What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to play 5/8?

watatank

Coach
It's going to be Mann, for many reasons but the main reason is for his defence. Our ability to impact the game is still going to be dependent on the pack, like always.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It's going to be Mann, for many reasons but the main reason is for his defence. Our ability to impact the game is still going to be dependent on the pack, like always.
Absolutely, the pack must keep doing what they have been doing. Tough times though coming up against such a professional outfit as Melbourne and being down your captain and five eight.

Gippsy

Bench
Gypsy , maybe Mary if he's game start with Mann at 5/8 and have Nona on bench just in case it doesn't work or dugans not kicking well. Just a thought.

Not a great fan of Nona. He's had plenty of time to make NRL level and hasn't cracked it. But Field on the bench is an option, IMO

MilanDragon

Juniors
Yes it is a big ask especially against a full strength Storm.

Mary had the opportunity to test Mann and Field at 6 during the trials and at various times during previous games. He chose not to do so which was not such a bad decision in the short term but as it turns out now, leaves us with untried candidates for Widdop's replacement.

It's not all Mary's fault. Millward in his enthusiasm for junior pathways has failed to provide insurance against this circumstance by not recruiting a first grade ready five-eighth for 2017. We do have backup wingers, centres and a plan to put Nighty in for Dugan but no definite solution if Widdop or McCrone went down. This could have been avoided by giving Mann much more time at 6 or 7 and the same goes for Field albeit he has been injured for most of this season.

Time will tell however, my decision would be to play Mann at 6 right up until our bye with Field on the bench.

When was Mary going to give Mann or Field an extended run in the 6 halfway through a game? Are you mad?! They would have received no more than the token 5-10 minutes they were getting. During trials I believe Mann was given time in the halves and trained there through the preseason, as mentioned by Nightingale earlier this week.

Now for Millward, granted we don't have a 'ready made' half backing up at the moment, but don't forget our first choice 7 is out fit the season so we are using our back up. Most teams don't have 2 nrl standard back ups ready to go, they might have one experienced journeyman plus a junior or two.

This game we are playing without what would have been our first choice halves pairing before the season started. Not many clubs can prepare for that

Crush

Coach
Mary just confirmed on a FB live-stream Mann will wear the 6 against the Storm
Never doubted it;)
Hopefully he nails it and can play well there for the whole time Widdop is injured. As others have stated, cannot expect miracles from the kid, Widdop is irreplaceable. And hopefully Mary doesn't chop and change if he has one bad game. Give him the whole 6 weeks at six and see if he has what it takes.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Never doubted it;)

I see what you did there! Cheeky bugger:D

And totally agree about being given time........at least 3 weeks as a minimum.
He will be up against some good opposition in the coming weeks to test and prove himself. Disappointed for Gaz and the team but I'm really excited for Kurt that this opportunity has come along as i was starting to think his chance (with us) had passed him by.

Massive fan and a real believer in his ability, hope he proves me right.

giboz71

First Grade
Well, Mann finally has his chance. Plenty have been waiting for him to have his opportunity and now he has it. Much like Kodi Nikorima at the Broncos.

I like Mann and he's performed well at wing and centre where decision making is not as important. Completely different role to be 5/8. Decision making under pressure and his kicking game is what I'll be watching as none of us have seen this - not at FG level anyway.

Not sure of his role next year possibly wing but Nighty looks to be going around a little longer. Maybe left centre if Lafai leaves? If he can success at 5/8, he could even be a FB option if Duges leaves (and maybe get more than 2 games this time).

Dragonslayer

First Grade
NRL Squad for Round 9 v Melbourne Storm:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Kurt Mann
7. Josh McCrone
8. Russell Packer
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell (c)
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Hame Sele
17. Taane Milne
18. Jai Field
19. Blake Lawrie
20. Luciano Leilua
21. Jacob Host

Mann at 5/8 and Milne in the 17
Friz is the new captain

Crush

Coach
I see what you did there! Cheeky bugger:D

And totally agree about being given time........at least 3 weeks as a minimum.
He will be up against some good opposition in the coming weeks to test and prove himself. Disappointed for Gaz and the team but I'm really excited for Kurt that this opportunity has come along as i was starting to think his chance (with us) had passed him by.

Massive fan and a real believer in his ability, hope he proves me right.
He deserves his opportunity. He has been somewhat messed around by dragons thus far. Last year by getting dropped after one bad game at fullback then this year only getting limited time.
He deserves now to prove to the club that he is the best utility at Dragons and can play himself into a decent contract renewal.
I hope he does.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Well, Mann finally has his chance. Plenty have been waiting for him to have his opportunity and now he has it. Much like Kodi Nikorima at the Broncos.

I like Mann and he's performed well at wing and centre where decision making is not as important. Completely different role to be 5/8. Decision making under pressure and his kicking game is what I'll be watching as none of us have seen this - not at FG level anyway.

Not sure of his role next year possibly wing but Nighty looks to be going around a little longer. Maybe left centre if Lafai leaves? If he can success at 5/8, he could even be a FB option if Duges leaves (and maybe get more than 2 games this time).
He has his opportunity now to make his mark and will have several weeks to prove he can do it at 6. At least he will have a number of training sessions prior to the game this weekend to find his feet.

giboz71

First Grade
He has his opportunity now to make his mark and will have several weeks to prove he can do it at 6. At least he will have a number of training sessions prior to the game this weekend to find his feet.

Well I keep hearing he played 6 at Qld Cup level for the Storm and absolutely killed it. So I'm hoping it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him.

He was a natural 5/8 in his junior days was he not?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Well I keep hearing he played 6 at Qld Cup level for the Storm and absolutely killed it. So I'm hoping it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him.

He was a natural 5/8 in his junior days was he not?
Initially played 5/8 at NYC level with the Knights, Storm and also for U20s Qld origin prior to shifting to fullback. So yes, has played there before.

Drakon

Juniors
So you want Nona to take McCrones spot?
So you want Nona to take McCrones spot?
Now Benny, I know you know 7 and 6 are commonly called halves so you are being somewhat provocative and cheeky! All good. I always knew Mann would be chosen at 6 to replace Widdop. I'm just expressing a desire to see what Nona could do. Especially with his kicking game. And I believe he's earned his chance too!

Now didn't he play 5/8 outside Hutch last year? And was part of the winning Cutters team that won the GF and also beat the Burleigh Bears? And Demetriou rates him highly - best 5/8 not playing NRL? Quote "Another bloke, Shaun Nona, to me he is the best five-eighth in the [Intrust Super Premiership]."

Anyway, hope Mann plays well.

possm

Coach
I'd say that if Mann kills it at 6 and shows a good passing game and kicking game, there is a real possibility that Mann may partner Widdop in the halves later this year.

Drakon

Juniors
I'd say that if Mann kills it at 6 and shows a good passing game and kicking game, there is a real possibility that Mann may partner Widdop in the halves later this year.
No chance possm unless McCrone is injured.