What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whos in the 2019 15 man ashes squad? OFFICIAL SQUAD Announced 26/7

Call me crazy, and I understand where people are coming from because he bowled like a plodestrian against India in Australia, but they're not dropping Starc particularly given that he's just taken a record 27 wickets in the world cup in English conditions and he took 10 wickets in his last test.

And that’s why we often struggle in England. We don’t make the tough choices.

Starc is a very different red ball bowler than white, he’s worse again on soft wickets.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Squad has been sort of picked

MMarsh apparently left out, same with Burns and Kurtis Patterson

Bancroft, Wade and Laubasghne got the 3 reserve batting positions

Alex Carey as expected going as the reserve keeper. Did think they would take a reserve. Neither Wade or Bancroft are test quality keepers.

Alex Carey as expected going as the reserve keeper. Did think they would take a reserve. Neither Wade or Bancroft are test quality keepers.

There can’t be 3 reserve batting positions, they’re not picking 9 batsmen unless Carey isn’t there.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

3 reserve batting spots ?

so that would be 11th, 12th and 13th man

typicalfan

Coach
I couldn't leave Starc out of the squad. Even when he is bleeding runs he can buy the odd wicket here and there purely based on his speed. I don't think we can win the ashes without him.

I couldn't leave Starc out of the squad. Even when he is bleeding runs he can buy the odd wicket here and there purely based on his speed. I don't think we can win the ashes without him.

He’ll be in the squad, the question is more surrounding which tests he plays.

One spinner

Labausghne is the second spinner. Head can bowl offies too, Smith isn’t the worst.

I don’t rate Holland, but Labuschagne isn’t good enough to be the front line spinner. If Lyon gets injured the balance will be poor, so with the overrate. Need to play 4 fast bowlers.

Pity O’Keefe has been cast aside. He’s easily the second best spinner in Australia.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I don’t rate Holland, but Labuschagne isn’t good enough to be the front line spinner. If Lyon gets injured the balance will be poor, so with the overrate. Need to play 4 fast bowlers.

Pity O’Keefe has been cast aside. He’s easily the second best spinner in Australia.

We don’t have a test quality second spinner period. Holland is absolute rubbish.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There’s no connection between the two. I wouldn’t play O’Keefe unless Lyon got injured. (Any second spinner)

Also I want Starc in the team if the wickets suit.
There is a connection because if you don't want Starc in the first XI it means you regard him as a squad player and so on the same level as O'keefe.

O'keefe is nowhere near good enough these days to be anywhere near an Australian squad.

There is a connection because if you don't want Starc in the first XI it means you regard him as a squad player and so on the same level as O'keefe.

O'keefe is nowhere near good enough these days to be anywhere near an Australian squad.

Squad players aren’t all on the same level. They all have a different role to play, in no way can O’Keefe be considered on the same level as Starc.

And as I’ve said, Starc would be in my first XI for some of the matches. A second spinner wouldn’t play at all unless Lyon got injured.

O’Keefe took 20 wickets in 7 games @ 28 this past season. Nothing amazing, but the best average in shield cricket among spinners.