What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Kong Skull Island - It was good when Kong was in the movie.

Unfortunately he wasn't in the movie very long so for long periods it was pretty boring.

5/10

18to87

First Grade
The Big Sick - very enjoyable, would recommend. Stars the Pakistani guy from Silicon Valley in a (mostly) true story.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
life - wasn't as bored as I expected reading the reviews on here. Could have been shortened a bit I guess but was enjoyable. Kelvin is an asshole

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Saw the planet of the apes movie with a mate today. We were going to watch despicable me but there wasn't a time that suited. It was decent but boring at times and a bit to long.

5.5 or a 6 out of 10

Had you seen the first two films in the franchise? I'm generally interested because apart from a few small things I thought it was close to a masterpiece.

beave

Coach
Dunkirk.

7.5/10.

Meh.

There was no need to jump around the story timeline like they did, a linear story arc would have sufficed. Agreed with the post about not being able to decipher what was being said in the spitfires over the radio with the accents and merlin tone in the background. The lack of dialogue was different and worked but overall I don't think it was an outstanding movieby any means.

vvvrulz

Coach
Dunkirk 8/10. Visuals and sound are just extraordinary, a totally immersive experience especially at IMAX. It's too bad Nolan didn't put much into character depth, the main thing that was missing for me.

axl rose

Bench
Dunkirk 8/10. Nolan didn't put much into character depth, the main thing that was missing for me.

I thought this was its strength, didn't follow any cliches. There's no bonfire chats telling us their boring life story. Didn't make me care any less for their survival. I didn't need to know they have a mother or a wife they would like to go home to, you can safely assume that.

Nice to have a break from American war movies with their southern farm boys whose religion conflicts with his duty as a solider.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Transformers the last knight. Story, characters and dialogue are terrible. Visuals, music score and spectacle are amazing. First 2 hours 4/10, last half hour 9/10

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Transformers the last knight. Story, characters and dialogue are terrible. Visuals, music score and spectacle are amazing. First 2 hours 4/10, last half hour 9/10
Didn't surprise reading an article with Hopkins admitting he had no clue what the story meant while shooting because of how stupid it was

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought this was its strength, didn't follow any cliches. There's no bonfire chats telling us their boring life story. Didn't make me care any less for their survival. I didn't need to know they have a mother or a wife they would like to go home to, you can safely assume that.

Nice to have a break from American war movies with their southern farm boys whose religion conflicts with his duty as a solider. Yawn.

Certainly didn't want to see cliches / ponderous flashbacks, but I still wanted to see some care put into sketching out characters while the events were taking place.

Take say, Inception for example (Cobb aside), or the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs, the jail scene in Usual Suspects etc., it doesn't take long to quickly work out who we're dealing with and the various personality differences. It didn't need a meaty back story but you at least had a stake in certain individuals by relating to one or more of them.

But your point is equally valid.

axl rose

Bench
Take say, Inception for example (Cobb aside), or the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs, the jail scene in Usual Suspects etc., it doesn't take long to quickly work out who we're dealing with and the various personality differences. It didn't need a meaty back story but you at least had a stake in certain individuals by relating to one or more of them.

Fair point, I certainly lost track of Tommy more then once, though that may be my short attention span as well as lack of personality development. Its a very intensive made for the big screen movie, I dare say when i see it on the smaller screen its flaws may be apparent.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Just watched Batman Begins for the first time in years...

Nolan is a f**king genius...

I've watched TDK and TDKR multiple times over the years but I forgot how awesome this movie was...

vvvrulz

Coach
Shutter Island 8/10 - actually a bit underrated given it got no Oscar nods, Sorcese and DiCaprio are in full form and the plot & atmosphere sucks you right in. The second time viewing was compelling, the movie and especially the protagonist takes a whole different swing after knowing the final twist. Unlike the 6th Sense, which made less sense knowing the twist, the experience is enhanced here.

T-Boon

Coach
Take say, Inception for example (Cobb aside), or the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs, the jail scene in Usual Suspects etc

There was a bit of that with the scene in the bottomed out boat. Where you work out that bitchy kid from 'The Back Street Boys' has a short fuse and trust issues.
The movie was based on what happened in a matter of hours rather than days or weeks so its not easy to develop characters I suppose.

Shutter Island 8/10 - actually a bit underrated given it got no Oscar nods, Sorcese and DiCaprio are in full form and the plot & atmosphere sucks you right in. The second time viewing was compelling, the movie and especially the protagonist takes a whole different swing after knowing the final twist. Unlike the 6th Sense, which made less sense knowing the twist, the experience is enhanced here.
The ending is somehow lost on a lot of people.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Dunkirk.

7.5/10.

Meh.

There was no need to jump around the story timeline like they did, a linear story arc would have sufficed. Agreed with the post about not being able to decipher what was being said in the spitfires over the radio with the accents and merlin tone in the background. The lack of dialogue was different and worked but overall I don't think it was an outstanding movieby any means.
Pretty much agree with this opinion. It was very well made just had no real emotional impact.

Zoidberg

First Grade
War for the planet of the apes. Very good movie, not quite as good as the last one though, maybe because the quality of the last one caught me by surprise. Some amazingly emotional scenes and a bit more light hearted in some scenes. 8.5/10

Latest posts