What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your State's ultimate Origin team?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
In conclusion; a completely unbiased greatest NSW team would appear something like...

1 M Hughes ( Just pips Brasher and Jack)
2 A Quinn (Pips McManus)
3 Tahu (Pips Daley)
4 M Gidley (Nuff said)
5 Mad Dog (Pips OConnor)
6 M Johns (Toin coss between him Fittler and Kenny - brother combo wins)
7 A Johns (Game 2 2005)
13 Kennedy (Clyde/Pearce/Price came close)
12 Simpson (Sironen unlucky)
11 Harrogan (Muir unlucky)
10 Perry (Lazarus was good but not as good)
9 Bedurus (head and shoulders clear of Elias and Priddis)
8 Sargent (Roberts and Roach unlucky)
14 Gidley (C) (nuff said)
15 Muir (deserves a bench spot)
16 B Cross (Hard as a rock)
17 J Mullen (Next big thing)

18 Uate (With some game time may usurp Quinn's wing spot).

As any Nova Castrian knows - it does not matter who plays outside Joey - he will win single handedly, and just look - hes never had any real talent to work alongside with.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: touche, although to be honest they were both very different players. Johns was much more physical, Lockyer more athletic. At the end of the day it depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I like my Rugby League players physical...

Thank you people, your posts brought a smile to my face. Anyway, it doesn't matter who you pick, the Maroons will win the series in any case.

Slater, Folau, Tate, Meninga, Inglis, Lewis, Lockyer, Civoniceva, Smith, Webcke, Thaiday, Tallis, Gillmeister

Hunt, Beetson, Price, Johnson

Unbeatable, apart form the dead-rubber, as long as Qld have been painting the town red for a few days before the match.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lockyer at halfback? Tate ahead of Miles/Jackson?

Gillmeister over Lidner/Smith J for lock?

Hunt makes the team?

I dun know - I'm a staunch maroon rabbitoh but that team looks beatable. Looks like they've been ravaged by injury and are throwing together a makeshift team... :p

Yosh

Coach
:lol: touche, although to be honest they were both very different players. Johns was much more physical, Lockyer more athletic. At the end of the day it depends on what you prefer.

Personally, I like my Rugby League players physical...

Bit too much info there:D

Hi Ant,

I'm a massive Tate supporter, his running from acting dummy-half is awsome, and I like a glue like player as my supporting centre-field runner, who's brill in defence. And Hunt can play full-back, five-eighth, wing and at a push half-back. Granted, there is a slight problem if C.Smith gets injured, but Lockyer will have to practice a lot as the No.9 just in case.

The 18th Man

Juniors
This is the start of my side, the rest is up for debate.

NSW Side

1 - Garry Jack
2 - Andrew Ettingshausen
3 - Mick Cronin
4 - Brett Kenny
5 - Eric Grothe Snr
6 - Laurie Daley
7 - Ricky Stuart
8 - Glen Lazarus
9 - Danny Buderus
10 - Paul Harragon
11 - Ray Price
12 - Brad Clyde
13 - Brad Fittler
14 - Andrew Johns
15 - Michael O'Connor
16 - Noel Cleal
17 - Steve Roach

Coach: Phil Gould

This is much harder than I'd have thought.

Centre and wing for starters, Rod Wishart has to contend though I can't leave out Cronin and Ettingshausen can I?

What about fullback? Against the greatest QLD team you would near a safe fullback who could attack as well, there was no safer than Garry Jack especially when called up on the last line. Anthony Minichiello at his best though definately pushes his case for inclusion, I rate him highly. Tim Brasher? Probably not in that class but superb for NSW when he was in the team.

To be continued...

Italics are players I would debate moving and/or swapping given I like most forget about some of the players who are deserving of mention in threads like these ;-)

Edit, I have to have Ricky Stuart in my side at halfback and thus, Daley thus giving us the halves combination to combat the Langer/Lewis QLD's side would consist of. This is a big call given Kenny should be the five-eight in any NSW team BUT, looking at the combination of Stuart/Daley, I can move Kenny. If Sterling was my halfback, or Johns, or Mortimer, I'd keep Kenny in the 6 jersey no question. Kenny with Cronin and Grothe Snr outside Daley and Stuart is mouth watering.

Last edited:

The 18th Man

Juniors
You know what, I have a real hard team leaving Ricky Stuart out of my team at halfback. A real hard time. Stuart was magic at his best and his combination with Daley was a joy to watch. Given Johns played a bit off the bench, a bit at hooker, Stuart in my opinion comes in to play at halfback for NSW along with obviously Sterling and Mortimer. Waz Ryan came out and labelled Stuart as the best player he had ever seen in 93' (I think it was 93, possibly 94).

I feel Sticky is often dismissed when looking at the great halves. It's a shame. From 89 to 94 there wasn't many, IF any, better players in the game.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I absolutely agree 18th.

Cheers.

It's a tough gig selecting that team, the side I have will do me but there are arguments abound for inclusions of others. Sterling the obvious one, Eels fans will shoot me and whilst I loved watching Sterlo, I don't think he was better than Stuart (another reason some might nail me to a cross).

What about some modern day guys who were as passionate as ANY? Ben Kennedy for one. Brad Mackay was ever reliable for NSW. Adam Muir. David Gillespie. Mark Carroll (who I'd have in ANY of my sides normally).

Steven Menzies never really stood out but rarely if ever let us down. Paul Sironen always rose to the occasion come Origin time.

Benny Elias I just never liked and that may have clouded my judgement there. More so for his off-field carry on that I have seen more than I would have liked. He was very good though. You don't lose with him there. I just think Buderus set a new bar for hookers and I rewarded him.

This thread gave me a pleasant headache. If only we had the same problem in 2011 :D

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Cheers.

It's a tough gig selecting that team, the side I have will do me but there are arguments abound for inclusions of others. Sterling the obvious one, Eels fans will shoot me and whilst I loved watching Sterlo, I don't think he was better than Stuart (another reason some might nail me to a cross).

What about some modern day guys who were as passionate as ANY? Ben Kennedy for one. Brad Mackay was ever reliable for NSW. Adam Muir. David Gillespie. Mark Carroll (who I'd have in ANY of my sides normally).

Steven Menzies never really stood out but rarely if ever let us down. Paul Sironen always rose to the occasion come Origin time.

Benny Elias I just never liked and that may have clouded my judgement there. More so for his off-field carry on that I have seen more than I would have liked. He was very good though. You don't lose with him there. I just think Buderus set a new bar for hookers and I rewarded him.

This thread gave me a pleasant headache. If only we had the same problem in 2011 :D

BK was inspirational for the Blues always. Just an incredibly professional and positively passioned player. Brad MacKay may have been reliable - but not a superstar. David Gillespie was a hard one for me to omit to be honest. Buderus v Elias for me was a no contest with Elias a clear winner. He was a dirty player - but very effective for his state. I actually think Beduerus selections often robbed Priddis.

Absolutely agree with your Menizes comments. I slightly disagree with the Sterlo comments. Stuart was far more influential at origin than Sterlo. Hands down.

Last edited:

MacDougall

First Grade
NSW

1. Garry Jack
2. John Hopoate
3. Terry Hill
4. Mick Cronin
5. Eric Grothe Snr
6. Brett Kenny
7. Andrew Johns
8. Paul Harragon
9. Ben Elias
10. Glenn Lazarus
11. Ray Price
12. Paul Sironen
13. Wayne Pearce

14. Laurie Daley
15. Ben Kennedy
16. Mark Carroll
17. Mark Geyer

Lol tough question, but I went for Origin metal. Who in the world would want to play against that team? They would just eat you alive.

Latest posts