What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really miss Vossy

ram raid

Bench
Is Hadley still on the Footy Show? I get the feeling he is slowly being pushed off air bit by bit.

Yeah I think so too. I don't think the feedback on Hadley has been very good. They might be blooding Gilbert and co for the job. Which won't improve things.

Parraren

Bench
It's amazing how out of touch ch9 is with the league viewing public on the Vossy v Hadley debate.

Everyone I know who watches league pretty much can't stand Hadley.

Is there anyone out there who actually enjoys his commentary?

Vossy calling NZ games is a blessing on fox. The old kiwi callers were a punish.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The game loses out having vids only for nz sky calls. Listening to him last week he mentions how good hardakar is going at Leeds and the competition for englands number 1spot. Things like this are what the calls need mature discussion, comparisons and occasional quirky one liners. Instead we have the same rubbish as the last decade on nine, the game really missed a trick by not dumping that network and getting a new start on 10 eve. If sacrificing money to do so

Fordy20

Juniors
The game loses out having vids only for nz sky calls. Listening to him last week he mentions how good hardakar is going at Leeds and the competition for englands number 1spot. Things like this are what the calls need mature discussion, comparisons and occasional quirky one liners. Instead we have the same rubbish as the last decade on nine, the game really missed a trick by not dumping that network and getting a new start on 10 eve. If sacrificing money to do so

Nine would still have had last rights. Getting rid of the option was more important.

Bretto

Bench
Hadley talked about how much he likes The Voice for a solid 2 or 3 minutes the other night.

azsportza

Live Update Team
I turned on Channel 9 to see who was calling the replay and it was Tim Gilbert, before he finished his first sentence I turned it off. How anyone can enjoy it is beyond me.

The whole mess between Vossy and Hadley does nothing but damage our game.

Andrew Voss is simply value for money when it comes to commentary.

undertaker

Coach
It's amazing how out of touch ch9 is with the league viewing public on the Vossy v Hadley debate.

Everyone I know who watches league pretty much can't stand Hadley.

Is there anyone out there who actually enjoys his commentary?

Vossy calling NZ games is a blessing on fox. The old kiwi callers were a punish.

The previous three callers before Voss on Sky NZ - Husband, McIvor and Costigan - were crap. The Warriors' inaugural commentator, Graeme Hughes, was faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic (as he would say). Greg Clark (who called Warriors away games in 1996 IIRC, and who used to be the main caller for Fox Sports SL/NRL coverage before he switched to calling Union games and Warren Smith succeeded him) was also good. But yeah, Graeme Hughes is definitely wasted talent since he stopped calling NRL matches after he left Sky NZ at the end of 2000.

Hughes and Warren Boland (who'd make a fantastic sideline commentator), would be a good acquisition for Fox Sports.

Last edited:

doingthere

Juniors
That bloke who is now doing Hadley's missus, I hope every night when he gives it to her good (like Hadley never could) says to himself

and take that from me and that from Voss

its no suprise she walked speaks volumes of hadley

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The previous three callers before Voss on Sky NZ - Husband, McIvor and Costigan - were crap. The Warriors' inaugural commentator, Graeme Hughes, was faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic (as he would say). Greg Clark (who called Warriors away games in 1996 IIRC, and who used to be the main caller for Fox Sports SL/NRL coverage before he switched to calling Union games and Warren Smith succeeded him) was also good. But yeah, Graeme Hughes is definitely wasted talent since he stopped calling NRL matches after he left Sky NZ at the end of 2000.

Hughes and Warren Boland (who'd make a fantastic sideline commentator), would be a good acquisition for Fox Sports.

Ive seen old clips of games in New Zealand and test matches against GB and France, and Greg Clark was their caller, mightve been a regular before Hughes headed to NZ after Ch 10 lost the Rugby League rights.

I agree about Boland. Such a good commentator and I remember good presenter for ABC Saturday matches.

He was still on the ABC when they did the QLD cup matches along with David Wright.

I think he's now with 4BC in Brisbane but would be good if he was back on TV. Still has the famous mo.

undertaker

Coach
I think he's now with 4BC in Brisbane but would be good if he was back on TV. Still has the famous mo.

