What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra wants to play for Australia

I always thought Fulton was a tosser and now he's just confirmed it, again. SoO is a joke that only the Australians don't get. You will do anything to shoehorn a player into a blue or maroon jersey and don't care where he comes from as long as he gives you what you think is an advantage over the other state.
Fulton was a £10 pom who got lucky in his coaching career as his teams always seemed to to get more than their fair share of 50/50 calls and heaven help a ref who didn't give him that advantage that he always thought he was entitled to.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not saying Sam or his brothers wouldn't play for NSW if there was a rule change, but never in a million years would the Burgess brothers play for Australia as they are pround Englishmen. If Radrada plays for Australia i think we can safely say he's not a pround Fijian.

Firstly, how about you look at the money Semi sends home and the work he does in the Fijian community both here and there before you talk absolute shit.

Secondly, he should be able to play for NSW and Fiji, if he desires. Origin should be secondary to international and I can't understand what the harm is in guys like Semi playing for NSW and Fiji. If he wants to play for Australia, that's his choice as a qualified citizen. Simple.

JohnDoe

Juniors
But but SOO is for NSW and Queensland players. Having Kiwi and English players involved will dilute it. But it's ok to choose a Fijian? Make up your mind already talk about wanting to move the goal posts. Everybody knows SOO is nothing but a glorified all stars match, it dosen't even have all the best players involved it.

Stop wasting everyone's time and allow players who have dual eligibility to play SOO an play for a country other than Australia. It will happen.

deluded pom?

Coach
But but SOO is for NSW and Queensland players. Having Kiwi and English players involved will dilute it. But it's ok to choose a Fijian? Make up your mind already talk about wanting to move the goal posts. Everybody knows SOO is nothing but a glorified all stars match, it dosen't even have all the best players involved it.

Stop wasting everyone's time and allow players who have dual eligibility to play SOO an play for a country other than Australia. It will happen.

Here, here.

The Great Dane

First Grade

No it's not ok to choose a Fijian that is so obviously not eligible to play for NSW, it'd set a precedent that'd allow Queensland and NSW to pick players that aren't even loosely connected to the state they are playing for, and it'd lead to SOO truly becoming a "glorified all stars match", a joke, and eventually lead to it's death.

That being said opening up the eligibility rules to allow players to play both SOO and for counties other then Australia would also do the exact same thing.

Now don't get me wrong I hate SOO as much as the next guy, I'm not from NSW or Queensland so it's just a very annoying distraction for me, however if the NRL looses SOO then they loose a massive chunk of their income, a chunk so big that it'd effect the NRL's ability to compete with it's competitors in Australia (particularly in areas outside of NSW and Queensland), and it'd probably force them to cut funding to the things they do internationally also, which means that the competitiveness of the PI nations, the Kiwis, and England would be effected also.

The NRL would also lose it's most recognised product and it's biggest marketing tool within Australia(whether we like that or not), and that would also severely effect the NRLs' ability to grow the sport outside of NSW, Queensland and the ACT.

I'm not convinced that international RL is ready to fill the gap that SOO would leave in the NRLs' pockets or in it's arsenal to grow the sport nationally, in fact I'm certain that it won't be able to, yet.
It's simply just not popular enough yet in Australia, and until we have something that can fill the gap that is left by SOO we simply cannot afford to lose SOO, unless we want to set back the growth of RL 10 years plus.

deluded pom?

