What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

Chipmunk

Coach
Hayne's best position would be as a kick returner on special teams. Would he be good enough for the NFL though? Probably not.

I actually think kick returns are the weakest part of his game. What he did against the Knights last week, he has probably only done once since 2009. That's not enough. Plus it's much harder to do when the 10 players who are coming at you in defence have all just come onto the field fresh.

Hayne's strength is his ability to run or pass or do both, which has a defence in two minds.

Chipmunk

Coach
After working in the. States for a while, no way would Hayne play NFL in front of a minimum 100 college players. The game is so position specific and the background needed can't be overcome by an ability to play league.

Just an effort to talk up any salary negotiations:crazy:

The reason that former AFL Full Forwards have been able to adapt to the NFL is the position they play (punt kicker) is heavily neglected, particularly in the junior and high school years, so AFL players are essentially better at this position already than most NFL College players. You only have to look at the impression that a kid who couldn't even get a start in an AFL youth system (Brad Wing) made in College Football as a Punt Kicker, who is now in the NFL.

I can see NRL players making the switch as Goal/Place Kickers only. Actually I could see Pat Richards becoming sensational in the NFL.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I actually think kick returns are the weakest part of his game. What he did against the Knights last week, he has probably only done once since 2009. That's not enough. Plus it's much harder to do when the 10 players who are coming at you in defence have all just come onto the field fresh.

Actually it's easier because your teammates are all allowed to block.

But I agree his running game has declined since his recent knee and hamstring injuries. He isn't the same player since pre-season 2012.

Hayne's strength is his ability to run or pass or do both, which has a defence in two minds.

I think these days his strength is that he has no weaknesses. There's nothing he doesn't do well, but he no longer has the unearthly speed and footwork he once did.

Chipmunk

Coach
Actually it's easier because your teammates are all allowed to block.

But I agree his running game has declined since his recent knee and hamstring injuries. He isn't the same player since pre-season 2012.

I think these days his strength is that he has no weaknesses. There's nothing he doesn't do well, but he no longer has the unearthly speed and footwork he once did.

I'd have to agree you on this.

strider

Post Whore
Stuart won a premiership at the Roosters and Origin with the Blues, and Kearney won a World Cup with the Kiwis.

So now you make the point about Gould and Bennett 'holding their hands' which just proves their assistants weren't good enough at Parra.

But more likely was our poor form was caused by Hayne's injury (plus other key leadership figures) as well as off-field distractions caused by constant boardroom backstabbing.

I don't think Ricky has even won a chook raffle in the last decade .... I must have been asleep the year he coached us to the origin series :sarcasm:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Essentially both trick plays.

Yes, Jarryd Hayne would be a valuable player for those 2 types of plays a year in the NFL. But I doubt an NFL team would fork out more money than he is on now in the NRL for a player who doesn't currently play the sport and never has, to come on and do 2 trick plays in a season.

The Dolphins are historically big on trick plays.

It's really up to the coach and his gameplan.

Chipmunk

Coach
The Dolphins are historically big on trick plays.

It's really up to the coach and his gameplan.

As you would know, the Dolphins haven't had success in a long time. Perhaps their priorities are wrong if they are concentrating on trick plays!

Have they done anything with Marino?

pedge

Juniors
The players are the intellectual property of the NRL, who currently earns around 12 per cent royalty on any sponsorship deals the players make, and prohibit them from linking with brands that compete with the NRL's sponsors.

That is ludicrous!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is obviously The Plane's first round of negotiations for a new contract.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...nrl-into-the-21st-century-20140707-zsyqx.html

Looks like Hayne loves Parra and doesn't want to go anywhere else as long as we're willing to match whatever stupid offers he's getting from elsewhere.

And merkins wonder why we've struggled to put a good team around him since he re-signed in '09. But but but he should write his own cheque!!! :crazy:

Eelementary

Post Whore
As you would know, the Dolphins haven't had success in a long time. Perhaps their priorities are wrong if they are concentrating on trick plays!

