What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is It With The Hatred Of Cats?

Lambretta

First Grade
Cats usually hunt at night - so keep them in during the night
One of mine is especially adept at escaping out the catflap even when it's locked. Little bugger he is

I move the washing machine in front of the door every night and jam a piece of wood behind, so even if he can move the washing machine (he can push it slightly if he really tries) he can't move the wood as well.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Cats usually hunt at night - so keep them in during the night
One of mine is especially adept at escaping out the catflap even when it's locked. Little bugger he is

I move the washing machine in front of the door every night and jam a piece of wood behind, so even if he can move the washing machine (he can push it slightly if he really tries) he can't move the wood as well.

You must either:-

1) Have a very small and light washing machine

2) Have a cat that's on steroids, or

3) Own a tiger or lion.

gUt

Coach
I like cats

They don't leave shit all over your yard

The neighborhood cats shit all over my front gardens. f**k cats, they are evil, aloof, allergy-causing killing machines. If people kept them inside the yard like they're supposed to then fine. As it is the little merkins wander, fight and f**k all night and stir up all the dogs.

Lambretta

First Grade
You must either:-

1) Have a very small and light washing machine

2) Have a cat that's on steroids, or

3) Own a tiger or lion.

He gets down the side and uses his body to leverage the machine away from the wall

He can only move it a few cm's but that's enough for him to start scrabbling where the wood is. But he can't get past both obstacles

Lambretta

First Grade
The neighborhood cats shit all over my front gardens. f**k cats, they are evil, aloof, allergy-causing killing machines. If people kept them inside the yard like they're supposed to then fine. As it is the little merkins wander, fight and f**k all night and stir up all the dogs.

They're just fertilising your flower beds and they're not charging you for it

Ungrateful bastard that ye are :p

gUt

Coach
They tend to choose the prettiest, most delicate, most recently planted little shrub or flower and stomp all over it dropping shit and piss for me to find when I go weeding.

One thing I will say for them is they hunt through the stormwater drains and keep the rats down.

thorson1987

Coach

This x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I love my dogs as much as my cats, so don't get me wrong.

I have never heard of a domestic cat kill or seriously maim a human.

Have you?

goodplayer

Juniors
i didnt grow up with cats. only into adulthood did i come across them. i always thought they were aloof and stupid creatures, but they can be quite affectionate and friendly. I now have 5 (along with 4 dogs). theres pros and cons with both species. but i can say i'm pretty sure my dogs have killed more birds than the cats have

CRSIR O has estimated 7 million native animals are killed by cats in australia per day :x

thats a f**kin disgrace

the cats eat the brains of possums, leave the rest

possums have become night ninjas :lol:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
CRSIR O has estimated 7 million native animals are killed by cats in australia per day :x

thats a f**kin disgrace

the cats eat the brains of possums, leave the rest

possums have become night ninjas :lol:

So how many native animals are killed by cats during the night? *Insert sarcasm*

What species are included in this estimate? Does it include kangaroos, dingoes, wallabies, dugongs, wombats and emus? Or just funnel webs, death adders, stonefish, saltwater crocodile and box jellyfish?

Please provide a reputable link to this "estimate". Not some bullshit blog by an environmental activist with a Batchelor's degree in Centrelink.

Thank you.

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors
Environment Minister Greg Hunt has pledged new money to help community groups trap and eradicate feral cats.

"There are up to 20 million feral cats taking up to four native Australian animals a night. That is over 20 billion Australian native species being destroyed a year," Mr Hunt said on ABC's Landline on November 2.

It's well recognised that feral cats are a major threat to native wildlife, but are there really almost as many cats as people in Australia?

The Environment Department says feral cats are thought to threaten 81 vulnerable and endangered native animals - 35 bird species; 36 mammal species; 7 reptile species; and 3 amphibian species.

In a 2012 report, the AWC estimates that each feral cat kills between five and 30 animals a day. It says taking the lower figure in that range and multiplying it by a "conservative population estimate" of 15 million feral cats gives a minimum estimate of 75 million native animals killed daily by feral cats.

"We think our five [animals killed a day] is extremely conservative. I've personally been in the field and had a cat cut open [that] had over 40 to 50 frogs in its stomach," Mr Fleming said.
Sources
Radio National Background Briefing, article, 2014
Greg Hunt, Landline, November 2, 2014
John Woinarski, Andrew Burbidge, Peter Harrison, The Action Plan for Australian Mammals 2012, June 2014
Australian Wildlife Conservancy, article, June 2014
Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Feral Cat fact sheet, 2011
WWF, Cats fact sheet
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, Threat Abatement Plan for predation by feral cats, 2008
Cooperative Research Centre for Pest Animal Control, Counting the Cost: Impact of Invasive Animals in Australia, 2004
Australian Wildlife Conservancy, Wildlife Matters newsletter, 2012/13
Tim Doherty, To eradicate feral cats, we need to know how many are out there, 2014
Andrew Bengsen, John Butler, Pip Masters, Estimating and indexing feral cat population abundances using camera traps, 2011
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...illing-over-20-billion-native-animals-a-year/

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Environment Minister Greg Hunt has pledged new money to help community groups trap and eradicate feral cats.

