What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Stadium roof buckling under high winds, could collapse

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
any photos ?

yep..

here's china:

photo_lg_china.jpg

here's a mine in australia:
rio-tinto-mine-in-pilbara.jpg

here's someone who doesn't want the mining tax:

385371-nathan-tinkler.jpg

here's a rising asian financial centre:

shanghai_skyline_g2.jpeg

and here's an oven mitt:

magnetic-oven-mitt_MK7da_5965.jpg

Serc

First Grade
Serc - I believe it was installed in May.

nah was either late july or even august that it went on..

i was there in early july and all it had was the beams - no roof..

The roof didnt go on until well after the Manly home game there in late June

Thanks fellas...for anyone interested there's been (depending on the exact date) 2 or 3 wind events of similar or greater strength in the time since the roof was put on.

f**k, i think i just learned something. did i stumble into the wrong forum?

haha I think I did too...great post Goddo.

By the way pervy, if you still feel you're on a roll, here's some more reading for you on the bit I do know something about: The model of Demographic Transition

PS: muzby you are awesome. Keep up the good work mate :D

Loudstrat

Coach
1. Don't buy any bottled water and we'll all be OK.

2. Tax everything else

3. ??????

4. Renamed to greed to suit commo perths agenda

F*ck off and support Newcastle you right wing twat.

Australian soil, dug up in Australia and sold overseas. And the profits go to either China, the US, or three fat f*ckwits, one with a twat with cobwebs, one who gives loose change to Rusty, and one who did an insurance job on his Farrari to get Bennet.

Never -ever - use a public hospital. That way no one can call you a hypocrite.

Goddo

Bench
I find it funny all the talk about the Carbon Tax, or the Mining Profits Super Tax which ended Rudd. The Liberals plan on having a Carbon Tax, they just beat it up to get political gain. In fact, the current proposed Labor tax is very similar to the Liberals plan should they get into office.

The fact is Australia faces a two speed economy - the challenge is to redistribute wealth from the booming mining sector to the general ecconomy to balance the whole thing out.

Tax and investment in new growth industries is the way to do it. Both Labor and Liberal parties have recognised this. The rest is just political games.

On generating wealth, investing in next generation technology and infrastructure while we are cashed up is increadibly important. Not enough money went to nation building under Howard, while Labor has a mixed report card; done some good (NBN) but also wasted a lot (pink bats).

Red Bear

Referee
tbh favouring the cheaper product (china) over the quality (bluescope) sounds like capitalism to me.

Infact much of the troubles at bluescope seem to stem from the mindset that max profit is best. And max profit involved importing from China, who'se production costs are much lower because they can treat their workers like shit, thus they can sell cheaper, rather than buying local (and certainly over exporting, because other countries can also take advantage of cheaper prices from china rather than more expensive steel). Because short term profit is near-always chosen over durability and quality.

docbrown

Coach
tbh favouring the cheaper product (china) over the quality (bluescope) sounds like capitalism to me.

Infact much of the troubles at bluescope seem to stem from the mindset that max profit is best. And max profit involved importing from China, who'se production costs are much lower because they can treat their workers like shit, thus they can sell cheaper, rather than buying local (and certainly over exporting, because other countries can also take advantage of cheaper prices from china rather than more expensive steel). Because short term profit is near-always chosen over durability and quality.

Well if you want talk about the lack of engineering code quality in China, check this baby out -

chinesebuildingcollapse2.jpg

09shanghai786.jpg

In most of the piles there was no reinforcement and in some no concrete at all.

Make you feel safe if you're living in one of the other similar buildings nearby.

Pyroz

Juniors
Heaps safe. Just missing 160,000 chinese guys in the place. They weight 50kgs each, so that could've been an extra 800 tonne holding it down. The more on the bottom floor and closer to the middle the better :crazy:

docbrown

Coach
Heaps safe. Just missing 160,000 chinese guys in the place. They weight 50kgs each, so that could've been an extra 800 tonne holding it down. The more on the bottom floor and closer to the middle the better :crazy:

Well maybe it fell over because they all shifted to the one side of the building.

Or maybe there was just a slight breeze...

Parra

Referee
Take the easy way out - swear to show how tough you are and then blame capitalism.

innsaneink

Referee
LOL....funny thing is theyve seemed to given each tower plenty of clearance room to the next tower just in case of some unexpected occurrence, something just like above mebbee.

The fact it all stayed together above foundation level is odd too

docbrown

Coach
LOL....funny thing is theyve seemed to given each tower plenty of clearance room to the next tower just in case of some unexpected occurrence, something just like above mebbee.

The fact it all stayed together above foundation level is odd too

Well otherwise it would've been like dominoes.

I love the fact that that there steel rebars sitting next to the fallen structure.

It's like they had the reinfocement but didn't know what to do with it.