What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even more Crap XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
If Farrah has evidence of what he claims, then he might have a case for constructive dismissal.

Surely only if playing FG was a condition of his contract?

I would imagine most contracts signed a player to a club, and the club is free to tell them that they can stay, but if so, they will play reserves. A player is welcome to stay and take the cash, or dash and play firsts elsewhere.

Most likely Farah manages to weasel a parting 'gift' from the club by keeping a bit more silent in the future...

Gronk

Staff member
The basics of employment law is that demotion = repudiation.

Dunno how that applies to an NRL contract however.

I reckon it's slack, but no throwing stones in glass houses here. We did it to Morts.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The basics of employment law is that demotion = repudiation.

Dunno how that applies to an NRL contract however.

I reckon it's slack, but no throwing stones in glass houses here. We did it to Morts.

Ah well, that makes some sense - I wonder though if an NRL contract implies one must take a certain role? My gut feeling is that the clubs would be fine to threaten 'you're playing reserves here next year, might want to find another gig for firsts' - but I don't know why they could do that legally!

Surely only if playing FG was a condition of his contract?

I would imagine most contracts signed a player to a club, and the club is free to tell them that they can stay, but if so, they will play reserves. A player is welcome to stay and take the cash, or dash and play firsts elsewhere.

Most likely Farah manages to weasel a parting 'gift' from the club by keeping a bit more silent in the future...

There's no problem if they're saying 'You're not good enough to play firsts anymore', but demotion (or threatened demotion) as instrument to induce someone to terminate their employment contract is a different kettle of fish.

oldmancraigy

Coach
There's no problem if they're saying 'You're not good enough to play firsts anymore', but demotion (or threatened demotion) as instrument to induce someone to terminate their employment contract is a different kettle of fish.

Well it depends on their contract?

While the concepts of demotion and promotion are very obvious in the transition between firsts and reserves, if their contract doesn't imply some kind of 'position'..... ?

Might also depend if it is being used as an instrument to terminate their employment - I can imagine that would be very difficult to prove?
'Sorry Robbie, we think you're a reserve grader next year, if you want to play firsts, we're ok with you looking for that opportunity elsewhere'
It makes the point pretty clearly, but without threatening anything. (I have no idea what they really said though)

Well it depends on their contract?

While the concepts of demotion and promotion are very obvious in the transition between firsts and reserves, if their contract doesn't imply some kind of 'position'..... ?

Might also depend if it is being used as an instrument to terminate their employment - I can imagine that would be very difficult to prove?
'Sorry Robbie, we think you're a reserve grader next year, if you want to play firsts, we're ok with you looking for that opportunity elsewhere'
It makes the point pretty clearly, but without threatening anything. (I have no idea what they really said though)

Hence, why my OP included 'if he has evidence'.

Status
Not open for further replies.