Which team should relocate to western austrlia?

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by GONZO72, Jul 26, 2013.

1. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Genuinely feel you're placing too much emphasis on SL improving the swans fortunes. The 1996 grand final was far more important.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just don't see 9 teams in Sydney as viable over the long term. Perhaps it will just be the dragons to the gong and another team to the coast. But that will still be an improvement.

2. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Takes 20-30 years to reap the benefits in first grade. That's the real issue. (In a non rugby league area)

3. Stallion

Stallion Juniors

Alot of young footballers seek adventure and opportunity. The promise of another club or two coming on the scene is a genuine incentive to play rugby league and then have a crack at the big time. I was of the same mind when i was a young buck footballer.

toomuchsoup likes this.
  4. taipan

taipan Coach

Losing $20m plus from the ARL coffers( all they had),the complete negative publicity the SL war created, the opportune time the Swans cracked the grand final right in the midst of it, the perceived greed of the players during the SL debacle.IMO it had huge influence on people then ,and the Swans gained a continued benefit by a giant leg up.Their public acceptance and exposure received a huge boost.They were a "good news" story,the SL war simply was not.

5. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Watching tigers tonight in an empty 1970's ground, would,anyone notice if they moved to Perth?

RoosTah and BuderusIsaBeast like this.
  6. Stallion

Stallion Juniors

Stick with the West Coast Pirates! Hopefully one day these dormant administrators may see the obvious benefits of not just one but perhaps 2 expansion clubs playing out of WA. Not holding breath as all I have noticed is a systematic and subversive attack of the game in Sydney with genuine expansion not discussed.

7. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

It's a convenient excuse not to have a growth strategy to keep,everyone's focus on already failing heartlands.

8. Stallion

Stallion Juniors

Not failing! Neglected!

9. BuderusIsaBeast

BuderusIsaBeast Juniors

Fair point on NZ 2 the biggest worry I have with a second NZ team is whether a Wellington or Christchurch can sustain a team or there own. I feel like the Warriors unite NZ in a similar way the Toronto Raptors are Canada's team in the NBA. Maybe a bad example but I just worry if they can sustain support. However they are no bigger risk then Adelaide and as u said there is better junior talent ready to go

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Neglected? 14 nrl clubs and 98% of grass roots funding goes to the heartlands, how is it being neglected by the nrl?

11. Stallion

Stallion Juniors

Massively neglected. The development officers are minimal in all inner city areas as the administrators virtually give up on enticing rugby league in the inner city urban areas. Other codes are fielding development officers and visiting schools or being supported by schools (private with RU & AFL ) and RL is sitting on its hands. Thats neglect for the game of rugby league!

12. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

there are 60 DO'sin nsw compared to 5 in WA, but yeh your being neglected!

13. RL The greatest game

RL The greatest game First Grade

14. Stallion

Stallion Juniors

Face value numbers of 60 development officers mostly doing minimal proactive work must be considered neglect in Australias most populated state.

15. BuffaloRules

BuffaloRules Coach

f**k you are a bitter merkin...

Did you see the Warriors crowd today?

Why aren't you calling for them to move over there?

16. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Because there's one club in Auckland, and too many in Sydney, pretty obvious I'd have thought, even for you!

RoosTah likes this.
  17. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

If a city with 9 pro teams is "neglected" what does te Nrl need to to to give Sydney the love it needs? And what would you call a city with 0 teams??

18. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Apparently more than 60% of the comps teams, more than 60% of the DO pool and more than the tens of millions the nrl gives nswrl and other Sydney grass roots, more than the GF every year, more than basing nrlhq there etc etc

19. RoosTah

RoosTah Juniors

In a lot of ways moving the Tigers would be the best option.

They're already a club with a fractured identity after all and so if you moved them you'd give them a clear home ground that is conflicted between 2 very different Sydney demographics.

Add to that, the recent poll showing most fans would continue to support their club if they moved anyway and it's a massive win-win because every time they come back to play a side in Sydney they'll still have support.

20. BuffaloRules

BuffaloRules Coach

A recent poll... cant argue with tha logic...

How about the Bears taking over Gold Coast?

I might even call that a win-win-win to make it sound even more impressive... Bears are back in the comp, Gold Coast get some long term financial stability and the Bears Sydney based fans get to watch them in Sydney several times a year...