What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 R2 vs Manly

macnaz

Staff member
I really hope everyone can make to effort to go to game and ensure a decent crowd :)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Not a bad team,when Farah is fit he will walk into the 9 Jersey and Halutau/Lovett will have to battle for that bench spot (unless we want another prop but looking unlikely).

Jury is still out on Rankin on the wing. When Hunt comes back from injury he will put pressure on him.

Tigerted

Juniors
Geez I hope we have another prop in lower grades who can cut the mustard in NRL.

We must also find a quicker option on wing than rankin who I assume will serve us better as a utility when & if we get injuries in backs.Hopefully JAC gives Taylor no alternative but to promote him & soon.

At this point in relative careers Halatau is ahead of Lovett in pecking order although I haven't given up on Lovett.I like the kids attitude & he may develop into an excellent backrow for us long term.If we had 17 with rowdy's & lovett's attitude/work ethic we'd walk into the 8.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Geez I hope we have another prop in lower grades who can cut the mustard in NRL.

Dallas graham and rod griffin probably aren't too far off. They both might get jumped by JJ Felisse though. He would be the stand out prop in the NYC this year. Junior Tatola probably shaded him on the weekend but to me he would be a year or so behind Felisse in making 1st grade. I'd be surprised if Felisse isn't on the bench by the end of the year.

We must also find a quicker option on wing than rankin who I assume will serve us better as a utility when & if we get injuries in backs.Hopefully JAC gives Taylor no alternative but to promote him & soon.

At this point in relative careers Halatau is ahead of Lovett in pecking order although I haven't given up on Lovett.I like the kids attitude & he may develop into an excellent backrow for us long term.If we had 17 with rowdy's & lovett's attitude/work ethic we'd walk into the 8.

I don't mind JAC being used in reggies for a couple of weeks to see how he handles playing against the bigger fellas. You'd have to think if he is still playing above the grade in a few weeks time and Rankin doesn't improve he'd be pushing for FG selection.

Tiger05

First Grade
Geez I thought we were good out there. We have some great forwards and some great outside backs and a great spine.

Brooks/Moses/Tedesco - these 3 could be anything.
Lawrence/Ava/Sue supported by Woods/Grant/Halatau were great. Lawrence/Ava/Sue though are exactly what you need in a forward - they run hard at speed. I think the other forwards need to step up to that level. I haven't really knocked Lovett at all but I'm not sure if he will ever have that leg drive that the other players have.
Naiqama/Simona and to a lesser extent Nofo and Rankin were really good. Naiqama and Simona can be stars.

I'll mention Tedesco twice. He is a special player.

We still need some work but I think it's more players tightening up their games.

As for anyone who knocks Taupau. He was the best forward out there. He is a great player and we should have kept him.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Great game! My thoughts:

The Good:
- Tedesco...seriously...NSW selection imminent
- Front Row really gave it to Manly, Grant and Sue are f**king solid
- Moses learning to control a game and lead the team aroudn the park. I see this kid as a future captain
- Naiqama has improved massively from last year
- Nofoluma's tackle on Taupau was f**king amazing

The Bad:
- Poor goal kicking from Moses
- poor discipline...gave away too many penalties
- Halutau's crap service from dummy half

The Ugly:
- Yet again, we had a 20 minute period where we completely switched off and gave away 3 f**king tries! We are lucky that we can mitigate this with blistering attack but this is not going to get us into the 8. We need to hold our defence together FOR 80 MINUTES

BuffaloRules

Coach
Backs look really slick... Running hard and great hands...

I thought my old mate Chris Lawrence had his best game ever in the back row... Made plenty of metres and defended well..

Was impressed with Grant also...

On the negative side, Cherrington disappointed.. Looks a bit soft on defence..

Grant, Woods, Lawrence, Ava, Sue and Lovett were all very strong.

When your outside backs score all of the tries, the 6 & 7 and forwards must have done their bit and tonight, they certainly did.

Clifferd

Coach
Our attack is looking real good. Moses is going to be a superstar, also Brooks has great composure, after a year and a bit I'm finally starting to believe the hype of these youngins

Can't really fault anyone but we let in a couple softies that probably shouldn't have happened aswell as getting belted by the refs in the 1st half

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence looks damn fast in the back row. Hits the line hard and gets past the advantage line.

But even better is that he runs the most beautiful lines. His lines are so good, that when he runs ss an option/decoy, he forces the edge defenders to stop sliding, which creates an overlap for us.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
That 20 to 30 minute period where we switch off is damn ugly. We conceded 3 quick tries in both games in that period. Thats disgraceful and really takes the shinr off an otherwise good game

Tiger05

First Grade
Lawrence looks damn fast in the back row. Hits the line hard and gets past the advantage line.

But even better is that he runs the most beautiful lines. His lines are so good, that when he runs ss an option/decoy, he forces the edge defenders to stop sliding, which creates an overlap for us.

I didn't think he was going to go well in the backrow. He has been awesome. So good to watch. I think he was our best forward out there.

Fordy20

Juniors
We've had some beauties over the years. Always seems to be heaps of feeling. One of my favourite ever Tigers games was in 09 v manly at the sfs on Monday night where we won 19-18 after manly missed 2 shots at field goal in the last minute.

Keithy always fired up for manly, wish he had of played that angry every week.

I remember that one. It was a cracker. The match the week after was heartbreaking. We won against the Rorters, but Mighty Mouse broke his leg. Sheens then moved Moltzen back to fullback and we lost any hope of playing finals football.

We looked very good tonight. With Kev and Simona in the centres, we have potency on both sides of the field now, rather than a strong left side and a ho hum right side. Moses is showing what all the hype is about, he's been terrific this year (and to be fair to the kid, he finished last year very strongly as well). Brooks also had a strong game and Tedesco....well what is there left to say about this guy? If he can't get a NSW jersey this year, he never will.

The forwards also really stood up. Grant has put a few poor years behind him and getting back to his best (which in my opinion is on par with Woodsy). Lawrence is starting to thrive in the back row and Woodsy just keeps going. Sue is starting to look the goods as well. The bench put in some good shifts as well tonight.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Lawrence should be considered for origin, seriously. He is one of the form back rowers in the NRL, has experience and won't be over awed. There is no way Scott, Hoffman, Jackson etc are better options then he would be.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I remember that one. It was a cracker. The match the week after was heartbreaking. We won against the Rorters, but Mighty Mouse broke his leg. Sheens then moved Moltzen back to fullback and we lost any hope of playing finals football.

Totally agree mate. Come the 2009 finals the form teams were the storm, eels and us. Too bad we finished 9th. Moltzen was always a good 7 but horrible 1. We missed some valuable finals experience for 2010/11. Anyways ancient history now.