What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

forward pass

Coach
fmd. I can't believe the complete rubbish being posted in this thread by posters who have a so-called 'in-depth' knowledge of the game. Absolute non-sense.

Yeah - lets get rid of Hayne - he is holding us back. My God.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
fmd. I can't believe the complete rubbish being posted in this thread by posters who have a so-called 'in-depth' knowledge of the game. Absolute non-sense.

Yeah - lets get rid of Hayne - he is holding us back. My God.

Other teams seem to do okay without him. In fact over the past two years every club has done better than the club with Jarryd Hayne chewing up its cap.

I'm not saying he's not great - I think he's the best player in the game - but is there any evidence that having the game's best player automatically leads to success? Under a salary cap you could argue that success comes down to having the best value players rather than just having the best players. People who can't see that are thinking with their emotions.

Gronk

Staff member
Andrew Johns is on record last week in saying that Hayne is the most complete footballer he's ever seen.

But nah, you wouldn't want him in your team ....

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
On a side topic, but sort of salary cap related, how do Third Party deals work? Is there limit to the amounts one business/person can spend on players? Is there a limit to the amount of money that can be give to players by third party sponsors?

Gronk

Staff member
On a side topic, but sort of salary cap related, how do Third Party deals work? Is there limit to the amounts one business/person can spend on players? Is there a limit to the amount of money that can be give to players by third party sponsors?
Unlimited.

Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.
http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Chipmunk

Coach

It's probably a fair comment on how Hayne would be able to play in the NFL though.

Given the type of position (running back, full back) he would play though I doubt Hayne would get a run. It's not like he has a specific skill that players outside of the NFL are actually better at (AFL and punt kickers is the prime example). Hayne's strength with running in the NRL is that he can and most likely will pass the ball to someone in a better position when given the chance, which has the defence in two minds. In the NFL, once he would have the ball in his hands he can only run with it. The defence in the NFL in the middle (where he would most likely play) is also far better drilled and stronger than any team in the NRL.

There is also slight difference between the UTS Gridiron team and the NFL! I'm guessing most High School Teams in Texas could put 50 points on the UTS team by halftime!

Chipmunk

Coach

Ok, so this is probably a reason why someone like Nick Politis no longer bothers sponsoring the Roosters in anyway, as he could potentially just give them a car worth an unlimited amount of money and it will have nothing to do with the cap.

What is the point in actually having businesses sponsor your club then? Surely you are just better off having them "sponsor" your players then.

Is this new "Premiership Club" to be headed by the Macquarie Bank guy some sort of outlet to get Third Party Sponsors?

TheFrog

Coach
what the panthers are doing this year however is the exception not the norm
name the last club to win a premiership without a superstar or two? the dragons in '10 i guess...and before that?

The Tigers in '05 did not have a single Origin player but did have Benji.

The Panthers in '03 had only Scott Sattler on the bench for Queensland in one match, and no Benji. Craig Gower was the closest thing to a superstar (he did win the Dally M which was subsequently not awarded).

The '10 Dragons were a champion team, quite comfortably the best team in the comp that year.

Gronk

Staff member
It's probably a fair comment on how Hayne would be able to play in the NFL though.

Given the type of position (running back, full back) he would play though I doubt Hayne would get a run. It's not like he has a specific skill that players outside of the NFL are actually better at (AFL and punt kickers is the prime example). Hayne's strength with running in the NRL is that he can and most likely will pass the ball to someone in a better position when given the chance, which has the defence in two minds. In the NFL, once he would have the ball in his hands he can only run with it. The defence in the NFL in the middle (where he would most likely play) is also far better drilled and stronger than any team in the NRL.

There is also slight difference between the UTS Gridiron team and the NFL! I'm guessing most High School Teams in Texas could put 50 points on the UTS team by halftime!

If you watch NFL you'll see that most teams have 3 or 4 Haynes, stepping off both feet at pace whilst running their 40 yard dashes in under 5 seconds.

With all due respect to our boy, I think he's better off playing NRL, ESL or RU.

Gronk

Staff member
Ok, so this is probably a reason why someone like Nick Politis no longer bothers sponsoring the Roosters in anyway, as he could potentially just give them a car worth an unlimited amount of money and it will have nothing to do with the cap.

What is the point in actually having businesses sponsor your club then? Surely you are just better off having them "sponsor" your players then.

Is this new "Premiership Club" to be headed by the Macquarie Bank guy some sort of outlet to get Third Party Sponsors?

Bingo. You hear players from, say, Sharks saying that they don't have the big money like Roosters, Eels or Dogs. On the surface that doesn't make sense, seeing that the NRL pays the clubs the whole of their NRL cap. Beyond that, the well connected clubs will conjure up 3rd party deals on top of the the registered NRL contract.

The problem with this however, is players like Fafita read the small print to see that 50% of their "salary" is 3rd party AND that they club does not guarantee payment. Accordingly, scenarios of Gasnier and in RU Matt Giteau can get shafted when 3rd party deals are not honoured.

IIRC there was a 3rd party deal with Hayne's current contract that went sour. I assume that the problem was quickly resolved.
Star fullback Jarryd Hayne has been short-handed $200,000 by the Parramatta Eels, after the club failed to honour a series of third-party payments.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/p...00-out-of-pocket-after-contract-breach-2014-3

The above is erroneous of course because any 3rd party deal is supposed to be arranged by a players manager and not the club.

The farce of course is that all 3rd party deals are arranged by the clubs, yet somehow the NRL turn a blind eye to this.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dave Smith excused the blind eye by stating they didn't want to restrict the amount of money coming into the game. That's fair enough if you follow a club that is able to source plenty of 'third party' cash.

Chipmunk

Coach
So we need to essentially find some 'third party' money that will get little to no benefit of actually sponsoring the Club.

I note the Daily Telegraph is a Club sponsor. Surely this organisation would get F$%k all out of sponsoring the Parramatta Eels. They can get access to the Club and it's players as much as it wants without sponsorship. Surely the Daily Telegraph should have been encouraged to spend that money on players, like The Plane and Hoppa. I'm sure they could "write" some promotional articles for The Telegraph or something.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Double post

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore

That's only partially correct.

You see, it would all depend on the coach and his playbook.

Two types of plays where he doesn't "just run" the ball are flea flickers and laterals.

Chipmunk

Coach
That's only partially correct.

You see, it would all depend on the coach and his playbook.

Two types of plays where he doesn't "just run" the ball are flea flickers and laterals.

Essentially both trick plays.

Yes, Jarryd Hayne would be a valuable player for those 2 types of plays a year in the NFL. But I doubt an NFL team would fork out more money than he is on now in the NRL for a player who doesn't currently play the sport and never has, to come on and do 2 trick plays in a season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne's best position would be as a kick returner on special teams. Would he be good enough for the NFL though? Probably not.

Delboy

First Grade
If you watch NFL you'll see that most teams have 3 or 4 Haynes, stepping off both feet at pace whilst running their 40 yard dashes in under 5 seconds.

With all due respect to our boy, I think he's better off playing NRL, ESL or RU.

After working in the. States for a while, no way would Hayne play NFL in front of a minimum 100 college players. The game is so position specific and the background needed can't be overcome by an ability to play league.

Just an effort to talk up any salary negotiations:crazy:

Suitman

Post Whore
After working in the. States for a while, no way would Hayne play NFL in front of a minimum 100 college players. The game is so position specific and the background needed can't be overcome by an ability to play league.

Just an effort to talk up any salary negotiations:crazy:

Come on mate - his manager wouldn't do that. :sarcasm:

Suity