Remember what they say, Parra_fan? The mo maketh the man

668578-57e62976-a76d-11e3-8dfc-d9063670fb71.jpg

I was very surprised that he was given the arse from the ABC, given his non-RL programs in QLD had high ratings.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Ive seen old clips of games in New Zealand and test matches against GB and France, and Greg Clark was their caller, mightve been a regular before Hughes headed to NZ after Ch 10 lost the Rugby League rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PH_bgH_nwk

Maybe I'm wrong about Greg Clark.

From this Wests vs Penrith game from '96, you can see Clarkey at the beginning calling the Wests vs Auckland match from earlier that year, albeit for another tv network. It's strange as I always thought that Sky NZ had the exclusive RL rights when the Warriors came into the comp in '95. I didn't know their matches were also on another station. Again, maybe someone who lives in NZ would able to clear this up. However, as you said, there's footage on YouTube of Greg Clark calling those NZ vs GB tests in '92 during the Lions tour of the SH, as well as a Tonga vs Samoa test at Carlaw Park from the early '90s, and the '95 WC semi-final.

All I know about Hughes was that he called Warriors home games for Sky during 1995-2000, and also called Warriors away games as recently as '99 (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJSrZw8_Gc). When Sky just started taking the Fox Sports/Ch9 coverage instead of sending their own team over there, I wouldn't know.

After he left Ch10 in '91, besides doing the '92 Ashes and '93 Trans-Tasman series for Ch7, Hughes called Winfield Cup matches that Ch9 broadcasted in Australia on Friday night and Sunday, for one of the NZ FTA networks during 1992-94. The difference being that both Friday night and Sunday games were broadcasted live and in full over in NZ whereas in Australia, Friday night footy was on 1hr delay and the Sunday game was just 1hr highlights at 6:30pm. If you look at a lot of the Winfield Cup footage on YouTube from '92, most of the games Ch9 covered have Hughes' commentary rather than Ch9's.

New Zealanders who have Sky Sports still get much better coverage than us Aussies all these years later. From what I've been told, they get all 8 games in the round live, including both Friday night games and the Ch9 Sunday game!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
Vossy tweeted this:
@AndrewVoss9: Excited to be joining @FOXNRL team this weekend.Heading to @GCTitans v @NZWarriors game. Working with Gary Belcher.We called the Crushers!

shiznit

Coach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PH_bgH_nwk

Maybe I'm wrong about Greg Clark.

From this Wests vs Penrith game from '96, you can see Clarkey at the beginning calling the Wests vs Auckland match from earlier that year, albeit for another tv network. It's strange as I always thought that Sky NZ had the exclusive RL rights when the Warriors came into the comp in '95. I didn't know their matches were also on another station. Again, maybe someone who lives in NZ would able to clear this up. However, as you said, there's footage on YouTube of Greg Clark calling those NZ vs GB tests in '92 during the Lions tour of the SH, as well as a Tonga vs Samoa test at Carlaw Park from the early '90s, and the '95 WC semi-final.

All I know about Hughes was that he called Warriors home games for Sky during 1995-2000, and also called Warriors away games as recently as '99 (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJSrZw8_Gc). When Sky just started taking the Fox Sports/Ch9 coverage instead of sending their own team over there, I wouldn't know.

After he left Ch10 in '91, besides doing the '92 Ashes and '93 Trans-Tasman series for Ch7, Hughes called Winfield Cup matches that Ch9 broadcasted in Australia on Friday night and Sunday, for one of the NZ FTA networks during 1992-94. The difference being that both Friday night and Sunday games were broadcasted live and in full over in NZ whereas in Australia, Friday night footy was on 1hr delay and the Sunday game was just 1hr highlights at 6:30pm. If you look at a lot of the Winfield Cup footage on YouTube from '92, most of the games Ch9 covered have Hughes' commentary rather than Ch9's.

New Zealanders who have Sky Sports still get much better coverage than us Aussies all these years later. From what I've been told, they get all 8 games in the round live, including both Friday night games and the Ch9 Sunday game!

Yeah but it costs me about $80 a month...

Latest posts