What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your hangover treatment

Don't take more than the recommended dose of Nurofen plus - it can be harmful in several ways.
Don't take it for a hangover at all.
Nurofen maybe - but Nurofen plus is for serious pain and contains opiates that could be addictive.
I've had two in my entire life - and i had a broken arm that wasn't set yet.

From the product information leaflet on Nurofen plus

Goin a bit overboard there dude. You need to take a lot of nurofen plus daily, over a long period of time to get addicted. There is not that much codeine in it. I think its only 12.5mg.. Panadeine forte has 30mg, and even them you have to take a fair few every day over a few weeks to get some sort of addiction happening. The product labelling is just scare tactics.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
Goin a bit overboard there dude. You need to take a lot of nurofen plus daily, over a long period of time to get addicted. There is not that much codeine in it. I think its only 12.5mg.. Panadeine forte has 30mg, and even them you have to take a fair few every day over a few weeks to get some sort of addiction happening. The product labelling is just scare tactics.
Since May 1st drugs with over 12 mg of codiene have been reclassified from S2 to S3 drugs, meaning you can only buy them in packs of 24 from behind the counter at chemists now and you have to show ID i think.
That's because of attitudes like yours.

bazza

Immortal
smash a bottle of gatorade (2 if possible)

guaranteed to rehydrate and fix you up within an hour or two

yep - if you know you're going to have a big one, buy some gatorade/powerade before hand and put in the fridge as a gift to yourself when you get home

Another tactic to avoid hangovers is to start (and finish) drinking early - hangover will be gone by 9 the next day

Thomas

First Grade
I take a multivitamin just before I go to sleep and drink a heap of water. As soon as I get up I have some more water and/or a breakfast drink like UpnGo which has a bit of protein, some milk and a bit of sugar. After that I am fine-ish. A bit of exercise can't hurt either.

billy2

Juniors
I take a multivitamin just before I go to sleep and drink a heap of water.
Alcohol in your stomach will actually destroy B group vitamins before they get into your system.
Alcohol destroys vitamins B1 and B6, which is what causes Korsakoff's psychosis - or alcohol related brain damage.
You need to get the berocca into you, but the worst time to do it is when you have alcohol in your system or stomach - you do it well before and well after.

perverse

Referee
don't worry billy, i'm pretty well read on the substances i put in my body. i was being comical.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
don't worry billy, i'm pretty well read on the substances i put in my body. i was being comical.
I know you were, but analgesic abuse is very, very common because people think they are harmless.
They aren't - especially ones with opiates in them.
In America they claim analgesics kill more people than heroin.

perverse

Referee
they're far more accessable than heroin, so that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

substance abuse is substance abuse, and you're going to mank your body abusing just about any of them. abuse being the key word in all of this, not substance.

as for codeine OD, it's going to take you more than the 15 odd mg you get in some nurofen. it's going to take more than the 30mg you get in a single panadeine forte. addiction is addiction, something i'm also familiar with. i'd just like to note at this stage that i suffer migraines, and that codeine is simply a part of my life. i'm well familiar with it. its worst side effect is easily constipation - if taken regularly in a non-abusive way, that is.

in fact, i'm more worried about the paracetamol/ibuprofen in taking analgesics, tbh.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
they're far more accessable than heroin, so that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

substance abuse is substance abuse, and you're going to mank your body abusing just about any of them. abuse being the key word in all of this, not substance.

as for codeine OD, it's going to take you more than the 15 odd mg you get in some nurofen. it's going to take more than the 30mg you get in a single panadeine forte. addiction is addiction, something i'm also familiar with. i'd just like to note at this stage that i suffer migraines, and that codeine is simply a part of my life. i'm well familiar with it. its worst side effect is easily constipation - if taken regularly in a non-abusive way, that is.

in fact, i'm more worried about the paracetamol/ibuprofen in taking analgesics, tbh.

Your actual quote that i felt i had to respond to was;
as much nurofen+ as i can fit in my fist
If you actually did that you would make yourself very sick.
If you did that with Panadiene forte you would die a slow and painful death if you didn't get to an ED in a few hours - and it wouldn't be the codiene that would kill you - more than 15 paracetomol tabs can kill your kidneys - and you.

perverse

Referee
yeah, for sure. i was just sharing my musings, not necessarily rebuking your statement. agree with what you say. paracetemol OD is nasty.

Billy you need to settle down champ. There are more things to worry about than pharmy abuse.

And even with the reclass to an S3 medication, you can still buy panadeine in packs of 48. If people really want to abuse pharmies they will just go doctor shopping, probably find some dodgy indian doctor who writes scripts for endone like its nothing.

And yes. I have no idea why anyone would want to kill themselves on paracetamol. One of the worst ways to go out.

Last edited:
I don't know what part of my posts you think are 'excited'.
It's the 'advice' you would find on any pack of analgesics, and the advice you would get from any responsible health care professional.

A lot of the time the 'advice' on the packaging has no bearing on what a lot of doctors prescribe/order. I have seen a lot of people given way over recommended doses before. What a pharmacist says to do and what doctors actually do do is very different.

Shorty

Staff member

as for codeine OD, it's going to take you more than the 15 odd mg you get in some nurofen. it's going to take more than the 30mg you get in a single panadeine forte. addiction is addiction, something i'm also familiar with. i'd just like to note at this stage that i suffer migraines, and that codeine is simply a part of my life. i'm well familiar with it. its worst side effect is easily constipation - if taking regularly in a non-abusive way, that is.

Agreed, I've suffered from headaches most of my life and sometimes have to taken nurofen 3 times a week.
People with arthritis taken nurofen every day and are prescripted by pharmacists to do so.
So taken one after a p*ss up, isn't going to do any harm.

However I would advise on taking it when you have a hangover not before.
A lot of the time the 'advice' on the packaging has no bearing on what a lot of doctors prescribe/order. I have seen a lot of people given way over recommended doses before. What a pharmacist says to do and what doctors actually do do is very different.
I'm dating a pharmacist and I can definitely say that this happens.

As for the advice on berocca...lol contradictory? Have you looked at the ingredients in Berocca and some multivitamins? They're the same.