"There are up to 20 million feral cats taking up to four native Australian animals a night. That is over 20 billion Australian native species being destroyed a year," Mr Hunt said on ABC's Landline on November 2.

It's well recognised that feral cats are a major threat to native wildlife, but are there really almost as many cats as people in Australia?

The Environment Department says feral cats are thought to threaten 81 vulnerable and endangered native animals - 35 bird species; 36 mammal species; 7 reptile species; and 3 amphibian species.

In a 2012 report, the AWC estimates that each feral cat kills between five and 30 animals a day. It says taking the lower figure in that range and multiplying it by a "conservative population estimate" of 15 million feral cats gives a minimum estimate of 75 million native animals killed daily by feral cats.

"We think our five [animals killed a day] is extremely conservative. I've personally been in the field and had a cat cut open [that] had over 40 to 50 frogs in its stomach," Mr Fleming said.
Sources
Radio National Background Briefing, article, 2014
Greg Hunt, Landline, November 2, 2014
John Woinarski, Andrew Burbidge, Peter Harrison, The Action Plan for Australian Mammals 2012, June 2014
Australian Wildlife Conservancy, article, June 2014
Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Feral Cat fact sheet, 2011
WWF, Cats fact sheet
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, Threat Abatement Plan for predation by feral cats, 2008
Cooperative Research Centre for Pest Animal Control, Counting the Cost: Impact of Invasive Animals in Australia, 2004
Australian Wildlife Conservancy, Wildlife Matters newsletter, 2012/13
Tim Doherty, To eradicate feral cats, we need to know how many are out there, 2014
Andrew Bengsen, John Butler, Pip Masters, Estimating and indexing feral cat population abundances using camera traps, 2011
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/2...illing-over-20-billion-native-animals-a-year/

Thank you for that but....

"There are up to 20 million feral cats taking up to four native Australian animals a night. That is over 20 billion Australian native species being destroyed a year," Mr Hunt said on ABC's Landline on November 2."

Sorry...but there are probably less than 10,000 species of animals in Australia. About 40% of those are marine animals...not including invertebrates such as insects, worms and the like.

Typo or dumb reporting, who cares...it still doesn't give me a reputable source.

I will research this myself, starting with the news.yahoo link.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Goodplayer, you should've posted the whole article. Just for the record, I'm not a fan of feral cats whatsoever. As stated in my earlier posts, my two cats are totally supervised by myself during daylight hours only. No night time frolics for Dora and Feisty, who by the way, were strays born in my backyard almost 18 months ago by an irresponsible cat owner's "pet".

However, there are various species of the Australian native cat of the genus Dasyurus, which are, in fact, marsupials. They have the same nocturnal hunting habits and prey targets of stray domestic and feral cats.

Just wondering how these marsupials impact on the figures mentioned in your quoted article.

Goodplayer, you should've posted the whole article. Just for the record, I'm not a fan of feral cats whatsoever. As stated in my earlier posts, my two cats are totally supervised by myself during daylight hours only. No night time frolics for Dora and Feisty, who by the way, were strays born in my backyard almost 18 months ago by an irresponsible cat owner's "pet".

However, there are various species of the Australian native cat of the genus Dasyurus, which are, in fact, marsupials. They have the same nocturnal hunting habits and prey targets of stray domestic and feral cats.

Just wondering how these marsupials impact on the figures mentioned in your quoted article.

Don't worry about it. If you're one of the responsible ones you've got nothing to worry about Veg.

They're a merkin of a species, but if it's legal to have one and you don't piss your neighbours off with them (just like any other pet,) I don't see why people can't own them. Irresponsible owners are probably the reason I hate them so much.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Sorry...but there are probably less than 10,000 species of animals in Australia. About 40% of those are marine animals...not including invertebrates such as insects, worms and the like.

Typo or dumb reporting, who cares...it still doesn't give me a reputable source.

I will research this myself, starting with the news.yahoo link.

i researched on wikipedia and found australian cats kill 30 trillion species of animals every year worldwide. when they wipe out populations of kangaroos and koala these bastard felines have been sending cat aids infested blankets to animals overseas. if you've ever wondered why theres no roos hopping down the street its cos the cats killed them all.