What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Picked up a Saint Cosme 2009 Cotes-Du-Rhone for $20, and to be honest I still prefer the d'Arenberg Stump Jump GSM. It's not a bad drink, but it's not worth $20 either.

Just because it's French doesn't mean it's good.

Really? I really enjoy the St Cosme, I reckon it's great for the price...nice red fruit and spice, peppery shiraz and excellent tannins. The Gigondas is awesome for 40 odd bucks as well IMO

It's not bad, but I just don't feel it's a $20 wine. It's a problem I have with a lot of French wines is that you are either paying for the appellation of the wine or the terrior, not necessarily the quality.

As for the Saint Cosme, this 2009 tastes more of a Grenache + Mourvedre blend than Syrah/Shiraz. Tannins are soft on the palate though pronounced in the finish. Berry notes are quite flat in my opinion.

Biggest surprise for me is how black this wine is in the glass.

_Johnsy

Referee
It's not bad, but I just don't feel it's a $20 wine. It's a problem I have with a lot of French wines is that you are either paying for the appellation of the wine or the terrior, not necessarily the quality.

As for the Saint Cosme, this 2009 tastes more of a Grenache + Mourvedre blend than Syrah/Shiraz. Tannins are soft on the palate though pronounced in the finish. Berry notes are quite flat in my opinion.

Biggest surprise for me is how black this wine is in the glass.

I was watching a wine show on pay TV the other month and was amazed at this. There was an intersection of 2 roads (just like a normal +). There was a winery each side and only 5m from each other. One side the grapes fetched $1500 per kg, the other $700, another $1000 and the last $150. All down to the terroir, bizarre concept indeed.

I found the same when I went to a DWS Eurpoean wine launch (side note, it's the 2nd drunkest I've been at a vintage launch). They had an appreciation course on Chablis and Burgundy in a downstairs restaurant. We found out that for Grand Cru's, only 7 wineries are used and they are all on the same hill. And the idea isn't to express how the winemaker views that vintage and the grapes, but how close they can get to representing the terrior. Which to me meant how close they could get to everything tasting the same.

Bazal

Post Whore
Terroir is starring to get a real following from wine makers here, which I think is fantastic. While I certainly am not one of those old world wine snob types I love the concept of terroir. It gives wine a sense of place and history and individuality. Where Barossa shiraz used to basically be made to a formula for example (big, fruity, oaky) you're now getting amazing variation because people understand the specificity of certain sites.

Coonawarra is considered (according to myself and James Halliday anyway) to be Australia's best known terrior. My problem with terrior, particularly after the French example, is that it takes a lot of the individuality out of the wine making process. I'm not saying it leads to bad wine just that I feel like you've had one, you've had them all.

_Johnsy

Referee
I was watching a wine show on pay TV the other month and was amazed at this. There was an intersection of 2 roads (just like a normal +). There was a winery each side and only 5m from each other. One side the grapes fetched $1500 per kg, the other $700, another $1000 and the last $150. All down to the terroir, bizarre concept indeed.

I found the same when I went to a DWS Eurpoean wine launch (side note, it's the 2nd drunkest I've been at a vintage launch). They had an appreciation course on Chablis and Burgundy in a downstairs restaurant. We found out that for Grand Cru's, only 7 wineries are used and they are all on the same hill. And the idea isn't to express how the winemaker views that vintage and the grapes, but how close they can get to representing the terrior. Which to me meant how close they could get to everything tasting the same.

Terroir is starring to get a real following from wine makers here, which I think is fantastic. While I certainly am not one of those old world wine snob types I love the concept of terroir. It gives wine a sense of place and history and individuality. Where Barossa shiraz used to basically be made to a formula for example (big, fruity, oaky) you're now getting amazing variation because people understand the specificity of certain sites.

Coonawarra is considered (according to myself and James Halliday anyway) to be Australia's best known terrior. My problem with terrior, particularly after the French example, is that it takes a lot of the individuality out of the wine making process. I'm not saying it leads to bad wine just that I feel like you've had one, you've had them all.