Have they done anything with Marino?

I'm an Oakland fan, so...

I'm not disputing that they haven't had success for a long time (though they did make the Play-Offs a few years back), but he could do more than just run.

The Saints are also prone to use a few flea flicker plays, and ironically, the last time Miami was doing especially well, they played with two tailbacks and used flea flickers and laterals almost exclusively.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Hayne is the most complete player I've ever seen, and now Joey has said it, I for have to feel weird saying it.

Haynzy

First Grade
Looks like Hayne loves Parra and doesn't want to go anywhere else as long as we're willing to match whatever stupid offers he's getting from elsewhere.

And merkins wonder why we've struggled to put a good team around him since he re-signed in '09. But but but he should write his own cheque!!! :crazy:

He's not saying Parra need to front up with more cash though.

Chipmunk

Coach
Then what is he saying? Just some random comments about playing somewhere other than Parramatta hey?

He's saying to the NRL to leave him the F%^K alone so he can earn as much cash as he can without the NRL interfering or taking their cut.

If this 12% of earnings go to the NRL is accurate, then that it just complete bulls#$t. It's only a matter of time before some players take the game to the court really. Who allowed this 12% thing to happen? The NRL players association must have rocks in their heads.

yy_cheng

Coach
Hayne: Eels have improved, not me
Date
July 8, 2014 - 2:50PM
Read later
Ben Horne
submit to redditEmail articlePrint

Jarryd Hayne has gone to another level this year to the point of now being spoken about as the best player in rugby league.

How has this happened?

According to the NSW star, any difference isn't with him but with his Parramatta teammates.

This season they've stood up.

Advertisement
The previous two years, Hayne says those around him simply didn't give him a chance to get better.

"You need a team that can play good. Last couple of years at Parra blokes haven't shown up. They didn't want to run hard, didn't want to tackle hard," Hayne told AAP when asked how he'd improved his game.

"They've wanted to do that this year and now it makes me look good.

"I've always said my form comes off the team.

"I can't do much if I'm trying to make plays on the 20 metre line trying to score tries - it's too far out.

"But I get opportunities and blokes want to run genuine lines, that's what happens. We open games up and it makes me look good.

"But I always give credit to the boys when credit's due and that's how it works."

Blues coach Laurie Daley and legend Andrew Johns have been among those to praise Hayne as arguably the NRL's best.

However, for the man himself, being recognised as the No.1 in his field isn't even on his radar.

Hayne craves team success - and now he's finally tasted State of Origin glory, he isn't interested in how he's written up, but what Parramatta can achieve.

"No one tries to be that (No.1). I don't play footy to be paraded around to say I'm the best or to beat my chest up," he said.

"I go out there to try and win games and that's more important to me than anything else."

Despite his heroics for NSW, Hayne expects Billy Slater to retain the Kangaroos fullback spot for the end of year Four Nations and hopes he can revert to the right centre position he starred in at last year's World Cup.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/hayne-eels-have-improved-not-me-20140708-3bkia.html

spiderdan

Bench
He's saying to the NRL to leave him the F%^K alone so he can earn as much cash as he can without the NRL interfering or taking their cut.

If this 12% of earnings go to the NRL is accurate, then that it just complete bulls#$t. It's only a matter of time before some players take the game to the court really. Who allowed this 12% thing to happen? The NRL players association must have rocks in their heads.
the 12% is bullshit (as in no that it isn't there but that it is), more so that the nrl stop players signing third party deals with sponsors that are in competition with the nrl. big mistake as it would put a ceiling on the potential revenue the code could be making by giving nrl sponsors in effect a monopoly on the game's sponsorship. if it is right then I'm not surprised given the running of the nrl for years now by what seem to be red arsed baboons.

seems like yet another reason the nrl is streets behind not just nfl and epl, but also domestically the afl.

Latest posts