a part of.

Viewership from WA is increasing with a 30% increase for the this years Origin games up from last year. Same goes for Fox League getting higher rates of WA viewership.

As for the media, I've worked for both 7 and 9 in the past. The big issue with Perth media is that outside of 7, all the other broadcasters have an office in Perth, but they're operated outside of the state. So you get people who look at how the in-state broadcaster, 7, presents and they just copy it and attempt to steal viewers. 9 Perth has at least added a weekly rundown of the NRL on Sundays and Origin coverage moved from 9 GEM to 9HD this year which is a major improvement.

gallagher

Juniors
The Glory and Soccer in general seems to get more than a fair go in the Perth media..

Not sure about the Force to be honest...

Of course there will be an AFL bias, but I think there also seems to be a prejudice against RL......
I thought that 13 years ago when I moved here. NRL was totally ignored or dismissed as an irrelevant competition. Some in the media even tried saying AFL was the dominant sport in QLD and NSW.Not anymore though.
Origin is now showed live on nines main chanell and gets quite a bit of talk on all media this time of year.
Apart from that every sport gets shunned. I can't remember the last time I've heard the force or glory mentioned anywhere. Except the force possibly punted.

BuffaloRules

Coach
May as well be in a different country. Would be the same in Melbourne if we didn't plonk a team there.
Soccer isn't a fair comparison, you're talking the biggest league in the biggest sport on earth. Soccer is bigger than Australia, Rugby League isn't. For what it's worth also, they actually have a professional team in town which I'm sure helps.

*note, not a soccer fan

Sydney's a bigger, broader place than Perth.
Brisbane pre-Lions *might* be a more apt comparison.

Yeah all possibilities to be fair....

Perhaps my expectations are too high, but I would have thought RL should be getting a better deal over there... As I'm trying to say, to me its not only a matter of indifference but something a bit more contrived that RL reporting/opinion is to be "discouraged" ...

Maybe the NRL should spend some money trying to buy some "goodwill" from the Perth media... would be a better use of funds then some of the other things they are blowing their money on

BuffaloRules

Coach
As for the media, I've worked for both 7 and 9 in the past. The big issue with Perth media is that outside of 7, all the other broadcasters have an office in Perth, but they're operated outside of the state. So you get people who look at how the in-state broadcaster, 7, presents and they just copy it and attempt to steal viewers. 9 Perth has at least added a weekly rundown of the NRL on Sundays and Origin coverage moved from 9 GEM to 9HD this year which is a major improvement.

Ok mate.. I defer to your insider knowledge... Things must be on the improve then,,,

ReddFelon

Juniors
AFL coverage is also likely impacted by ex-AFL players getting jobs with the media. Matthew Pavlich gets a nightly segment on channel nine, Michael Thomson is head of sports coverage and had a career calling WAFL games before the VFL expansion. Basil Zemplas is an AFL shill and has a job at 7, Dennis Cometti is basically a likeable AFL version of Gus and he was the chief AFL commentator for something like 40 years. Credit where credit is due the AFL have done a lot of work to control WA, but there's still plenty of folks hate it.

Worth mentioning regarding other non-AFL sports teams in Perth; the Glory, Force, Wildcats and Scorchers all used to get next to nothing in terms of coverage, wasn't until the FFA, WARU, CA and NBL actually started calling them out on it that they changed their tune. Now there's weekly articles on the Force in the West Australian. Glory and in turn soccer has had a huge increase in coverage ever since they started hosting EPL teams for friendlies, Scorchers have dominated the Big Bash League for the last few years and still get average coverage. Same for the Wildcats, most dominant basketball team in Australia and most news stories about basketball are about people born in Australia who move to the US at age five playing in an NBA team and how somehow that gets spun as "A win or Australia".

Pommy

Coach
Wests Tigers need to be slaughtered and reborn South West Tigers and to play only out of Campbelltown.
It's a huge expansion area and they are not making the most out of what could be a great thing for themselves and the NRL in general.
Sorry if that has been said but we're already at 9 pages.

T-Boon

Coach
Spot on! Crazy to think some people think alienating more fans is somehow going to help the sport.

Agreed. Better off retaining the great old clubs and fixing the game on the field so it is more like it used to be pre super league when RL got very similar crowds to AFL.
Get rid of the wrestle. Go back to five metres. Get rid of some muscle/weight. Make teams earn metres by taking risks, playing some football.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Wests Tigers need to be slaughtered and reborn South West Tigers and to play only out of Campbelltown.
It's a huge expansion area and they are not making the most out of what could be a great thing for themselves and the NRL in general.
Sorry if that has been said but we're already at 9 pages.
They've been in the comp longer than the bunnies current active run. No.

OldPanther

Coach
AFL coverage is also likely impacted by ex-AFL players getting jobs with the media. Matthew Pavlich gets a nightly segment on channel nine, Michael Thomson is head of sports coverage and had a career calling WAFL games before the VFL expansion. Basil Zemplas is an AFL shill and has a job at 7, Dennis Cometti is basically a likeable AFL version of Gus and he was the chief AFL commentator for something like 40 years. Credit where credit is due the AFL have done a lot of work to control WA, but there's still plenty of folks hate it.

Worth mentioning regarding other non-AFL sports teams in Perth; the Glory, Force, Wildcats and Scorchers all used to get next to nothing in terms of coverage, wasn't until the FFA, WARU, CA and NBL actually started calling them out on it that they changed their tune. Now there's weekly articles on the Force in the West Australian. Glory and in turn soccer has had a huge increase in coverage ever since they started hosting EPL teams for friendlies, Scorchers have dominated the Big Bash League for the last few years and still get average coverage. Same for the Wildcats, most dominant basketball team in Australia and most news stories about basketball are about people born in Australia who move to the US at age five playing in an NBA team and how somehow that gets spun as "A win or Australia".

Talking about TV coverage. On the channel 7 sunrise show they had an entire segment on AFL this morning and they told people to go to a certain game this week because it'll be so very good. I've never seen an NRL equivalent. I live on the central coast NSW for context.

Pommy

Coach
They've been in the comp longer than the bunnies current active run. No.

Im not saying any teams shouldn't be looked at. The game in Sydney needs to adapt, trying to please everyone doesn't seem to be pleasing anyone.
I have no idea what the answer is to the mess but moving Tigers to Campbelltown full time just seems like a no brainer.
Teams can't continue to play out of ANZ with crowds of 12k and I include the bunnies in that before you point out how shit our crowds are.

T-Boon

Coach
Talking about TV coverage. On the channel 7 sunrise show they had an entire segment on AFL this morning and they told people to go to a certain game this week because it'll be so very good. I've never seen an NRL equivalent. I live on the central coast NSW for context.

Nine is basically run by AFL loving Melbournians.
The NRL needs to get a lot better at marketing itself. For example there is no reason why the ABC should love AFL and hate the NRL. The AFL have just buttered the ABC up while the NRL doesn't get the point of doing that sort of thing. I mean, can you believe the ABC does not even get invited to the NRL awards night.

OldPanther

Coach
Nine is basically run by AFL loving Melbournians.
The NRL needs to get a lot better at marketing itself. For example there is no reason why the ABC should love AFL and hate the NRL. The AFL have just buttered the ABC up while the NRL doesn't get the point of doing that sort of thing. I mean, can you believe the ABC does not even get invited to the NRL awards night.

That's weird. I wonder if this sort of thing effects the crowd figures. Good marketing is a huge bonus for most things.