What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels release Kieran Foran

Happy MEel

First Grade
I responded to your post above

Poorly. You avoided my differentiation between Edwards' and Tep's runs for run metres and their differing attacking effectiveness, which was your whole argument - runs for run metres is the sole measure of attacking onfield contribution.

Don't forget this doozy:
"You can tell the effectiveness of Scott's attack with one simple and very telling statistic - number of carries."

EelsFan05

Bench
There a 30 minute interview between Rothfield and Foran on the DT website. I can't work out how to post the link.

Firstly, the bloke loves a good lip smacking. Secondly, it's baffling that BA made him captain after he was booked into a mental health clinic before Christmas. And lastly, the merkin will be at the Bulldogs next year.

Not one thankyou to the club, fans or team mates that stood by him when he was at his worst.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes they are. But according to you, Moeroa is the better attacking player by default because "You can tell the effectiveness of [Scott's] attack with one simple and very telling statistic - number of carries."

Moeroa is a better attacking player than plenty of people. But he was less effective in the middle than Watmough, even though he was more effective than Scott.

I'm not arguing that Scott is a better attacking player than Tep, Edwards or Watmough. He's not. I'm saying that his overall onfield contribution, being his exceptional defence and adequate attack, has been more than Watmough's last year (higher work rate with more errors/missed tackles and less attacking THREAT). A nice way to look at it is the team's performance without them playing.

Agreed. And we went downhill very quickly last year without Watmough. We might be doing the same thing right now without Scott, but we are without so many other key players that it's impossible to judge the cause.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's nice. What about the previous 13 games? We had a winning percentage of 41% last year when Watmough was playing. This dropped to 29% when he wasn't playing. We have a 59% winning percentage with Scott in the team and although it's a small sample size, we have a 0% winning percentage without him in the team.
It is indeed a small sample. And as I've already pointed out, Scott's absence has coincided with some other important absences, including a number of top 17 edge defenders. I think our defence in the middle hasn't been too shoddy, but our edge defence has been poor, plus our lack of key attackers has led to higher risk play, more turnovers, and therefore more pressure on our defence. I'm sure Scott would have improved things on the defensive side, but our attack has lost nothing without him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Poorly. You avoided my differentiation between Edwards' and Tep's runs for run metres and their differing attacking effectiveness, which was your whole argument - runs for run metres is the sole measure of attacking onfield contribution.

At their respective positions (edge forward) it is a massive indicator of importance and impact. Of course game changers like offloads, linebreaks, tries and their assists are very important when comparing edge forwards too. I find tackle breaks another telling stat (especially for forwards) and Edwards leads out pack (if not our team) in that statistic most weeks.

Don't forget this doozy:
"You can tell the effectiveness of Scott's attack with one simple and very telling statistic - number of carries."
That's right.

phantom eel

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ite-of-shooting-incident-20160730-gqhdxz.html

Fox Sports pulls Foran interview
Fox Sports has an interview with Kieran Foran in the can, but highly placed Fox executives are not certain it can, or should, be run. It would require a significant backflip for the story to be aired as insiders say it has been pulled.

The problem with the chat is not Foran, or what he said. It's more to do with the way the interview came to them: through a media figure who has a relationship with Eddie Hayson, a relationship that is being investigated by News Corp, which has a significant investment in Fox.

Foran doesn't hide his friendship with Hayson, and he is prepared to discuss that openly with the NRL if they want. Hayson is playing a significant part in Foran's life and Hayson was with Foran and his brother Liam at Fox Sports when the interview took place.

Also in their company was Phil Rothfield, who conducted the interview. Fox were fine with that, as they had no idea about what was about to be written in The Sydney Morning Herald on Friday where Rothfield's relationship with Hayson was highlighted and brought into question.

Rothfield conducted the interview for Fox and The Sunday Telegraph. Decision-makers at Fox feel their interview is compromised.

There is a school of thought Foran pulled the interview after I had a chat with him. That conversation will remain between me and Foran.

The real loser in this is Foran, who has been frustrated. He feels he has been misrepresented in many stories that have appeared in the media recently. There is no question Rothfield would have given Foran a fair platform to express himself.

Rothfield respond to an attempt to contact him, and we had an off-the-record conversation.

Foran is still receiving professional help to deal with his mental health issues and has started fitness work.

phantom eel

First Grade
I actually feel for the guy.

Diagnosis bipolar, weekly psychologist sessions, weekly skype psychiatrist sessions, daily medication etc.

Speaks openly about how bad things got for him, breakup of releationship from November, asking BA for help in December and doing a three week stint in a hospital clinic, child born and things still swirling around such that he attempts suicide by tablets in April, does another three week clinic stay in May.

He can only answer the questionsbuzz qasks him, so I don't care that he didn't mention our players - they've been his teammates for what seven months of a seven year plus career. Foran is obviously close to Brad Arthur, and as we've seen this season, BA is "the club" - why would Foran credit anyone else in our joint for the support?

Clearly isn't thinking about his next contract yet, sounds like he's come a long way reigning in his drinking, gambling, approach to depression, and management of his condition. So much came from the breakup of his long-term relationship, including 3 hour round trips to attend training, lack of sleep and it's impact on not being able to maintain things at a new club in the face of what was unfolding for him.

I wish the guy all the best, must be good to be able to address the rumours, and sounds like time away from league is the best outcome for all concerned.

phantom eel

First Grade
Yes it is merkin. But we lost because Beau Scott.
You're having your usual strawman discussion.

Your original treatise was that Watmough made a better contribution to the team than Scott - not the reasons why Wests outscored us. Again, you've failed to construct an evidence base in support of your original choice of pre-determined agenda - chalk up another failed experiement in logic!

Latest posts