What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

why would you relocate Canberra when there is an over-saturation of Sydney?
The Raiders/Vikings theme fits in with the Pirates and not being Sydney or Brisbane will make it more palatable to Western Australians.

I am all for the Titans being shipped over to Perth.

The only Sydney club that might be an option is Manly.

Its classic Donkeys, he said there was no one wiling to back an NRL club in WA. I showed him 3 multi millionaires who have all at different times gone on record in showing a willingness. He then likens Sage to Tinkler (ignoring the fact Sage has shown some level of commitment to his investments by owning Glory for 13 years!) .
He didn't liken him to other successful NRL club private owners like Crowe, Penn or Gordon, I wonder why? He couldn't possibly have an agenda could he?
There is speculation the Penn brothers want out. Gordon hasn't brought any success to the Dragons.

Seems useless to relocate a regional team that has a unique foothold on RL in their area, not sure why you've persisted with canberra as your "relocation or axing" club, they offer a unique area that most codes dont have, plus the Raiders are a great side, i'd understand if you said titans, coz they suck or roosters coz they don't really have a populous/junior catchment/serve no one but sweaterwearingyachtsmen, but not raiders, thats like moving knights to perth just coz they had 3 wooden spoons and were on hard times... no way any team relocates unless they go under financially, which doesn't seem likely if the grants keep coming out of HQ, and if there is a relocation it would be the bears that do it... a team that isn't currently there that would be based anywhere just to get back in
People on here are talking about the importance of having teams in Perth and Adelaide because it gives the game's commercial partners more reach.

Ch9 do not broadcast directly into ACT, but they so have a station in Adelaide and Perth.

Ch9 are yet to extend their deal with the NRL.

Maybe they would be more interested in paying more or extending their deal if they had another market to broadcast into directly.

What about Sea Eagles if the Penn family give up their stake?

Has the Perth bid team spoken to the Penns about relocating to Perth?

I just hope there is some community ownership in whatever team ends up in Perth, even if it's just 25%. When fans have a stake in a club they are far more loyal as they have a say in how it's run.

Maybe the Titans should look at offering 33% of the club to members.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
What about Sea Eagles if the Penn family give up their stake?

Has the Perth bid team spoken to the Penns about relocating to Perth?

I just hope there is some community ownership in whatever team ends up in Perth, even if it's just 25%. When fans have a stake in a club they are far more loyal as they have a say in how it's run.

Maybe the Titans should look at offering 33% of the club to members.
Haha, Perth Western Sea Eagles
A little bit derivative, AFL would love us over there

The Great Dane

First Grade
Its classic Donkeys, he said there was no one wiling to back an NRL club in WA. I showed him 3 multi millionaires who have all at different times gone on record in showing a willingness. He then likens Sage to Tinkler (ignoring the fact Sage has shown some level of commitment to his investments by owning Glory for 13 years!) .
He didn't liken him to other successful NRL club private owners like Crowe, Penn or Gordon, I wonder why? He couldn't possibly have an agenda could he?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
-George Carlin.

That about sums up my opinion of Donkeys. He's a waste of time and energy.

blue bags

First Grade
I say the Sharks would move to Perth and the Dragons take over their ground, leagues club and assets. Have St George, Cronulla and Illawarra all participate in the Canterbury Cup, in there club uniforms and be official feeder clubs to the Southern Dragons and the Perth Sharks.
there should be alot of process for this to happen

taipan

Referee
Just out of left field.I believe Perth should relocate the proposed club to Brisbane, to form the 2nd Brisbane side.Play half their games in Perff ,half in Brisbane.
The Brisbane Western Buccaneers. You know it makes sense.

blue bags

First Grade
i like the names Buccaneers, vikings, chargers, raiders, titans, giants
but Perths team, should have Perth in the name
as Perth pirates
Adelaide giants, or vikings would be cool

Perth Red

Post Whore
i like the names Buccaneers, vikings, chargers, raiders, titans, giants
but Perths team, should have Perth in the name
as Perth pirates
Adelaide giants, or vikings would be cool

Needs to encompass the whole state. We have really strong regional RL and want to make sure they feel part of the States club. Nothing wrong with West Coast

YoHadrian

Juniors
Western Sharks.

They're just hanging to sell the club & the stadium currently there in sand dune/mangrove country & put up more apartments.

I'm not sold on Perth. Let's see how the Storm go when they are brought back to the rest of the pack. Their attendances are deplorable given the success they've had onfield and legups the NRL have given them to stay one step ahead of the competition. Only three players have come through the VRL system to play NRL, and they were all migrants from NZ.

The Lions were far more successful off the field than the Storm when AwFuL gave them legups during the early 2000s, but became a basketcase on and off the field once they were made to play by the same rules as everyone else. That was with a team that contained local players and had a history with fumbleball dating back to the 19th century. We're kidding ourselves if we think things will go differently for the Storm.

The Force were given a few legups when they joined Stupid Rugby. Their initial squad was built around the acquisition of star players from Queensland, creating two mediocre teams. Their crowds were average at best during their first few seasons, but fell away badly towards the end.

The Storm relied on extra funding from News Ltd and NRL and access to Queensland's best juniors for decades to stay at the top. A team from WA will need something similar just to survive, and there's no evidence the NRL or News Ltd has the funds or patience to bankroll it. Perth cannot expect to just sponge off the QRL for juniors.

It will cost a whole lot more to run a Perth based team in the NRL than the NBL or A-League. Perth Wildcats do well attendance wise because they have always been powerhouses on court. Perth Glory did well in the NSL on and off field, but their crowds in the A-League dropped significantly when they became a middle of the table club.

News Ltd is in major debt and NRL is not exactly flush with funds. V'Landys said there will be no expansion into the fumbleball states before COVID-19. There will be no team in Perth. No team would benefit from leaving Sydney behind for Perth, so that rules out relocation.

It would make more sense for Manly to relocate to Gosford and and St George to relocate permanently to Illawarra. Regional NSW needs better repreaentation. Central Coast Bears and Illawarra Dragons.

Last edited: