What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
:)

1439977983728.jpg

Cartoon: Rod Clement

http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-windo...ight-on-news-corps-nrl-threat-20150819-gj2sax

Brutus

Referee
Have we had an article from DUI Bec yet calling for David Smith the resign?

I guess we'll get one on Saturday. I can predict what it will say.

DUI, Kent and Rothfield can not think for themselves.

Have we had an article from DUI Bec yet calling for David Smith the resign?

I guess we'll get one on Saturday. I can predict what it will say.

DUI, Kent and Rothfield can not think for themselves.

One in the telegraph this morning. Can't read it because its subscriber content but I imagine it goes along the lines of the NRL making a terrible error and the AFL being way ahead in every way. Probably finishes off by suggesting Dave Smith should end himself and the NRL should just dissolve the game.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I don't understand the fascination with Rebeccca Wilson - just ignore her columns. It's like people complaining about The Footy Show - I haven't watched it for over 10 years.

killbill

Juniors
Good to see Murdoch is just as despised by most in Australia as here and still up to his bullying ways. This reminds me of his complete cluster that was LA dodgers not sure if you are familiar but here is a good basic summation from Forbes.

Rupert Murdoch's Costly Mistake With The Los Angeles Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers, as you may have heard, were sold last night to a group led by former NBA star, Magic Johnson, for the unheard of amount of $2 billion. The high price is predicated on the assumed ability of the new owner of the team to quickly negotiate a deal worth more than $3.5 billion over 20 years with a regional sports network. That regional sports network is most likely going to be Fox.

Rupert Murdoch—who, through News Corp., once owned the Dodgers—must be kicking himself.

The reason? Back in 2004, News Corp. sold the Dodgers to Frank McCourt for $430 million. And now he’ll most likely be laying out something north of $3 billion just to televise the team. Had he just held on for just a few more years…

The beneficiary of all of this, of course, is Frank McCourt, who stands to make more than $800 million on the deal for his bankrupt team. Who would have thought that McCourt—in his own semi-lucky way—would’ve outfoxed Murdoch?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebu...-costly-mistake-with-the-los-angeles-dodgers/

Sounds familiar doesn't it

nrlnrl

First Grade
They're backed by the biggest media conglomerate in the world. They have the money and will pay what ever the NRL can negotiate out of them.

Promise. They are going to pay more than what they are paying now. How much more is what can be pulled out of them. And we have great people in place to get as much as we can get.

I hope it's handled better than the shoulder charge fiasco.

killbill

Juniors
Further to that more recently on the same team:

Time Warner Cable to Take Staggering Loss on Bad Dodger Deal

Mar 24, 2015 •

Time Warner Cable is set to take a massive loss on its deal for TV rights to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Writing in the New York Post, Claire Atkinson reports the the writedown is expected to be as high as $1 billion.

“Time Warner Cable and Dodgers fans are facing a second season of silence from West Coast TV distributors who, so far, are balking at the price for carrying Time Warner Cable’s SportsNet LA, which carries the Dodgers games exclusively,” Atkinson writes. “The cable operator paid rights owners, led by Guggenheim Partners, $8.35 billion over 25 years, but has not been able to get rival pay-TV operators to carry the network at around $5 per subscriber per month.”

That’s left some 70 percent of Southern California households without games.

Also, 21st Century Fox had been a competitor for the Dodgers TV rights.

Sources told The Post that the market rate for the channel is more likely $3 per subscriber per month, meaning the charge will be almost $1 billion when adjusted over the life of the contract or in the region of $700 million in present-day terms.

“Comcast will be made whole,” said the source, suggesting this mess had to be cleaned up as a condition of Comcast’s proposed deal to acquire Time Warner Cable.

“Unless the deal closes, there will not be another [Dodgers] season shown outside of Time Warner Cable. I don’t believe they’ll get carriage,” a source told The Post.

Time Warner Cable declined to comment on financial details but CFO Artie Minson said on the firm’s second-quarter 2014 earnings call that it would reforecast revenue and operating income for the full year.

“So on a full year basis and including lost advertising revenue, I expect SportsNet LA to cost us around 50 basis points of revenue growth and 125 basis points of adjusted Ebitda growth,” he said.

Comcast’s proposed deal to buy Time Warner Cable offers TWC shareholders 2.875 Comcast common shares for each Time Warner Cable share.

One Wall Street source said: “You basically saw in their financials what a year looks like when they’re paying the Dodgers but not getting paid.”

This person added: “The price of [regional sports networks] were going up. Time Warner Cable wanted to lock in cost increases, they cut a deal that was a bridge too far and they ended up standing on the bridge.”

http://nypost.com/2015/03/24/time-warner-cable-expected-to-take-1b-loss-for-bad-dodger-deal/

Interesting when you try and force at on people - from I got from gleaming through the story is Murdoch will try and ram AFL down every ones throats in Australia. However without League won't he have to raise prices - this article shows what can happen and thats in a sport they like.

News Corp is a US company now and such a big deal is material and will be scrutinized so this will get very interesting if it isn't making a lot. I find it strange on the same weekend I have read more about Rugby League ever with Jarryd Hayne I then read about this tantrum from Murdoch against Rugby League when his channels carry NRL here and NFL. Extraordinary really, this tells you his days are surely numbered.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
One in the telegraph this morning. Can't read it because its subscriber content but I imagine it goes along the lines of the NRL making a terrible error and the AFL being way ahead in every way. Probably finishes off by suggesting Dave Smith should end himself and the NRL should just dissolve the game.

Spot on boss.

Im happy to see how this plays out. F9x still owe is 250 mill over the next 2 seasons. That myst sting them lol. Brilliant.

Cancelling my Fox subscription today. Can't wait.

Canard

Immortal
After 20 years of complaining that MNF is a dud and our schedule favours TV over fans, we finally have a great deal for fans and News arc up that we are upsetting our pay TV partner.

Deadset the NRL could cure Cancer and AIDS and they would say "Why are you ignoring Ebola???"

After 20 years of complaining that MNF is a dud and our schedule favours TV over fans, we finally have a great deal for fans and News arc up that we are upsetting our pay TV partner.

Deadset the NRL could cure Cancer and AIDS and they would say "Why are you ignoring Ebola???"

Are you implying that News ever cared about the fans?

They care about the money that is to be made out of the game, nothing more, nothing less.

redvscotty

First Grade
You know things are f**ken all over the place when you are happy for the Channel 9 deal and Ray Hadley is making sense.

MarkC

Juniors
We can safely ignore any statements from News Corp aligned journos on Foxtel, or in Rupert's rags.

I all smacks of desperation from Foxtel and News Corp, the longer we ignore them the more desperate they will be.

Brutus

Referee
I don't understand the fascination with Rebeccca Wilson - just ignore her columns. It's like people complaining about The Footy Show - I haven't watched it for over 10 years.

She is everywhere. Radio tv and print.

Latest posts