What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg

adamkungl

Immortal
Does anyone have anything positive to say about him?

From my point of view, his tenure as chief of football at the NRL has been nothing but failure.

The first notable thing to happen was the Barba cover-up (from his time at the Dogs) revealed in his first couple of months at the NRL.

From then on he has overseen numerous rule changes which have been at best pointless (7-tackle sets) but usually downright bad (video ref referrals, shoulder charge).

He has maintained and contributed to an environment of poor attitudes and a confusing rulebook that results in refs being poorer than ever, having no confidence in their own ability, and rampantly wasting time with the video, which continues to get things bafflingly wrong anyway despite a dozen replays.

The above two points are pushing fans away from attending Rugby League matches and watching games outside their own club.

The current shoulder charge crackdown debacle shows that the NRL doesn't understand the sport well enough to write or enforce its own rules.

Dave Smith needs to get on this before Greenberg further taints his own good work in improving the NRLs off-field game.

Time to go Todd.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Him and his merkin team should be kicked out
41SDUIB.gif

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I used to like the colour green. He has now ruined that for me too.

He needs to pack his stuff and get our of NRL Central ASAP. He has been nothing but a destructive force since he walked into the joint.

Liddell

Juniors
He was supposed to be best RL operator in the land because the Dogs crowds went incident free for a few years.

The guy is a dud.

He will be a perfect fall guy for all NRL problems and take the heat away from Davey.

Is that a positive?

Last edited:

Edwahu

Bench
We seem to get a few of these overhyped administrators who turn out to be duds. He is another Michael Searle.

betcats

Referee
Was the Intergrity commission there pre Greenberg? Like was he involved in that epic failure as well?

Either way he has not lived up to expectations from day dot, the opposite in fact.

adamkungl

Immortal
Dave Smith's job is to make money. He is doing a seemingly good job of that, though has a lot riding on the success of the next part of the TV deal and News are in full attack mode. He doesn't need to be a football person.

The head of football, on the other hand, needs to be. He is currently doing an awful job.

betcats

Referee
Dave Smith's job is to make money. He is doing a seemingly good job of that, though has a lot riding on the success of the next part of the TV deal and News are in full attack mode. He doesn't need to be a football person.

The head of football, on the other hand, needs to be. He is currently doing an awful job.

That's true but its up to Dave to get the right people in place. He hired Todd, its on him as much as it is Todd now imo. None of these changes happen without his approval so he should live and die by what Todd does to the game. You cant excuse Smith from this in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
That's true but its up to Dave to get the right people in place. He hired Todd, its on him as much as it is Todd now imo. None of these changes happen without his approval so he should live and die by what Todd does to the game. You cant excuse Smith from this in any way shape or form.

You're right, and if this mess isn't sorted it will drag Smith down too.

I mainly am referring to the constant attacks on Smith for not knowing every detail about Rugby League ever.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I personally do not see any reason that this role needs to be filled by an administrator like Greenberg as such.

The NRL is chock full of administration types. What the role needs is someone who has been thee done that with regards playing and understanding the league world.

Greenberg is as far removed from what league fans want as Dave Smith is.

An ex-player with some intelligence and respect is what's needed for the job.

I'd say a bloke like Jason King would be good in the role. Tough player with a law degree and importantly an understanding of what rules work and what is crap.

I'm sure there are plenty of other names that could be thrown up of a similar ilk to King.

In an organisation full of suits who ride the gravy train and have no real feel for what the league community wants or needs, a fresh approach is what they need in this role.

In my opinion of course.

Frailty

First Grade
The NRL has shown a number of things:
- It is still reactionary.
- It doesn't completely understand its market.
- It doesn't present a clear future of the game - what is it aiming to achieve?
- It does not see fan participation as a key factor.

betcats

Referee
You're right, and if this mess isn't sorted it will drag Smith down too.

I mainly am referring to the constant attacks on Smith for not knowing every detail about Rugby League ever.

Ahh I see. Yes its ok to have a ceo from a business background(Ive got more problem with his union love rather then his banking background) as long as they are putting the right people in place below them. If they are not it could be disastrous.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i thought greenburg was a good appointment, but he's been a disaster. people thought Richo from souths would be good in the role he got promoted to, but i read recently no one can get hold of him.

i still think that despite all his whining, phil gould would be best in this sort of role. he's overseen the game from every angle, he's passionate about the game and he isnt interested in all the PC bullshit that goes on. he's interested in developing juniors and constantly has pushed for a halves academy.

I'd say a bloke like Jason King would be good in the role. Tough player with a law degree and importantly an understanding of what rules work and what is crap.

King may be a bolter who could potentially do well in this sort of position as well. though given he's a recent retiree i think he'd be seen too close to manly still

adamkungl

Immortal
Phil Gould's only issue is how divisive he already is really. He'd be a great head of football in theory.

Zigwaa

Bench
They brought Greenburg down to South Australia to look at the Rugby League here and he's recommended a ridiculous club restructure that they say will promote growth which in reality will do the opposite.

I also dislike like him as he took the only NRL game away from Adelaide and took it to Mackay instead.

Latest posts