What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is It With The Hatred Of Cats?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Having been brought up all my early years with cats, dogs, budgies, goldfish, mice and parrots as pets, why is the domestic cat so hated?

I have never lived in a house in living memory without a cat(s) and/or dog(s) in the house. As I type this, I have two cats like bookends watching what I am doing.

Don't start on killing native wildlife....try looking at what dogs can do.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
cats are evil.

they wiped out the ancient Egyptians

Someone

Bench

sorry, but you cant have a discussion without including all the facts.

Both domestic and wild cats are detrimental to the native population of birds.

Im not sure why that can be compared to how a dog can be dangerous. Dogs can be trained and the onus is on the owner of the dog to ensure its a safe dog, you cant take the killer instincts out of a cat.

that is one of the main reasons.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
sorry, but you cant have a discussion without including all the facts.

Both domestic and wild cats are detrimental to the native population of birds.

Im not sure why that can be compared to how a dog can be dangerous. Dogs can be trained and the onus is on the owner of the dog to ensure its a safe dog, you cant take the killer instincts out of a cat.

that is one of the main reasons.

In the 80s, I had a dingo cross who would take her food bowl from the back balcony and put it in the middle of the backyard and hide behind the BBQ. She would wait for a bird to have a peck at said food then pounce, much like a cat.

She didn't discriminate between breeds....doves, magpies, crows and parrots were all victims. She was a born predator, digging up sand crabs and hunting down rabbits.

What she did was eat the prey she caught, rather than kill for the sheer joy of it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
In the 80s, I had a dingo cross who would take her food bowl from the back balcony and put it in the middle of the backyard and hide behind the BBQ. She would wait for a bird to have a peck at said food then pounce, much like a cat.

She didn't discriminate between breeds....doves, magpies, crows and parrots were all victims. She was a born predator, digging up sand crabs and hunting down rabbits.

What she did was eat the prey she caught, rather than kill for the sheer joy of it.

The explanation lies in your first sentence...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Having been brought up all my early years with cats, dogs, budgies, goldfish, mice and parrots as pets, why is the domestic cat so hated?

I have never lived in a house in living memory without a cat(s) and/or dog(s) in the house. As I type this, I have two cats like bookends watching what I am doing.

Can do, but don't

Look at what cats actually do, kill native fauna every day. The damage feral cats do is horrendous.

Cats will also maim for fun and leave animals to die particularly birds as I have had to take quite a few to our local animal welfare centre.

Should never have been allowed in our country.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Can do, but don't

Look at what cats actually do, kill native fauna every day. The damage feral cats do is horrendous.

Cats will also maim for fun and leave animals to die particularly birds as I have had to take quite a few to our local animal welfare centre.

Should never have been allowed in our country.

We could start by picking on other feral species such as goats and pigs. These animals are not native to this country either and they cause immense damage to farms.

Neither are cane toads.

Certain species are instinctively natural predators. Including felines. Thankfully nobody introduced the Panthera tigris tigris into Australia (aka Bengal Tiger). :p

Everyone has just about covered off on the reasons other than the plain fact that they are just a merkin of an animal.

Nothing tops the unquestioned loyalty and love of a dog (whom is well looked after of course.)

Veggie, your dingo cross killed birds because that's what his breed has been doing for 5,000 years as a wild dog.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We could start by picking on other feral species such as goats and pigs. These animals are not native to this country either and they cause immense damage to farms.

Neither are cane toads.

Certain species are instinctively natural predators. Including felines. Thankfully nobody introduced the Panthera tigris tigris into Australia (aka Bengal Tiger). :p

you left out camels but along with the other animals you mentioned, they dont kill and maim our native fauna

the biggest problem with cats is their owners who let them out to kill or simply release them because they are no longer fuzzy little kittens

dogs have to be kept on leads or in a backyards but cats dont, something wrong there

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't like cats as a pet but I don't hate them. Sadly I've seen some messed up freaks do and encourage horrific behaviour against them.

The reasons I'm not a fan are - they've got a pathetic and annoying meow. I don't like how they brush up against you. They're not dogs.

I may be biased against cats because of this incident. My mother once saved a baby galah that fell out of the nest and reared it. It lived in a large avery in the backyard and it attracted other birds and was a much loved pet. The merkin of a cat we had which was very well fed and looked after killed this galah just because it could and left its face outside the cage.

Lambretta

First Grade
I've always found that people who grow up with cats tend to like them and those that didn't don't.

I grew up with cats and have had a life long affection for them

I've got two at the moment, a brother and sister

If a cat lives alone, they can often go "feral" and wander off looking for food / company elsewhere. Cats that reside with immediate family members rarely wander off. They tend to stay close to siblings, even if they don't always like being with them.

This makes them great house pets. They're clean and in spite of common belief, they're highly effectionate - especially the males.

Our male cat, sits on a chair under the dining room table, until my wife sits on the sofa, then he makes a beeline straight for her lap where he'll stay until she goes to bed.

Funnily enough, I read somewhere that animals can often sense when a human has a tumour and will steer clear of them. Our male cat NEVER sat on me until after I'd had my tumour removed earlier this year. Now he often comes and sits on me! Smart animals cats.

I just wished they were smart enough to talk!

I like cats

They don't leave shit all over your yard

Better than doing it in a kitty litter tray that stinks up your house. I have never ever gone to a cat owners house and not smelt the smell of cat piss and shit as soon as I walked in the door. Cats are filthy animals, kitty litter is the most disgusting thing ever. And don't tell me yours doesn't smell as you are just used to it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
f**king horrible selfish creatures. 18 hours of licking your own arse is not something I can find endearing.

I once had a stray have kittens in my shed, as I put the little things in box to take to the RSPCA, the feral mother could not have cared less.

A dog would fight for it's pups.

A dog would die for me.

Cats best use is crab bait.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i didnt grow up with cats. only into adulthood did i come across them. i always thought they were aloof and stupid creatures, but they can be quite affectionate and friendly. I now have 5 (along with 4 dogs). theres pros and cons with both species. but i can say i'm pretty sure my dogs have killed more birds than the cats have

i didnt grow up with cats. only into adulthood did i come across them. i always thought they were aloof and stupid creatures, but they can be quite affectionate and friendly. I now have 5 (along with 4 dogs). theres pros and cons with both species. but i can say i'm pretty sure my dogs have killed more birds than the cats have
crazy_cat_lady.jpg

Latest posts