Coach
It's not a case of losing SoO, it's been given away by diluting the criteria to be eligible for either state. What was the point of bringing in new eligibility rules only to throw them out of the window as soon as a non eligible player decides he wants to play Origin? 'spud called this one months ago. Radradra isn't eligible for Origin under the current rules and neither should he be. Unfortunately the international rules allow him to jump ship after three years in Australia. Why the big hooha about not being available for NSW but OK for Australia? What would happen if a player from Perth was good enough to make the NRL but didn't meet SoO eligibility? He would be in exactly the same boat as Radradra. Unless of course there would be moves to change the rules just to accommodate him. You've made the rules now fecking stick to them please.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's not a case of losing SoO, it's been given away by diluting the criteria to be eligible for either state. What was the point of bringing in new eligibility rules only to throw them out of the window as soon as a non eligible player decides he wants to play Origin? 'spud called this one months ago. Radradra isn't eligible for Origin under the current rules and neither should he be. Unfortunately the international rules allow him to jump ship after three years in Australia. Why the big hooha about not being available for NSW but OK for Australia? What would happen if a player from Perth was good enough to make the NRL but didn't meet SoO eligibility? He would be in exactly the same boat as Radradra. Unless of course there would be moves to change the rules just to accommodate him. You've made the rules now fecking stick to them please.

You're jumping the gun.

Radradra isn't eligible for SOO and the rules haven't been changed to allow him to be eligible.
In fact the last time that the eligibility rules were changed they were made much tighter, not looser, and that took a few years and people from all parties involved to push through. Do you really think that the Queenslanders are going to be ok with Radradra playing for NSW, because I highly doubt it.

Big Mal has already come out and said that if Radradra declares for Australia he'd be considered for a Roos jersey (though he'd prefer see him playing for Fiji), but that the SOO rules shouldn't be changed.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/the-problem-with-call-to-have-fijian-winger-semi-radradra-selected-to-play-for-australia/news-story/382263474cc074e1d42b2a17c2fa8870

As far as I know nobody with any real power in either the NRL or the ARLC has ever suggested that they think the rule should be changed, maybe some vague lip service but that's it.

The only people pushing for the rules to be loosend are some Daily Telegraph journos (the extremely biased and known to have made sh!t up sort) and some dinosaurs from NSW desperate for an advantage over the Queenslanders.

The only way this rule gets changed before SOO this year is if Greenberg uses' this 'issue' as a way to stamp his authority and appease some of his News overlords, which is a possibility, but a very unlikely one.
Unless that happens there is a couple of years of fighting to get the rule changed (assuming that both NSW and QLD agree to move for the rule to be changed) by which time it's most likely that the Fijian flavor of the month wont be Radradra anymore, just like it's not Sisa Waqa, Akuila Uate, Eto Nabuli, or Marika Koroibete anymore and hopefully this idea to change the rules has been long forgotten.

What people Like you and I should be talking about is how to get the international eligibility rules tightened, not about this.

Firstly, how about you look at the money Semi sends home and the work he does in the Fijian community both here and there before you talk absolute shit.

Secondly, he should be able to play for NSW and Fiji, if he desires. Origin should be secondary to international and I can't understand what the harm is in guys like Semi playing for NSW and Fiji. If he wants to play for Australia, that's his choice as a qualified citizen. Simple.
How much money does Semi dend home to his family in Fiji i don't know but you obviously do?
I have no objections to him playing for NSW. My objections are that he is a born and bred Fijian who has played for Fiji at international level so for the good of international Rugby League should be made to stick with Fiji.

Sime_11

Juniors
here's an idea

No match payments for International RL, it should be an honour to play for your country, to the point where players should have the attitude that they want to play for their country for free.

all money/income raised from International games should go back towards grassroots and infrastructure.....

back on topic, Semi should be ineligible for Australia, if he has already represented Fiji, that's who he plays for.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I bet those who are now saying he should be playing were the ones that wanted the rules changed.

I for one would rather him playing for Fiji for the sake of the International game and have Fiji play more tests in either Fiji or here in Australia.

We've seen so many good Fijian players in the last 5 years, and we're hoping to see them get stronger.

But if he's decided to put his hand up for Australia, then fine, but I would be a damn shame if it rules him out of playing for Fiji in the 2017 World Cup.

As for a player who's played all his junior football in Australia, but not in NSW or QLD, and is good enough to play for the Kangaroos, it would not surprise me if the ARLC made him eligible for either state.