It was actually an episode of Oz & james wine adventure the champagne & champagne production episode. It was in relation to a particular group of specific champagne producers, i cant remember the name of the "group/society". There were only a few that could use this logo/name.

Appellation is a huge issue in France (well, Europe really) at the moment. The people of Burgundy have sued (and won) the people of Beaujolais so they cannot put Burgundy on their labels. Beaujolais has been considered part of Greater Burgundy for a long time (centuries), but they grow Gamay grapes for red wine as opposed to Burgundy which grows Pinot Noir. At the moment, the Beaujolais people are appealing the decision so expect more "fun" on that topic...

_Johnsy

Referee
Appellation is a huge issue in France (well, Europe really) at the moment. The people of Burgundy have sued (and won) the people of Beaujolais so they cannot put Burgundy on their labels. Beaujolais has been considered part of Greater Burgundy for a long time (centuries), but they grow Gamay grapes for red wine as opposed to Burgundy which grows Pinot Noir. At the moment, the Beaujolais people are appealing the decision so expect more "fun" on that topic...

Similar thing happening atm with port, I heard the other day it may have to be called tawny instead due to people of the Duoro Valley in Portugal taking similar legal action.

Bazal

Post Whore
As far as I know sherry is also origin protected. All the new Aussie labels are putting "apera" and not sherry.

On terroir again, I think that we don't get a great idea of it out here, unless we can afford the First Growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru Burgundies (and I sure as shit can't!). If the fruit quality isn't up to scratch, then terroir is simply not going to be a factor as much as the winemaker may pretend it is. I have been lucky enough to try a few of the really good ones though, and been amazed at what the terroir reveals in the wine. Chablis is probably the most accessable example, with that salty minerality mirroring the soil, which contains massive amounts of ancient crushed sea shells. Cote du Rhone/Cote Rotie is another one within my reach price wise where terroir can be very obvious

Bazal

Post Whore
Taylors rep came in today...am I the only one who can't see what the fuss about their wines is? The reds especially don't appeal to me in any way. The shiraz and the Jaraman shiraz are woeful IMO, spirity and sweet and horrible. The riesling is a bit of a sleeper though, very good value.

I've been running my shop for around 20 months, and I am yet to have seen my Taylor's rep. I know who it is (she is a former Diageo rep, and a cow), and am slowly killing off Taylors from my shop. Only 1 bottle of Cab Sauv left.

_Johnsy

Referee
Good to see Mr _Johnsy out of uniform today. A gentleman and a scholar.

Had a great day mate. Shame it was a touch warm, luckily it didnt detract from the event.
I hope it becomes an annual event. Was it planned to be held inside or was it always going to be outside?
if it is going to be outside each year it may pay to have it a few months earlier.

Thanks again for a top day

After the turn out (we budgeted for 150, got 450), it's definitely going to be annual. I have to admit being outside wasn't the greatest plan, particularly after being under the tent from 11am until 4:30pm. With the kitchen area being up and running shortly, we should have room to move the tasting inside. Will put that forward to the big boss.

Anyone got an idea for a wine tonight. After reading back through the last few days, I'm thinking a Beaujolais. Although I was planning on having pasta with a tomato based sauce tonight, so that may not be the greatest idea.

As far as I know sherry is also origin protected. All the new Aussie labels are putting "apera" and not sherry.

Saw that today on a McWilliams Cream bottle. That should make things nice and confusing for everyone. Port often came listed with Tawny somewhere on the label so the name change wasn't too hard. But Apera, who thought that was a good idea?

Edit: Wikipedia says Apera is a type of grass native to Europe and western Asia. Glad that relates to Sherry.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I think it comes from "aperativo" but I'm not sure...I noticed a few weeks back the first of the "topaques" on my shelf too...

I had a glass of some Young Punks riesling with dinner...not sure if I've mentioned it before, but wow...