What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
lmao cry more bitch. I've only ever had one username here.

Your implication that I don't support the game rests on an extremely tenuous assumption that because i don't shit the bed everytime the AFL gets a better deal (which is p much every time), I mustn't be a fan. Perhaps I'm simply able to separate emotion and logic?

big hit!

Bench
I don't care what sort of love anyone has for the game, I've got no tolerance for anyone who has consumes any services owned by News Corp. Even just surfing their site for free, you are contributing to what they are today and the influence they have on Australian life. These merkins decide governments FFS! Just about every government (ex 2010) of the last few elections have been one by the side they back. Morons in this country who cannot think for themselves.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Morons in this country who cannot think for themselves.

that's our problem, not news corp. they're doing what benefits them, they're entitled to do that as a business.

the problem is people don't want to think for themselves, they want to be told how to think, because it's easier to do so.

some11

Referee
I've heard the pick up rate for women at those things is through the roof!

GCEwgjB.gif

RoosTah

Juniors
that's our problem, not news corp. they're doing what benefits them, they're entitled to do that as a business.

the problem is people don't want to think for themselves, they want to be told how to think, because it's easier to do so.

News Corp don't have anywhere near as much influence as people give them credit for. If their power was as profound as they like to pretend, then the Storm would have a far greater following, we'd have wall to wall liberal governments and Barack Obama would never have won a second term.

This idea that they'll be converting NRL fans to the AFL is about as fanciful as them growing the game in New Zealand.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I was speaking generally, the media isn't to blame for peoples stupidity - people are too stupid to dissect the discourse and work it out for themselves. That's the real issue at hand, media is only doing what serves their interests.

betcats

Referee
I was speaking generally, the media isn't to blame for peoples stupidity - people are too stupid to dissect the discourse and work it out for themselves. That's the real issue at hand, media is only doing what serves their interests.

Agree 100%. I think also people have these silly moral/ethical standards which they expect the media to live up to(despite the fact the media never has) and when they don't they get outraged over and over again which creates more interest in the article they are blowing up about.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
People, people let's not let this thread degenerate because of one guys multiple accounts, whose only concern is his low hanging ballsack

Let's remember what this is really about, to keep the News hate going.

betcats

Referee
People, people let's not let this thread degenerate because of one guys multiple accounts, whose only concern is his low hanging ballsack

Let's remember what this is really about, to keep the News hate going.

Don't have to worry about that mate its basically a religion round here.

Brutus

Referee
News Corp don't have anywhere near as much influence as people give them credit for. If their power was as profound as they like to pretend, then the Storm would have a far greater following, we'd have wall to wall liberal governments and Barack Obama would never have won a second term.

This idea that they'll be converting NRL fans to the AFL is about as fanciful as them growing the game in New Zealand.

Why would we have wall to wall liberal governments?

Murdoch openly supported Rudd to beat Howard in 2007.

morley101

Juniors
AFL isn't going to grow too much internationally. Only cricket playing nations would be capable to have facilities (ovals) to play the game. Where Rugby/ League can be played on soccer pitches which are available around the globe. The increase of countries playing league in the past 10 years has been amazing and I believe a amateur RL World should take place at the same time as the professional one is played.

League has grown tremendously in New Zealand in the last 20 years.
I believe the New Zealand League should come under the NRL much like NSWRL and Queensland are now. The NZ league needs more resources and much of the NZ TV money be funnelled back to help grow the domestic competition.

Cletus

First Grade

The afl cheif said yesterday they have 30,000 afl players I'm Auckland at the national press club:lol:. The power News has is they only need to influence 1% of voters to have a serious effect on elections, and they can do that. The thing is newspaper circulations are dropping at 10% p.a and they no longer have classified ads so I doubt they'll be around in 5 years.

elbusto

Coach
The afl cheif said yesterday they have 30,000 afl players I'm Auckland at the national press club:lol:. The power News has is they only need to influence 1% of voters to have a serious effect on elections, and they can do that. The thing is newspaper circulations are dropping at 10% p.a and they no longer have classified ads so I doubt they'll be around in 5 years.

Looks like dear old gil is a bloody liar then.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This fella is a banker, he steals money for a living and was supposedly very good at his job, plus he was in the army so he will not be intimidated by an old man or any of his henchmen, old Rupes has finally met his match :p

RoosTah

Juniors
This fella is a banker, he steals money for a living and was supposedly very good at his job, plus he was in the army so he will not be intimidated by an old man or any of his henchmen, old Rupes has finally met his match :p

To be frank, the fact Rebecca Wilson was calling for his head this morning suggests to me that Smith is doing a bloody brilliant job.

The natives at News are scared, and that's no bad thing.

When News was running the game the following happened:
Expansion halted and WA/SA markets lost for long time when Reds/Rams cull.
2nd Brisbane team gone so Broncos monopolize the league market while letting other codes in to carve there place.
The code standing still for majority of it's existence with no future plans at all always being reactionary under the Gallop administration.
Crowds did increase after the effects of the SL-war wore off but there was no long-term planning in regards to expanison and growing the game under News instead they constantly undermined and undersold TV rights time and time again despite the conflict of interest.

AFL got the biggest free ride as of result the NRL/News Limited 'partnership' and eventual break-up as seen by the spiteful nature it which News responded to the NRL despite breaking rugby league in half back in the 90's just to get a piece of it. News can give it but can't handle it when someone giving back, in particular Smith & co who ain't backing down to News.

MarkC

Juniors
To be frank, the fact Rebecca Wilson was calling for his head this morning suggests to me that Smith is doing a bloody brilliant job.

The natives at News are scared, and that's no bad thing.

Yes, nothing like a common enemy to unite league fans.

For the record, I never liked Rupert, any enemy of Rupert's is a very good friend of mine and 90% of the worlds population probably feel the same way.

Go Smithy!!!!

Brutus

Referee
When News was running the game the following happened:
Expansion halted and WA/SA markets lost for long time when Reds/Rams cull.
2nd Brisbane team gone so Broncos monopolize the league market while letting other codes in to carve there place.
The code standing still for majority of it's existence with no future plans at all always being reactionary under the Gallop administration.
Crowds did increase after the effects of the SL-war wore off but there was no long-term planning in regards to expanison and growing the game under News instead they constantly undermined and undersold TV rights time and time again despite the conflict of interest.

AFL got the biggest free ride as of result the NRL/News Limited 'partnership' and eventual break-up as seen by the spiteful nature it which News responded to the NRL despite breaking rugby league in half back in the 90's just to get a piece of it. News can give it but can't handle it when someone giving back, in particular Smith & co who ain't backing down to News.

But DUI Bec said today that News Corp has done so much for RL and the game should be eternally grateful.

The morning of the Dally M's, the NRL should pull their support and cancel players/clubs from going.

They should ban the sale of Big League at NRL grounds.

They should ban all players from speaking to News Ltd journalists.

No more photos. No mores stories.

LOL.