Leave State of Origin alone and keep the International game stronger.

flamin

Juniors
Good comments from Mal Meninga:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/the...a/news-story/382263474cc074e1d42b2a17c2fa8870

Semi Radradra set to make international switch to Australia with request to be lodged

21 hours ago
by James Hooper
Source: FOX SPORTS
UPDATE: The Semi Trailer is poised to make himself available for green and gold selection for the Kangaroos as early as this week by penning an official letter switching his eligibility from Fiji to Australia.

Radradra’s agent George Christodolou has told Fox Sports the flying Fijian speedster wants to try and claim the mantle as the world’s best winger and playing in the green and gold will provide the international platform to truly showcase his status.

With Radradra eligible to switch his allegiance after living in Australia for three years, the development will give Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga a wealth of selection options for the mid-season trans-Tasman Test match.

Radradra’s agent told Fox Sports the Fijian would pen a letter to the NRL’s general manager of League Integration and Development Andrew Hill as early as this week to stipulate his desire to play for the Kangaroos.

With the Kangaroos enjoying a rare international break at the end of last year, the incumbent wingers from last year’s trans-Tasman Test are Josh Dugan and Alex Johnston.

In the form Radradra is currently in, there is no question the Eels flyer would be pressing for a place in the Australia side.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga confirmed as much when queried on Radradra by Fox Sports, with the caveat that it would be good for the international game if the star winger continued to represent Fiji.

“Firstly, I won’t be trying to influence Semi one way or the other, at the end of the day it’s got to be his decision,” Meninga said.

“But if I put my international game hat on I must say I do think it would be fantastic for Semi to be playing for Fiji at the World Cup next year.

“The prospect of having personality players like Semi Radradra and Marika Koroibete playing for Fiji can only be a good thing.

“If we’re serious about building the international game and growing the game in the Pacific, you won’t get a better advertisement than Semi Radradra.

“As for the push from some people about him playing for NSW, the rules are in place for a reason.

“If we just go changing the rules whenever it suits, I’m not sure that’s a good thing.”

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Radradra?s agent George Christodolou has told Fox Sports the flying Fijian speedster wants to try and claim the mantle as the world?s best winger and playing in the green and gold will provide the international platform to truly showcase his status.

Oh Semi told you that did he, Mr Agent?

What a crock. Ol' George has got $$$$ in his eyes

latingringo101

Juniors
Semi has gone down a similar path to Uate where he represented Fiji for a few years and then decided to switch (firstly) to the Blues and then Australia.

Semi however has taken the opposite approach and decided to play for the Kangaroos.

This doesn't surprise me because it's happened numerous times before and generally stars who have played for a country apart from the big 3 and then become superstars are eventually picked for these bigger nations.

I will however be surprised if he's picked for Origin because Radradra DID NOT play in NSWRL until at least 18/19 years old. I think you need to play in your selected state before 12 years old.

Sinman

Juniors
The problem is that if the NRL is the best competition in the world and mostly played out of Australia that means that the best 17 players in the world are likely to be eligible for Australia on residency grounds.. That means that even at time when Australia are looking a little weak.. like right now they can boost their stocks in other ways.. this hurts the international game!! Where this can end up is NZ playing and Australian team that in the future could be made up of a whole bunch on Fijians, NZ's who want to play origin and so on... It's not just about Semi.. it's about the whole thing..

Burns

First Grade
That's the most positive thing Mal has said about international league ever, I just fell off my chair.

siv

First Grade
Australia to a simply say if you cant play for a state of Australia you cant represent the Kangaroos - based upon SOO qualification process

Semi fails this test

He played the Pacific Cup last year also

We shouldnt allow players to swap nations without a 2y waiting period except if you swap from the big 3 to a Tier 2 nation

deal.with.it

Juniors
We shouldnt allow players to swap nations without a 2y waiting period except if you swap from the big 3 to a Tier 2 nation

That is ridiculous! There should be no swapping without a 2 year standdown period - for all nations! We are a global sport. We need to start acting like it. Cricket, union, netball etc. have all gone through the hard times of uneven comps and cricket scores.